Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Newbe - LCD serial interface

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stan4th

stan4th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

Hi,
this is probably a simple one - if a part is advertised as an LCD which interfaces to microcontrollers through a serial bus interface - do I need additional parts? Is so what would they be?

The advert detailed spec says :-

It uses the PCD8544 controller. The PCD8544 is a low power CMOS LCD controller/driver, designed to drive a graphic display of 48 rows and 84 columns. All necessary functions for the display are provided in a single chip, including on-chip generation of LCD supply and bias voltages, resulting in a minimum of external components and low power consumption. The PCD8544 interfaces to microcontrollers through a serial bus interface.

Thanks

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:50 AM

The PCD8544 interface is compatible with the SPI of the Netduino. Although you won't able to reach a decent speed of data exchange, due the handshake of the D/C line. If your aim is just to play with a LCD and the Netduino, I guess you may try. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:29 AM

this is probably a simple one - if a part is advertised as an LCD which interfaces to microcontrollers through a serial bus interface - do I need additional parts? Is so what would they be?

I do not think you need any additional parts in order to use the display from the Netduino - at least in order to get going. Reading the data sheet you should be able to do all you need to using SPI and a few additional pins for reset etc. You may need additional parts if you decide to expand your project and start running low on available pins.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

If I'm correct, the PCD8544 controller is the same used in old Nokia 3310 devices. You could try this code: http://forums.netdui...-nuelectronics/ Is the display simular to this one by any chance? http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10168
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.