Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Ethernet Shield from nuelectronics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Hello, I successfully use this LCD http://www.nuelectro...&products_id=12 on Netduino using SPI. I will share the library in a few days. I just need to clean my code. All works fine, except the joystick. Because it powered by 5v :( Now, I will try to use Ethernet Shield http://www.nuelectro...&products_id=4. It seems that we don't have any issue regarding power. But, before starting, I just want to clarify what's the best way to start. Do I need to use PK to create/use the driver ? I think yes if I want to use lwIP, right ? It's not possible to write a driver in C# and use it at this level. Pascal

#2 Websteria

Websteria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

That's odd that the joystick wouldn't work. Right on the schematic at http://www.nuelectro...ia_3310_lcd.pdf it says "VCC - 3.3V - 5V All ligic I/O compatible with 5V & 3.3V logic level"

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

That's odd that the joystick wouldn't work.

It appears that the board is driving 5V to the joystick for analog input--and the schematic's quote of 3.3V/5V compatiblity is for the "logic I/O" (screen, etc.) only.

Can you move the VCC for the joystick to the 3.3V pin easily? Do they have a board with a joystick ADC at 3.3V?

Chris

#4 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

It appears that the board is driving 5V to the joystick for analog input--and the schematic's quote of 3.3V/5V compatiblity is for the "logic I/O" (screen, etc.) only.

Can you move the VCC for the joystick to the 3.3V pin easily? Do they have a board with a joystick ADC at 3.3V?

Chris

Thanks,

No on both questions. But I can replicate the same schema outside the shield with another analogue pin.

What about enc28j60 ? what's your advice,

/pascal

#5 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

That's odd that the joystick wouldn't work. Right on the schematic at

http://www.nuelectro...ia_3310_lcd.pdf

it says

"VCC - 3.3V - 5V
All ligic I/O compatible with
5V & 3.3V logic level"

The joystick use 5v and voltage divider using resistances (a solution to not use one pin per direction). So, in fact, I can use some of direction (like up/down ..) but not all. Just because the voltage on AD0 is more than 3.3v in some situation. Without pushing any direction, AD0 return 1023 and also when I push right direction. The most important is, without any push, the AD0 is connected to 5v with a 2K resistance. Is it risky ?

/pascal

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

What about enc28j60 ? what's your advice,

We're working on Ethernet drivers for the Netduino. You're welcome to build something using the source and lwIP if you're into C++ coding, but we hope to have an official Ethernet solution sometime in the near future as well.

enc28j60 is a very attractive shield option since drivers seem to exist for it in .NET MF already...

As far as putting 5V into the analog pins... The Atmel datasheet says not to do it. So we'll officially say not to do it as well. Especially on AD4/AD5.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.