Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Why 'breadboard'?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

I just bought a new breadboard since my current one is occupied with a project and I have too little space on it to extend it. When I bought it I was thinking how to ask for it. I mean, in English it's called 'breadboard' which translates to Dutch as 'broodplank', which reversely tanslates to 'trencher' which is a totally different thing.

So in the electronics store I asked for a 'board on which I can put my leds, IC's and buttons' and the lady behind the counter exactly knew what I ment and called it by it's english name.

So I was wondering, why is it called a breadboard? It's not a board on which bread is served or cut, although a layman would think it would be just that, a board for bread.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:35 PM

So I was wondering, why is it called a breadboard?

Wikipedia to the rescue: In the early days of radio, amateurs would nail bare copper wires or terminal strips to a wooden board (often literally a cutting board for bread) and solder electronic components to them.

#3 Michel Trahan

Michel Trahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

http://wiki.answers....name_breadboard CW2 You beat me to it :)
Started with C in 1985, moved to Vb3 ... to vb6 and stopped. Now started with .Net and learning C# and VB.net and wishing VB.net was on MF !

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:38 PM

aah darn, I could have found that myself :) Still it's quite strange to ask for a platter at the electronics store :D
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.