Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

2.4" TFT Color LCD,touch screen sheild V1.2 for Arduino Mega

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaBoy

ScubaBoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

Hi All,

Been playing around with this LCD shield for a few weeks now and I have just about got it working with my netdunio plus. You can see from the link that it needs quite a few IO pins:

LCD Display

So I've used an MCP23017 for the data/address lines and a MCP2308 for the control lines, reduces the IO load to just using the i2c pins on the netdunio plus. Code wise I've just converted the c++ code produced by the guys at Nuelectronics and used the MCP230xx I2C classes posted by GDSever. On the whole the display works as expected but every now and then I think the initialization code doesn't quite work, still working on fixing this it's probably a timing related problem or my dodgy code :).

I'll post a few screen shots soon.

#2 ScubaBoy

ScubaBoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi All,

Been playing around with this LCD shield for a few weeks now and I have just about got it working with my netdunio plus. You can see from the link that it needs quite a few IO pins:

LCD Display

So I've used an MCP23017 for the data/address lines and a MCP2308 for the control lines, reduces the IO load to just using the i2c pins on the netdunio plus. Code wise I've just converted the c++ code produced by the guys at Nuelectronics and used the MCP230xx I2C classes posted by GDSever. On the whole the display works as expected but every now and then I think the initialization code doesn't quite work, still working on fixing this it's probably a timing related problem or my dodgy code :).

I'll post a few screen shots soon.

Solved the display problem had two of the control lines running off the same pin a quick re-wire and it's all working well. The display is a nice bit of kit, lots of fun to be had.

#3 awaiK

awaiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

[...] So I've used an MCP23017 for the data/address lines and a MCP2308 for the control lines, reduces the IO load to just using the i2c pins on the netdunio plus. Code wise I've just converted the c++ code produced by the guys at Nuelectronics and used the MCP230xx I2C classes posted by GDSever. [...]

Hi,

I want to use a TFT touch screen with my netduino too.
Do you plan to publish your C# code? Especially the ported C++ code, this would be great.

#4 ScubaBoy

ScubaBoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

I want to use a TFT touch screen with my netduino too.
Do you plan to publish your C# code? Especially the ported C++ code, this would be great.

Yep plan to publish the code just making a few changes, it's very much experimental.

#5 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

Some interesting products on their site. LCD touchscreens seem like a good price. I wonder if the Arduino shields (rather than Mega) can be plugged straight onto the Netduino? I'm thinking voltage level compatibility rather than software.

#6 ScubaBoy

ScubaBoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

Been playing around with drawing shapes using one of the digital IO pins to drive the Write line. Although the result is good I'd like to a achieve a better refresh rate and one way to do this would be to drive the Write line faster. With that in mind I was wondering if PWM might provide the answer. Would this work?

#7 ScubaBoy

ScubaBoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hi All, I've attached the code I've been using to drive the LCD, to get the results I want would need to be able to drive the GPIO pin using native code to get the speed. Anyway it's fun playing with the display. Note: the codes just something I've written to test the LCD it's not very good and has massive room for improvement.

Attached Files

#8 Kristof De Buysere

Kristof De Buysere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

Hi, I am doubting between two cheap graphical LCD's from nuelectronics: The Nokia 3310 LCD shield (netduino code for it can be found in another thread on this forum: http://forums.netdui...-nuelectronics/) Or the 2.4" TFT Color LCD for Arduino Mega, with your initial code. However, from your first post, I understand that you use additional IC's (MCP230XX) when you use that 2.4" screen. Does it mean that your code is only usable when these same IC's are used, or is it just possible to plug the TFT color LCD shield (originally for arduino mega) directly on the netduino (I have a netduino plus) and to use it with your initial code?

#9 ScubaBoy

ScubaBoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

Hi,

I am doubting between two cheap graphical LCD's from nuelectronics:

The Nokia 3310 LCD shield (netduino code for it can be found in another thread on this forum: http://forums.netdui...-nuelectronics/)

Or the 2.4" TFT Color LCD for Arduino Mega, with your initial code.

However, from your first post, I understand that you use additional IC's (MCP230XX) when you use that 2.4" screen. Does it mean that your code is only usable when these same IC's are used, or is it just possible to plug the TFT color LCD shield (originally for arduino mega) directly on the netduino (I have a netduino plus) and to use it with your initial code?

You are correct the code I posted will only work if the additional IC's are used. I used the IO explanders because the Arduino mega shield uses the 16bit interface. As far as I cold tell it's not pin compatible with the netduino. If you want a really fast LCD refresh when it would be better to write the addressing code in native code. I'm looking at using separate MCU to drive the LCD with the netduino plus passing display request to it.

#10 Troll feeder

Troll feeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

You should really look as 4d systems 2.4" intelligent LCD @ $59 it's about the price of bargain LCD You can set it up in serial mode and use one uart to pass graphic commands to draw lines. Polygons, circles, ellispes, it contains an SD reader ands graphics should me loadable from it. You can also use the LCD as an mcu in what they call hfc mode. Www.4dsystems.com.au Available from some othe suppliers like www.robotshop.com and sparkfun. Look at tube for the tricorder and you'll see me using the barest fraction of what it can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.