Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

.NET Micro Framework minimun requirements

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dixon

Dixon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hi, Netduino specs says it has: Code Storage: 128 KB ● RAM: 60 KB but the minimun specs for .net micro framework are Minimum of 256KB RAM and 512K Flash/ROM (http://msdn.microsof...mework/bb278106). How is it possible it to work?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Hi Dixon, The Netduino's microcontroller has 512KB of flash and 128KB of RAM. The 128KB of flash and 60KB of RAM is the amount of space remaining for your Netduino app. BTW, welcome to the Netduino community. Chris

#3 Dixon

Dixon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:25 AM

Hi Chris, Thank you, I'm very excited with the Netduino, even though I'm looking forward to have a Netduino Plus ;) Yesterday I was looking for more documentation on the .NET MF arquitecture and Netduino SDK, and found the page I posted the link that says the minimun specs for .NET MF is 256KB of RAM, where it seems the Netduino is only requiring 68KB of RAM for operating. Is it because it only load a part of the .NET MF? or am I missing something? Regards, Dixon

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

Yesterday I was looking for more documentation on the .NET MF arquitecture and Netduino SDK, and found the page I posted the link that says the minimun specs for .NET MF is 256KB of RAM, where it seems the Netduino is only requiring 68KB of RAM for operating. Is it because it only load a part of the .NET MF? or am I missing something?

Some features, such as WPF for .NET Micro Framework, aren't included on Netduino. This enables lower flash and RAM usage. There is no need for an in-RAM memory buffer, for instance.

Technically, you can run .NET Micro Framework on a chip with just 256KB of Flash and 64KB of RAM (like the SAM7S256 chip)...but that leaves very, very little resources for your app.

Chris

#5 Dixon

Dixon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

WPF is available on .NET MF? Wow!!! I'm impressed. I don't find too much documentation on .NET MF but seems to be very interesting. I did a HelloWorld for Netduino in just 10 mins, able to comunicate trough the serial port, responding to interrupts, and using multiple threads. It's very very easy! I'm curious how do you configure/know what parts of .NET MF are included in the build for Netduino and what doesn't. Where can I find more documentation/info?

#6 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

WPF is available on .NET MF? Wow!!! I'm impressed.

Don't impress too much: the MF supports something that someone called "WPF" (hugely over-extimated). The real problem is the hardware having very few resources.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#7 Mark H

Mark H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:05 AM

WPF in NetMF and WPF on the PC are vastly different, there is pretty much no similarity. The NetMF guys have not understood what WPF is all about and pretty much just created winforms.... Don't be too impressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.