Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

System.Ext.Text

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

Hi all, so i'm trying to use StringBuilder, which, i see is now in System.Ext.Text. I try that namespace and it's not available, so i think i'll just add a reference, however, when i go to add a reference i don't see any framework assemblies. what's the deal with that? where are all the micro framework assemblies that are available? also, i thought i'd be clever and just browse to the assemblies in program files/microsoft .net micro framework/v4.1/assemblies, but there are two folders in there, LE and BE. and in neither one of those do i find system.ext. what is the difference between those two folders? also, where the hell is system.ext.dll?

#2 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:53 PM

This is the screen i get when i try to add a reference:
Posted Image

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:47 AM

To add references to your project, click on the Project menu and then select the "Add Reference..." menu item. .NET Micro Framework references should be automatically populated in the first tab, .NET. The "le" and "be" folders are for "little endian" and "big endian" devices. Netduino is a "little endian" device. Looking up the StringBuilder in System.Ext.Text, it is in MFDpwsExtensions.dll. It's a feature used with "web services for devices." http://msdn.microsof...y/cc506612.aspx From the .NET MF feature request posts, it looks like Microsoft may be moving StringBuilder to the main .NET MF assemblies in the next version of .NET MF. In the meantime, we've built a simple StringBuilder (not optimized by any means, but reasonably compatible with the desktop classes) if you'd like to play with one. Chris

#4 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

To add references to your project, click on the Project menu and then select the "Add Reference..." menu item.

.NET Micro Framework references should be automatically populated in the first tab, .NET.

The "le" and "be" folders are for "little endian" and "big endian" devices. Netduino is a "little endian" device.

Looking up the StringBuilder in System.Ext.Text, it is in MFDpwsExtensions.dll. It's a feature used with "web services for devices."
http://msdn.microsof...y/cc506612.aspx

From the .NET MF feature request posts, it looks like Microsoft may be moving StringBuilder to the main .NET MF assemblies in the next version of .NET MF. In the meantime, we've built a simple StringBuilder (not optimized by any means, but reasonably compatible with the desktop classes) if you'd like to play with one.

Chris

i'll add that assembly directly. did you check out the screenshot, for some reason there is no assemblies in the add references window. i also don't have docs, so i downloaded the 4.0 SDK and i'm installing that and then reinstalling the 4.1 on top, i suspect the 4.1 SDK install is missing pieces.

glad to hear they're moving stringbuilder into the main assemblies. it's a pretty common class.

#5 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:04 AM

To add references to your project, click on the Project menu and then select the "Add Reference..." menu item.

.NET Micro Framework references should be automatically populated in the first tab, .NET.

The "le" and "be" folders are for "little endian" and "big endian" devices. Netduino is a "little endian" device.

Looking up the StringBuilder in System.Ext.Text, it is in MFDpwsExtensions.dll. It's a feature used with "web services for devices."
http://msdn.microsof...y/cc506612.aspx

From the .NET MF feature request posts, it looks like Microsoft may be moving StringBuilder to the main .NET MF assemblies in the next version of .NET MF. In the meantime, we've built a simple StringBuilder (not optimized by any means, but reasonably compatible with the desktop classes) if you'd like to play with one.

Chris

that dll has System.Ext.Xml, but not System.Ext.Text, fyi. if i can't find it, i'll probably just grab the mono implementation and drop it in.

#6 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

any other ideas where that stringbuilder class might be? i'm porting the mono implementation, but it uses a load of internal string methods that i'm going to have to emulate to get it to work.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

any other ideas where that stringbuilder class might be? i'm porting the mono implementation, but it uses a load of internal string methods that i'm going to have to emulate to get it to work.

We did a quick implementation of StringBuilder, which I've posted here:
http://forums.netdui...gbuilder-class/

It's not performance-tuned, but it should maintain code compatibility with at least a subset of the desktop class.

Chris

#8 bryancostanich

bryancostanich

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:56 PM

We did a quick implementation of StringBuilder, which I've posted here:
http://forums.netdui...gbuilder-class/

It's not performance-tuned, but it should maintain code compatibility with at least a subset of the desktop class.

Chris

ha! that looks damn near exactly like mine :) except, i did an isDirty and cache subsequent ToString() calls. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.