Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

How to manual read/write internal flash?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Klop

Klop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

Hi CW2, Thank you very much for the good description. Where would you recommend persisting custom data which my netduino app can access? In my test I'm using the storage A with the code you provided for reading/writing to flash via the debugger engine. But is there some flash sectors which are not used at the moment. And do you know if it's possible to deploy/debug your netduino app from visual studio without it erasing some of the flash sectors? Thanks.

#22 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

Just FYI, Storage A/B are just placeholders for now. The plan is to replace them with "simple storage" sectors in the .NET MF 4.2 firmware update. Chris

#23 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

Just FYI, Storage A/B are just placeholders for now. The plan is to replace them with "simple storage" sectors in the .NET MF 4.2 firmware update.

They still are limited to 10k cycles right?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#24 Klop

Klop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

Just FYI, Storage A/B are just placeholders for now. The plan is to replace them with "simple storage" sectors in the .NET MF 4.2 firmware update.

So right now Storage A/B are not used for anything by MF or the netduino firmware?

Do you know if it's possible to keep data stored in Storage A/B when deploying/debugging via Visual Studio? It's very annoying that my data is erased every time I start the debugger (app code is deployed).

#25 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

They still are limited to 10k cycles right?

Correct. For frequently-rewritten data, an SD card or EEPROM is your best bet. Flash is best for permanent storage of occasionally-changed data.

Chris

#26 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi Klop,

So right now Storage A/B are not used for anything by MF or the netduino firmware?

Do you know if it's possible to keep data stored in Storage A/B when deploying/debugging via Visual Studio? It's very annoying that my data is erased every time I start the debugger (app code is deployed).

There is no code-accessible persistent storage built into the microcontroller on Netduino today. You can use the MicroSD feature of the Netduino Plus for that...or hook up an external SD card or EEPROM to your Netduino/Netduino Mini if desired.

Chris

#27 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Correct. For frequently-rewritten data, an SD card or EEPROM is your best bet. Flash is best for permanent storage of occasionally-changed data.

I think that's a very important footnote that should be mentioned with the feature to write to flash ;)
But I'm glad to see that it will become possible since it's the cheapest solution to store a few config values!
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#28 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hi Klop,

You can embed data inside your app if you want as well. .NET MF supports resources.

.NET MF 4.2 (beta coming by summer) includes a new "simple storage" mechanism for storing data on-chip. We'll be embracing this in the Netduino 4.2 firmware to enable you to read/write data from your Netduino app as well.

Chris

Is this ability currently available in 4.2 RC4? If so, are there any examples of how to do this?

I'm thinking this may be a good way for me to have a Unique Identifier on each Netduino Board.

#29 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Hi Dave, Simple Storage didn't make it onto Netduino Plus. Between the amount of flash required for the 16KB of storage blocks plus the flash needed for a non-standardized set of classes to access it...we decided that it was best to leave the flash to your Netduino Plus app instead. That said, you can use the MAC as a unique ID on your board. Chris

#30 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hi Dave,

Simple Storage didn't make it onto Netduino Plus. Between the amount of flash required for the 16KB of storage blocks plus the flash needed for a non-standardized set of classes to access it...we decided that it was best to leave the flash to your Netduino Plus app instead.

That said, you can use the MAC as a unique ID on your board.

Chris

In the end we are not planning on having Ethernet capabilities. We will likely be using a standard ND board with an SD card board. Sad to hear this didn't make 4.2

#31 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Dave--you have PM. Chris

#32 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Any Progress towards getting this into Netduino Plus 2? It would be great to be able to assign a Unique ID to the boards that isn't the MAC ID.

#33 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi Dave,

Any Progress towards getting this into Netduino Plus 2? It would be great to be able to assign a Unique ID to the boards that isn't the MAC ID.

Can you give me more details as to what you're looking for? The general plan right now is to use the MAC address as a unique ID on Netduino Plus 2. We're planning a future firmware update which can burn a default MAC address into OTP so it survives re-flashing.

Chris

#34 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hi Dave,

Can you give me more details as to what you're looking for? The general plan right now is to use the MAC address as a unique ID on Netduino Plus 2. We're planning a future firmware update which can burn a default MAC address into OTP so it survives re-flashing.

Chris

Chris,

This was on the addition of the Simple Storage option to read/write to the flash. My thought was to use it for a unique ID for the Netduino's and one that couldn't be deleted with loss of the network settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.