Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Bring 30 amp signal down to 16ma for input

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 chocamo

chocamo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:37 AM

I am new to the world of electronics and I want to tap into a signal to tell when something is on or off. When the external switch is on the current is 30amp and I want to sample it using netduino. I am thinking that using a relay and a resistor will be the best bet but I'm not really sure what to look for in one to be sure I don't break the netduino. Any tips would be great

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:31 AM

Maybe it's me, but I have no clear what's your goal... Could you post any schematic about the switch (and what you're expecting on)? Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:28 PM

relays are for switching things on from the mcu, they cannot provide input like you seem to want to use them...

#4 chocamo

chocamo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

Sorry I know I could have phrased that all a lot better. Here is a paint picture of what I want to do, basically tell when that switch has been flipped

[]Diagram

#5 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

OK, is that current alternating or direct (AC/DC)? How much is the voltage on that line (approx)? Cheers

#6 chocamo

chocamo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

DC and I believe its 12V

#7 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

30Amps are 30Amps and I'd avoid to place anything is series, unless strictly necessary. Is all right to monitor the voltage after the switch, i.e. when the switch is closed also the voltage is 12V, otherwise is zero? That would be much better, if it is possible. Cheers

#8 chocamo

chocamo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

I actually need to do this twice, once with a 5amp source and one with the 30amp source. With the 30amp source that is the only way to tap into it. With the 5amp source I could probably follow your suggestion. If you have a solution for either case I'd be happy to try them

#9 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

I am new to the world of electronics and I want to tap into a signal to tell when something is on or off. When the external switch is on the current is 30amp and I want to sample it using netduino. I am thinking that using a relay and a resistor will be the best bet but I'm not really sure what to look for in one to be sure I don't break the netduino. Any tips would be great

Current clamp?

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#10 chocamo

chocamo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

Current clamp?

Regards,
Mark

That's actually a good idea, how would I connect this to netduino though?

#11 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

That's actually a good idea, how would I connect this to netduino though?

There is an energy monitoring project for the Arduino which you could use that as a starting point. Your original post suggests you just want to detect on or off. I'd think about calibrating the clamp and determining the on / off output readings. You could then use either the analog ports or if you wanted digital then maybe a transistor as a switch.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Edit: Remember to take into consideration that Arduino is 5V but Netduion is 3.3V.

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

#12 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:40 AM

Current clamp?

Stop guys: the current clamp needs AC current!
That's the way I asked for the kind of current...

The easier way is using a shunt.
Let's say you break the circuit and insert a resistor having a very small value in series.
Take a look at the schematic attached.
I supposed that:
the common ground of the Netduino can be connected to the battery negative wire;
the shunt (10milli Ohm resistor) is connected as the schematic.
At this point you may use an analog input to measure the voltage on point "A", and the circuit rightward this point could be discarded. Otherwise you may consider that additional circuit to use a digital input.

Note that 30Amps flowing through a 10milli Ohm shunt produces a voltage drop of about 0.3V. It means that your LOAD will be powered at 12-0.3 = 11.7V.
Cheers

Attached Files

#13 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:30 AM

Stop guys: the current clamp needs AC current!
That's the way I asked for the kind of current...

Good catch.

BTW - Would it be advisable to use opto isolation?

Regards,
Mark

#14 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:45 AM

BTW - Would it be advisable to use opto isolation?

Absolutely.
However the circuit will turn more complex, although I'd prefer any kind of insulation at all.
Cheers

PS: "isolation" or "insulation"?

#15 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

However the circuit will turn more complex, although I'd prefer any kind of insulation at all.

How about using (only) the optoisolator in parallel with the load? It will output digital signal according to the internal LED state, i.e. when the load is switched on/off.

#16 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

How about using (only) the optoisolator in parallel with the load? It will output digital signal according to the internal LED state, i.e. when the load is switched on/off.

I asked it about yet, but it seems that's not possible for the 30A load. Take a look above.
Cheers

#17 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

I asked it about yet, but it seems that's not possible for the 30A load. Take a look above.

Could you be more specific, please? Why it is not possible to add the optoisolator in parallel with the load?

#18 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

@CW2: I don't know why it is not possible. I asked whether it is possible to monitor the voltage across the load, but (4th post) the poster say's not possible. I assume that's true, otherwise the task will turn very simple of course.

#19 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

@CW2: I don't know why it is not possible. I asked whether it is possible to monitor the voltage across the load, but (4th post) the poster say's not possible.

I see, I missed that post, thanks. Unfortunately, the 'diagram' seems to be no longer available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.