Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

GPRS Shield V2 Power Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Riaan Mastenbroek

Riaan Mastenbroek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:44 AM

Hi,

I have a GPRS Shield V2 and need some assistance with the power down - perhaps someone can help. For some reason the GPRS Shield freezes and I want to power it down and up again. 

Here is what I did:

1. ) If I push the reset button on the netduino it does not reset the GPRS Shield.

2.) I soldered the JP pads on the GPRS Shield together in order to allow me to power up / down via Pin 9

3.) I add the following code to my project:

var gprsPwr = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D9, false);

gprsPwr.Write(false);
            Thread.Sleep(1000);

gprsPwr.Write(true);
            Thread.Sleep(2000);

gprsPwr.Write(false);
            Thread.Sleep(3000);

4.) Nothing happens when the code executes?

5.) When I push Reset on the GPRS shield using the push button - nothing happens and the shield does not seem to power down?

What am I doing wrong - Any Ideas?

Riaan

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

Hi Riann,

Do you have a link to the schematic for this shield?

I assume that pin D9 is supposed to control a power switch on the shield?

Chris

#3 Riaan Mastenbroek

Riaan Mastenbroek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hi Chris,

Here is the wiki page for the GPRS Shield that I get from Seeestudio. I could not find a schematic for it except for what is on that wiki page.

http://www.seeedstud...PRS_Shield_V2.0

Riaan

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

Hi Riann,

So, here is the relevant text from their Wiki page:

Power on/off by D9
Unsolder pad JP default. Solder it if you wanna use software to power on/off the GPRS shield. Set the D9 to a high level, it means the button is pressing.
The pad of JP besides the ISP port.

It sounds like you have soldered the pad "JP" and everything else looks correct... Unfortunately there is no schematic or detail beyond the basic instructions--so let's go into "troubleshooting" mode here.

A few questions:
1. Is pin D9 (software power control) designed to work with 3.3V signals (from Netduino, Arduino Due, etc.)?
2. If you connect a resistor between the 5V header and pin D9, does the board reset? [This would effectively pull pin D9 high; you may need a fairly strong resistor if it's trying to overpower a built-in pull-down resistor.]
3. Is there a "power control" physical button on the shield that does the same thing you're trying to accomplish? Does it work when you press it?

Chris

#5 Riaan Mastenbroek

Riaan Mastenbroek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Hi Chris,

I would like to park this for now. This only happened once and it might have been a power spike causing a brown out.

Thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.