Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

serial connection problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 michielvd

michielvd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

I know there are already many topics on this subject but none of them could help me so far. I'm using a netduino and a usb to serial device(this normally works fine) I am able to use it with other devices so.) I connected the ground to the ground of the netduino the send to the receive and the other way around. When I send an 'a' with a terminal like putty or any other program I receive an 'O' on my netduino (printed by debug). even when I send raw bytes with a program I wrote myself this is received wrong. the other way around is the same problem when I send with the netduino I receive something different on my computer. Is this a problem in the firmware or something? or something with the char-set? Anybody any Ideas?
Microsoft: Leading the world in selling expensive pieces of %#!*.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hi michielvd, I'm guessing that it's a baud rate or parity/stopbits/flowcontrol setting issue. Have you tried using 115200,N,8,1 (with "no flow control") on each side? We use that frequently in projects. What settings are you using on each side? Also, are you using a USB-RS232 adapter on your PC...and if so, which make/model? BTW, it's worth noting that the serial communication on COM2 is tested in depth during the automated testing of every Netduino. At 115200,N,8,1. Chris

#3 michielvd

michielvd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Have you tried using 115200,N,8,1 (with "no flow control") on each side? We use that frequently in projects.

What settings are you using on each side? Also, are you using a USB-RS232 adapter on your PC...and if so, which make/model?

at first I was using 96000,N,8,1 and COM1 when switching to the settings you gave the exact same problem showed up.
I'm using a prolific PL-2303.

#4 michielvd

michielvd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

The problem is was that the converter didn't use the right voltages. I ordered an other one and the communications worked just fine.

#5 edgar3232

edgar3232

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

could you help me i have a problem, im using a [color=rgb(102,102,102);font-family:'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]PL2303 to convert usb to serial,  im conecting this to my netduino but nothing happens. i tryed to send a bite but it doesnt retunr to my pc[/color]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.