Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Strategies for sub 1ms Thread.Sleep

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andybareweb

andybareweb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hi, I recently had a project using a Netduino where I needed to pause execution for 500 μs after sending a signal to a peripheral. The standard Thread.Sleep only offers twice that pause duration of 1000 μs or 1ms. This was all I was able to achieve, which resulted in a sub-optimal result. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on strategies to achieve a sub 1ms Thread.Sleep, maybe using a native call or similar? Thanks Andy

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hi Andy!
Read this...
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

Hi Andy,

Sleep times that are less than 1ms are not exact, but here's a 100% managed code strategy (written off the top of my head, not tested):

void SleepMicroseconds(int microsecondsToWait)
{
    // TODO: calibrate this call by subtracting the number of microseconds of "overhead"
    microSecondsToWait -= KNOWN_MICROSECONDS_OF_OVERHEAD;

// create an event which will be raised when our sleep time is over.
    AutoResetEvent sleepCompletedEvent = new AutoResetEvent(false);

// start a timer to count down our sleep time.
    Timer sleepTimer = new Timer(delegate(object state) 
    {
        // signal that our timer has completed.
        sleepCompletedEvent.Set();
     }, sleepCompletedEvent, new TimeSpan(microsecondsToWait * (TimeSpan.TicksPerMillisecond / 1000)), 
     new TimeSpan(0,0,0,0,-1)); // TODO: verify that the period means "do not call twice."

// wait for our timer to complete.
     sleepCompletedEvent.WaitOne();
}

A few notes for optimization:
  • You'll want to measure the amount of overhead the managed code adds to the time -- and subtract that from the millisecondsToWait variable on the first line.
  • If you only need one timer in total, you can create the sleepTimer and sleepCompletedEvent classes once -- and then reuse them. This will decrease the overhead.
Chris

#4 andybareweb

andybareweb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try to speed it up using those techniques!

#5 jansson

jansson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi! Is the "SleepMicroseconds" function working good? Anyone tried it? Best Regards Jansson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.