Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Sparkfun Nokia 6100 Color LCD

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Acumen

Acumen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:44 AM

Just picked one up, has anyone played around with one of these? http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=8600 I would really like to see some code to get my bearings. I have experience with C#, but have never interfaced with anything like this. http://www.sparkfun....play Driver.pdf I have not had alot of time at my disposal recently, which makes learning this stuff with out a direct tutorial difficult. After powering up the board, I think I can get some minimal functions to start (aka write to the screen) by connecting the following: CS - Chip Select - ground? SCK - Clock Signal - (6MHz?) - Pin 11? DIO - Digital Input - Pin 12? Then start playing around with the SPI class and hopefully things work out. Pascal06 has posted on using the nokia 3310 screen: http://forums.netdui...-nuelectronics/ I am hoping the SPI stuff given will be easy to modify for the 6100.

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

CS - Chip Select - ground?
SCK - Clock Signal - (6MHz?) - Pin 11?
DIO - Digital Input - Pin 12?

LCD CS - Ground (or Netudino Pin 4 [SPI0_NPCS0] if you want software control)
LCD SCK - Netduino Pin 13 [SPI0_SPCK]
LCD DIO - Netduino Pin 11 [SPI0_MOSI]

Then start playing around with the SPI class and hopefully things work out.

Unfortunately, they will not. The Nokia 6100 LCD controller uses 9-bit SPI, which is not currently supported by the Netduino firmware - it allows only 8 or 16 bit transfers. The microprocessor supports use of 8 to 16 bits per transfer (i.e. 8, 9, 10, .. 16), so it is moreless matter of the SPI configuration to allow appropriate setting. You can try to use software SPI (bit toggling, then you can wire any two Netduino pins I/O), but I am afraid it will be slow...

#3 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

Or you can try to combine software SPI with 8-bit transfer provided by SPI class: toggle pin to transfer the 9th bit (Data/Cmd) and then send 8 bits via SPI.

#4 Acumen

Acumen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

Is variable bit SPI something planned for future firmware updates? Or is it far down the list? I will probably try a software solution for now as it would be a good learning process. Thanks for all the info, hopefully I will have time some night this week to play around a bit and get some code up.

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

Is variable bit SPI something planned for future firmware updates? Or is it far down the list?

I will probably try a software solution for now as it would be a good learning process.

I just put it on the feature request list. We didn't have any plans for it, but we'll look into it. As far as how far down the list, it'll be behind networking and SD card support... But we tend to implement features based on how many of our users would use them. If you can get a few people to pitch in and say this is important to them (and someone doesn't post a quick C# solution first), I can bump it up the list :)

Chris

#6 cakalapati

cakalapati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

I would also love to see support for the Nokia 6100 Color LCD Shield http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=9363

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:43 AM

I would also love to see support for the Nokia 6100 Color LCD Shield
http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=9363

cakalapati, welcome to the Netduino community!

We're looking at adding variable-bit SPI in an upcoming firmware update. Perhaps this will be a good shield to use for testing it? :)

Chris

#8 cakalapati

cakalapati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:29 AM

Do you have a ballpark date for that firmware release? I would love to volunteer as a tester and even try to port the LCD shield to the netduino platform.

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:09 AM

Do you have a ballpark date for that firmware release? I would love to volunteer as a tester and even try to port the LCD shield to the netduino platform.

Best guess is 3 weeks or so... We're doing a lot of SPI-related enhancements.

Should we start a thread to discuss? lso, it would be fantastic if you ported the shield!

Chris

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:19 AM

Variable-bit SPI (8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, or 16 bits) has been added to the latest pre-release Netduino firmware.

http://forums.netdui...e-v411-alpha-3/

Chris

#11 Ben Crundwell

Ben Crundwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

I'm in a similar situation and am using the new variable bit firmware. Has anyone got this display working yet? Mine just sits with a blue screen and doesn't appear to change after I send the initialisation commands down. Unfortunately I don't have a DSO at home so cant test my signals to confirm the 9bit SPI is working, but if anyone else has got further it would be nice to check I'm sending the right stuff

#12 Ben Crundwell

Ben Crundwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Well i've got the display working now, seems the Chip Select doesn't work correctly on all GPIOs and the display requires an SPI clock greater than 15MHz. All working now other than my blacks appear very very blue. Have messed with the contrast settings extensively but can never get it to look good. Reds look very pink and everything looks washed out. Starting to think it might be a faulty display, anyone else seen the same thing?

#13 PhilG

PhilG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:00 AM

I have a Netduino Plus on order from Sparkfun. Hoping it comes soon. I have been playing with the color LCD shield on an Uno and got it working pretty well after removing the 33 ohm resistor in series with the switcher input that was dropping the 5v to about 2.5 and making some heat. That could never have possibly worked! Anyway I have been using the bit banged SPI software library that Mark Sproul wrote and the very helpful tutorial in tronixstuff. I want to use this shield with a Wifly shield both using the SPI peripheral of the AT19 with different CS for each. If you post a library I will try it as soon as the board shows up. Also I suggest that unused uP port pins be brought to uncommitted pads for use by other devices not connected through the Arduino connectors. It'd be hard to solder directly to the uP pins.

#14 freds

freds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

Well i've got the display working now, seems the Chip Select doesn't work correctly on all GPIOs and the display requires an SPI clock greater than 15MHz.

All working now other than my blacks appear very very blue. Have messed with the contrast settings extensively but can never get it to look good. Reds look very pink and everything looks washed out. Starting to think it might be a faulty display, anyone else seen the same thing?

Hi Ben

How about uploading your code? I have the shield/display, but no time to do any coding right now.

#15 Ben Crundwell

Ben Crundwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

All very much work in progress at the moment but feel free to browse through. I've given up with the contrast problem for the moment, even Olimex weren't able to throw any light on it so i'm just going to stick to bluey black text on a white background for now. Once thing I'm still struggling with is the speed of the SPI port. Unless I package everything up in a single array and write that, the inter byte delays on the SPI bus are sooooo long that it takes an age to update the display. If anyone know a better way of speeding up the datarate let me know! I intend to publish this class once its finished so keep posted

Attached Files

#16 tapius

tapius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

I intend to publish this class once its finished so keep posted

Any new work done to this project? I will be receiving my Netduino Plus today and would like to start experimenting with this LCD

#17 Ben Crundwell

Ben Crundwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

Any new work done to this project? I will be receiving my Netduino Plus today and would like to start experimenting with this LCD

To be honest I havn't looked at this project for a while. I ended up getting annoyed with how sluggish the netduino's SPI interface is and thus how long it takes to refresh the screen.

Still I have a funky clock/thermometer now :)

Give me a shout if you need help

#18 ludipipo

ludipipo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

I have a Netduino Plus on order from Sparkfun. Hoping it comes soon. I have been playing with the color LCD shield on an Uno and got it working pretty well after removing the 33 ohm resistor in series with the switcher input that was dropping the 5v to about 2.5 and making some heat. That could never have possibly worked! Anyway I have been using the bit banged SPI software library that Mark Sproul wrote and the very helpful tutorial in tronixstuff. I want to use this shield with a Wifly shield both using the SPI peripheral of the AT19 with different CS for each. If you post a library I will try it as soon as the board shows up.

Hi Phil,
i have the same color lcd >this lcd work correctly on atmega board, but with Netduino, not work..blue screen at init.
I dont removed the 33 ohm..where is this resistor?
I used spi bit banging with:
D8 = lcd_dc
D7 = lcd_rst
D4 = lcd_cs (as in sw)
D13 = lcd_clk (as in sw)
D11 = lcd_mosi (as in sw)

Thanks,
Andrea

#19 Angus

Angus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

**bump** Has anyone had more success with playing with these LCD's? I am fairly sure I have wired mine up correctly and it does not respond to sending text. It powers up and then nothing. I have done a fair bit of searching and really can't find too much info. I am wondering whether I drop back down to a simpler LCD. Angus.

#20 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hi Angus!
On the Sparkfun product page, there are quite a few links to examples on how to interface with this LCD from various other platforms:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/569
I think you could really benefit from having a look at some of those even if they're not C#.

There's also a tutorial for the interface:
http://www.sparkfun....ay%20Driver.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.