Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino.IP Technical Preview (Build 3)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:29 AM

The Netduino.IP Technical Preview is a progressive preview: we will be testing one feature at a time.

To use Netduino.IP, simply write standard code using standard System.Net.Sockets classes.

This build includes the following features:

• UDP sockets
  • Static IP configuration support
  • IPv4 and ARP support
  • Link detection support (and NetworkAvailability event)
  • ENC28J60 network chip driver
  • Retrieval of network configuration from NETMF configuration sector

The following features are not yet supported in the Technical Preview program:

• DHCP, DNS, ICMP, and TCP support

For this test, please:

• Run the attached Netduino Update app to reflash your Netduino Plus 2 with Netduino.IP Preview firmware.
  • Run MFDeploy and set your IP address using static IP settings
  • Deploy and run the attached sample app--or test out your own existing UDP networking code

I have also attached a sample project which retrieves the current time from an Internet time server.

If you run into any troubles, please let me know. Once we know that everything is working well here, we'll move onto Build 4. Builds 4+ will add in ICMP, DHCP and DNS support. Then we will finish up with TCP support.

Thank you for taking the time to help us test out Netduino.IP!

Chris

P.S. Netduino.IP source code has been checked into the Netduino repository at GitHub.
https://github.com/n...ino/Netduino.IP

Attached Files

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

One quick note: Netduino.IP supports advanced power management. 

This means that the network chip on your board will stay powered off during boot, and will start up once your application begins.  If there is no application deployed to your board, the ACT LED will not light up.  This is normal power management behavior. 

This also means that your application will start a bit quicker, since networking will be initialized in parallel with execution of your application code.  As best practice, you should wait for network connectivity before accessing the Internet.

Chris

#3 JoopC

JoopC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

I have test your Time example and it's works well, no problems to report.

In our VB test example I had to change
Dim ipEP As New IPEndPoint(Dns.GetHostEntry(TimeServer).AddressList(0), 123)
in
Dim ipEP As New IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse("129.6.15.29"), 123)
to get our example running, but you have mention that earlier that DNS and TCP support will add later.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

Hi JoopC,

I have test your Time example and it's works well, no problems to report.

In our VB test example I had to change
Dim ipEP As New IPEndPoint(Dns.GetHostEntry(TimeServer).AddressList(0), 123)
in
Dim ipEP As New IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse("129.6.15.29"), 123)
to get our example running, but you have mention that earlier that DNS and TCP support will add later.

Thank you so much for taking the time to test this (especially with your own sample UDP code).

We spend so much time building and testing code in the lab, and it's very rewarding to see it perform as-designed for others, in the field :)

Please let me know if you run in any issues. If there are any glitches we can work to remedy them and roll fixes into builds 4+.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.