Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Attach a PS2 Keyboard to Netduino Plus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Daniele Salvatore Albano

Daniele Salvatore Albano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hi to all, this is my first question here :) I need to build a simple device that sends over ethernet an udp packet when a key on ps2 keyboard is pressed. Specifically i'm going to attach only the numpad and nothing else (i need only 4 keys). Looking around i've seen that netduino have some issues (related to the firmware) that cause some troubles when using a ps2 connected to netduino (using arduino schematic) http://forums.netdui...rd-timing-woes/ Before i buy this stuff, can someone confirm that i can attach a ps2 keyboard to netduino? (and link some docs :)) I'd really like a lot the idea to use C#/Micro Framework to develop on arduino :) Thank you!!!

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hi Daniele, Welcome to the Netduino community! I haven't had a PS/2 device connected to my netduino yet, although it should be possible to program a driver for it. Since you only need 4 keys, could this be a cheap and easy solution? http://forums.netdui...ver-and-scheme/
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Daniele Salvatore Albano

Daniele Salvatore Albano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

Thank for your answer! Yes, it's perfect ... now i must found an european distributor (italy preferred) ... it will be hard :) In any case, there are problems with PS2? PS: sorry, i've seen only now that there is a section on the forum for the netduino plus :\

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

Yes, it's perfect ... now i must found an european distributor (italy preferred) ... it will be hard :)

Check http://www.sparkfun.com/distributors and search for Italy. There are several distributors.

PS: sorry, i've seen only now that there is a section on the forum for the netduino plus :\

No problem at all, it's quite a general question, not Plus specific so far. I moved it to Netduino Plus for you :)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#5 Daniele Salvatore Albano

Daniele Salvatore Albano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Check http://www.sparkfun.com/distributors and search for Italy. There are several distributors.

No problem at all, it's quite a general question, not Plus specific so far. I moved it to Netduino Plus for you :)

Thank you.

I've checked all italian distributors, no way ... i'm going to check all german distributors.

Anyway, for another long-term project i need to use a barcode ... so, in the end, i'll probably use a netduino plus with a ps2 attached (if it's correctly supported)

#6 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

Hi Daniele and Stefan.
It seems that the PS/2 interface looks very close to the SPI one. So far, I guess should be pretty easy to connect either a keyboard or even a mouse to the Netduino (any model).
Please check at these docs.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#7 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

Hi Daniele and Stefan.
It seems that the PS/2 interface looks very close to the SPI one. So far, I guess should be pretty easy to connect either a keyboard or even a mouse to the Netduino (any model).
Please check at these docs.
Cheers

Ohh that looks interesting actually! Not exactly like SPI because one pin is used for both Rx and Tx and there is no CS pin, but it looks like the host defines the clock and that makes it possible for Netduino to work with.

-edit- I see a success-post here: http://forums.netdui...rd-timing-woes/
Requires modification to the firmware though. Perhaps it would be nice if PS/2 support would be built-in the firmware. Chris, reading this? :rolleyes:

#8 Daniele Salvatore Albano

Daniele Salvatore Albano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

this would be awesome :) by the way, there are contraindications in using that firmware patch?

#9 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

by the way, there are contraindications in using that firmware patch?

I always advise to use stable soft/firmware, especially when you're new to Netduino. On the other hand, it's always possible to reload stable firmware when you encounter any problems. So no harm in trying it out.

#10 Daniele Salvatore Albano

Daniele Salvatore Albano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

I always advise to use stable soft/firmware, especially when you're new to Netduino. On the other hand, it's always possible to reload stable firmware when you encounter any problems. So no harm in trying it out.

ok, thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.