Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Astable NE555 Calcuator and Data Logger

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

As part of my re-introduction to electronics I recently decided to renew my relationship with the NE555 timer. After a short while playing with the design of an astable circuit it seemed to make sense to build an application to perform the calcuations for me. Hence the idea for this project was born. The majority of this project is software based. In fact most of the time was spent working on the Silverlight front end which you can find here (please be gentle as the error checking is very rudementary words will certainly upset the system Posted Image ).

This project has two components, an extension to the simple web server I have previously posted on the project showcase and a Silverlight applicaiton to interact with the user.

The simple web server has been modified to allow the user to send configuration information to the Netduino Plus. It can also act as a simple data logger. This obviously has some restrictions such as the maximum sample rate etc. but is effective enough for my needs at this time.

Interaction with the user is facilitated by a Silverlight application. This has three components each represented by a seperate tab on the interface.

The parameters tab allows the user to enter the parameters for the calculations. The user enters three of the four parameters from R1, R2, C1 and F and the application will calcuate the remaining parameter
Posted Image

When calculating F, the system also allows the user to select a range of values for R1, R2 and C1 producing a table of results. The second tab shows the results of the calculation:
Posted Image

The third tab allows the user to communicate with the Netduino and presents data which has been captured by the board on A0.

Posted Image

If you are interested, the full source code can be found on my blog entry about this project.

Regards,
Mark

15 March 2011 - Replaced links to images with Flickr links.

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

Hi Nevyn! Your idea is very nice and it deserves some embellishment, IMHO. Firstly, I've made some effort to understand the sense of the project, because it's a double-function application. In the sense, you made a 555 calculator and an oscilloscope, but this could be used for any kind of signal as long it's bounded in the ADC range. I'd specify also some info about the connection of the 555 output to the Netduino ADC. If you're going to power the oscillator with 12V, you may damage the ADC input. Anyway, that's a very useful app, also for educational purpose. You may offer several kinds of 555 circuit templates and the ability to modify the value of the components by a slider. In this way you may show the calculation result in real-time (e.g. simulating the output on the chart). Afterward the circuit will be built, the ADC could be compared to the simulated wave. Along this way, you may offer also different kinds of circuits (e.g. op-amps). I remember that the filter's calculation and similar were very useful in lab. I didn't check your code yet, but I'll try to do... Tell me if you need some little help from me (as far I can). Cheers Mario
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:28 AM

Firstly, I've made some effort to understand the sense of the project, because it's a double-function application. In the sense, you made a 555 calculator and an oscilloscope, but this could be used for any kind of signal as long it's bounded in the ADC range.

The concept was to build an application which would perform the calculations for me and then allow me to compare the theory to the implementation.

I'd specify also some info about the connection of the 555 output to the Netduino ADC. If you're going to power the oscillator with 12V, you may damage the ADC input.

If memory serves, the minimum supply voltage for the 555 is 4.5V (I was using 5) and this generates an output equal to the supply so I was already outside the range for the analog input to the Netduino. To get over this I fed the output through a voltage divider. If you look at the range of the values on the chart at the end of the pot you will see that the maximum is under 300 whereas the range for the ADC is 1023.

I like the idea of the dynamic generation of the results and wave form. The application already allows the user to select a range of values and see the results. The image below shows the results when R1 is set to a range:
Posted Image

Going forward, I think the first step is to make the application more robust and get some better error trapping in the system - maybe some validation.

Regards,
Mark

15 March 2011 - Replaced links to images with Flickr links.

Edited by Nevyn, 15 March 2011 - 07:46 AM.

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#4 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

Mark: your project unleashed my brain!... I'm trying to set up a platform to simulate small circuits using Netduino. Please, be patient. I'll post as soon as possible the project step by step. Cheers Mario
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.