SPI DMA fast data transfer and things like this - Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

SPI DMA fast data transfer and things like this

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Gerhard56

Gerhard56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

I have to read out an ADC (ADS131E06 by TI) which produces 21 Byte blocks with a periode of 62.5µs, eg. sampling rate is 16kSPS.

This means I will get 336kB/s.

This is much to fast to do it in C# code, polling the SPI Interface for 16 bit blocks or so ....

I want to open a file on my SD Card filesystem and than I want to store the raw data there. Normally you locate a RAM area and Setup DMA and SPI to pump the data in. After getting a buffer full of data, you Switch to another buffer area and let the processor write the data to some non volatile storage like SD Card file, in the mean time the alternative buffer is filled by the DMA with data coming from SPI.

At the end of a shot, in my case after 1600 blocks a 21 Bytes there will be some time (doing some admin Tasks) before the next shot starts.

Can I do this with Netduino and NETMF?

Is the Driver for SPI capable to work like this? Do I have to make a new Driver?

I guess, tha using SPI (which is a very fast synchrounous Serial protocoll) without DMA support is  quite useless.

Thanks for helping.

With best regards

Gerhard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.