Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Updating Firmware Failure

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart Crawshaw

Stuart Crawshaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationLeeds, United Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hi All,

I am currently having a major problem updating the firmware on my netduino.

Here are the steps i am taking:

• Open MFDEPLOY.exe
  • Click Ping (Get response "Pinging... TinyCLR")
  • Browse for update files and click Deploy
  • Progress bar says the following:
  • Connecting to device
  • Connecting to TinyBooter
  • Checking Signatures
  • Erasing 0x0010C000
  • Deploying ER_FLASH
  • Checking Signature
  • Executing Application
The progress window then closes and i am left with an output of:
Pinging... TinyCLR
Chk siCh

If i try anything else in MFDEPLOY after this, i get "Pinging... Error: No response from device"

If i disconnect it from power and then reconnect, i can then ping it but i dont think the Firmware is properly installed.

Any clues?

Thanks.
Intelligent People Aren't Afraid To Ask For Help.

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

Hi Stuart Crawshaw, Welcome to the boards! In MFDeploy, if you click Target->Device Capabilities, what does it output? And which firmware version did you had before, and to which version you're trying to upgrade?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Stuart Crawshaw

Stuart Crawshaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hi Stuart Crawshaw,

Welcome to the boards!
In MFDeploy, if you click Target->Device Capabilities, what does it output?
And which firmware version did you had before, and to which version you're trying to upgrade?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. If i run the Device Capabilities option i get:

HalSystemInfo.halVersion:               4.2.0.0
HalSystemInfo.halVendorInfo:            Netduino (v4.2.0.0 b1) by Secret Labs LLC
HalSystemInfo.oemCode:                  34
HalSystemInfo.modelCode:                177
HalSystemInfo.skuCode:                  4096
HalSystemInfo.moduleSerialNumber:       00000000000000000000000000000000
HalSystemInfo.systemSerialNumber:       0000000000000000
ClrInfo.clrVersion:                     4.2.0.0
ClrInfo.clrVendorInfo:                  Netduino (v4.2.0.0 b1) by Secret Labs LLC
ClrInfo.targetFrameworkVersion:         4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion:    4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVendorInfo: Netduino (v4.2.0.0 b1) by Secret Labs LLC
SoftwareVersion.BuildDate:              Jun  8 2011
SoftwareVersion.CompilerVersion:        400902
FloatingPoint:                          True
SourceLevelDebugging:                   True
ThreadCreateEx:                         True
LCD.Width:                              0
LCD.Height:                             0
LCD.BitsPerPixel:                       0
AppDomains:                             True
ExceptionFilters:                       True
IncrementalDeployment:                  True
SoftReboot:                             True
Profiling:                              False
ProfilingAllocations:                   False
ProfilingCalls:                         False
IsUnknown:                              False

which does seem like it has updated. But what is concerming me is that it may not be fully updated/stable as all the output from MFDeploy is not there.

I have updated from the stock FW when i bought the unit, to the 4.2 beta 1 version (including the bootloader), then tried a non-beta (4.1.0.6 i think) and that had the same output result in MFDeploy and now I have tried again with the beta (as the above output would suggest.

But as mentioned before, due to the output (or lack thereof) i am dubious as to whether it has updated correctly.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Hi Stuart, It looks like you're all set. Sometimes MFDeploy needs a quick disconnect/reconnect of your device after updating...the Device Capabilities info (and the fact that your Netduino is booting into the TinyCLR runtime) means that it updated correctly. Please go ahead and deploy some apps to your Netduino. If it gives you any troubles, we'll be here to help sort it out. The good thing about Netduino is that, since it's open source, you can erase and reflash it any way you'd like...and there's a community of nice folks here to help if you run into troubles. Chris

#5 Stuart Crawshaw

Stuart Crawshaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Hi Stuart,

It looks like you're all set. Sometimes MFDeploy needs a quick disconnect/reconnect of your device after updating...the Device Capabilities info (and the fact that your Netduino is booting into the TinyCLR runtime) means that it updated correctly.

Please go ahead and deploy some apps to your Netduino. If it gives you any troubles, we'll be here to help sort it out. The good thing about Netduino is that, since it's open source, you can erase and reflash it any way you'd like...and there's a community of nice folks here to help if you run into troubles.

Chris

Awesome, thanks confirming that all is ok.

Just to confirm, MFDeploy doesnt need to give a full output for the update to be successful? (as I tend to only get "Chk s" or "Chk signa" but never a full line of text... :(

#6 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

I have updated from the stock FW when i bought the unit, to the 4.2 beta 1 version (including the bootloader), then tried a non-beta (4.1.0.6 i think) and that had the same output result in MFDeploy and now I have tried again with the beta (as the above output would suggest.

Hi Stuard,

When you went from 4.1.x to 4.2b1 you also updated the bootloader. When you tried to go back to 4.1.x, did you wrote back the older bootloader as well?

-edit- I see it's already solved? Darn you're fast! :D
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Awesome, thanks confirming that all is ok.

Just to confirm, MFDeploy doesnt need to give a full output for the update to be successful? (as I tend to only get "Chk s" or "Chk signa" but never a full line of text... :(

MFDeploy sometimes doesn't print the entire text...there's some buffering going on. But the .NET MF runtime does a bit of signature checking each time you boot it. There are multiple levels of verification built in.

Chris

#8 Stuart Crawshaw

Stuart Crawshaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Hi Stuard,

When you went from 4.1.x to 4.2b1 you also updated the bootloader. When you tried to go back to 4.1.x, did you wrote back the older bootloader as well?

I did indeed. And just to confirm, i verified the written bootloader with the file using SAM-BA.

#9 Stuart Crawshaw

Stuart Crawshaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

MFDeploy sometimes doesn't print the entire text...there's some buffering going on. But the .NET MF runtime does a bit of signature checking each time you boot it. There are multiple levels of verification built in.

Chris

Thats good to know,

Seems I am good to go. i just deployed the very well known "blinking LED" code and it deployed and run successfully.

I have however noticed that when deploying, i will sometimes get a message along the lines of "Debbugger not in an initilized state; rebooting" but it does not seem to do anything.

It it just a case of disconnecting the device/pushing the reset button at this point and trying again?

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

I have however noticed that when deploying, i will sometimes get a message along the lines of "Debbugger not in an initilized state; rebooting" but it does not seem to do anything.

It it just a case of disconnecting the device/pushing the reset button at this point and trying again?

Yes, please try that.

Also...we created a patch in the v4.1 firmware which helped fix this issue. We removed the patch in v4.2, since Microsoft incorporated a permanent fix for the issue there. If you are running into new issues with 4.2, we'd love to know more...so we can update the bug ticket at netmf.codeplex.com.

Thanks for helping test 4.2!

Chris

#11 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

Also...we created a patch in the v4.1 firmware which helped fix this issue. We removed the patch in v4.2, since Microsoft incorporated a permanent fix for the issue there. If you are running into new issues with 4.2, we'd love to know more...so we can update the bug ticket at netmf.codeplex.com.

Chris,

Is that the one mentioned in this ticket? http://netmf.codeple...m/workitem/1049

#12 Stuart Crawshaw

Stuart Crawshaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Yes, please try that.

Thanks for helping test 4.2!

Chris

Running 4.2, i still get the Debugger not in an initialized state, rebooting message.
Hitting the reset button does nothing, pulling the power and re-inserting it seems to move things along.

#13 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

Hi Stefan, Stuart: It appears that the original issue pre-dated use of the CodePlex issue tracker. Could you please post a bug report on this at netmf.codeplex.com (stating that 4.1 worked, but 4.2 does not) and we'll fill Microsoft in on the details? The lead engineers on the NETMF team will remember the issue, as they spent considerable time solving it. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.