Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

LCD KS0066 driver?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kenNET

kenNET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hi,

I have a 40x2 character LCD that I can't get working. I did som Googeling (is that a word...) and I think the controller is KS0066 not HD44780.

I have tested with "Bansky.SPOT" code that I found in post, also tested with Sparkfun "Serial Enabled LCD Backpack". Only backlight works...

HD44780 displays works fine for me, but I need a 40x2 LCD for this project, here is specs for my display

tips or code a welcome...

/Thanks!

#2 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hi,

I have a 40x2 character LCD that I can't get working. I did som Googeling (is that a word...) and I think the controller is KS0066 not HD44780.

I have tested with "Bansky.SPOT" code that I found in post, also tested with Sparkfun "Serial Enabled LCD Backpack". Only backlight works...

HD44780 displays works fine for me, but I need a 40x2 LCD for this project, here is specs for my display

tips or code a welcome...

/Thanks!

The pinout on that display is HD44780 compatible. Are you using it in 4bit, or 8bit mode? Take a look MicroLiquidCrystal and NetMF LCD. The MicroLiquidCrystal project is still in beta, but I've used it (with the HD44780 driver) on a project and it worked well.

-dan

#3 kenNET

kenNET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

The pinout on that display is HD44780 compatible. Are you using it in 4bit, or 8bit mode? Take a look MicroLiquidCrystal and NetMF LCD. The MicroLiquidCrystal project is still in beta, but I've used it (with the HD44780 driver) on a project and it worked well.

-dan

Thanks Dan, It works! I changed shifter to 74Hc595 and used "MicroLiquidCrystal" and had to use bitorder "MSBFirst"

Do you know any good visual editor for creating custom characters?

/Ken

#4 Rod Lopez

Rod Lopez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hey Ken, You might want to check this one out: http://icontexto.com/charactercreator/ I saw it recommended by Ladyada some time ago...

#5 kenNET

kenNET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hey Ken,
You might want to check this one out: http://icontexto.com/charactercreator/
I saw it recommended by Ladyada some time ago...

Thanks Rod,

I did find this editor: http://www.quinapalu...hd44780udg.html

#6 Carlito

Carlito

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:58 AM

Hi,

This is the first time I try to program a display with netduino, I am using un JHD162G (with KS0066 driver) and I used the HelloWorld code that is contained in the MicroLiquidCrystal project, but I can't get my display works, only it turns on the screen but text is not shown in it.

My main code is the following...

// create the transfer provider
// Option 1: Use direct GPIO provider
// Initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
// Use wiring shown here http://arduino.cc/en...l/lcd_schem.png
var lcdProvider = new GpioLcdTransferProvider(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D12, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D11, //Pins.GPIO_PIN_D10,
//Pins.GPIO_PIN_D9, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D8, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D7, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D6,
Pins.GPIO_PIN_D5, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D4, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D3, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D2);

// create the LCD interface
var lcd = new Lcd(lcdProvider);

// set up the LCD's number of columns and rows:
lcd.Begin(16, 2);

// Print a message to the LCD.
lcd.Write("hello, world!");

while (true)
{
// set the cursor to column 0, line 1
lcd.SetCursorPosition(0, 1);
// print the number of seconds since reset:
lcd.Write((Utility.GetMachineTime().Ticks / 10000).ToString());

Thread.Sleep(100);
}

And I connected my netduino to the display as shown in this page...http://arduino.cc/en...l/LiquidCrystal

Can somebody help me? Please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance!

#7 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:22 AM

Hello Carlito and welcome in the forum.
I think the problem is a hardware problem. The Arduino board works using 5V, just like the LCD module. So, the signal levels are perfectly compatible across.
Netduino offers a signal span up to 3.3V, thus may not be enough to drive the LCD module.

I strongly suggest to follow the article of Szymon about this kind of modules. He's using a 74HC595 shift register to interface the Netduino with the module, and that's working perfectly.
The trick is around the technology of the "HC" chips, which is different from the (old) CMOS of the LCD module. The HC-series chips allow the connection of slightly different voltage logic.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#8 Carlito

Carlito

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:33 AM

Hello Carlito and welcome in the forum.
I think the problem is a hardware problem. The Arduino board works using 5V, just like the LCD module. So, the signal levels are perfectly compatible across.
Netduino offers a signal span up to 3.3V, thus may not be enough to drive the LCD module.

I strongly suggest to follow the article of Szymon about this kind of modules. He's using a 74HC595 shift register to interface the Netduino with the module, and that's working perfectly.
The trick is around the technology of the "HC" chips, which is different from the (old) CMOS of the LCD module. The HC-series chips allow the connection of slightly different voltage logic.
Cheers

Hi Mario, thanks a lot for your help, I read the article and I'll get the 74HC595 chip to try with the example shown there. It's very nice to have the help of all of you :)

See you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.