First project advice for hardware: Temperature, humidity and wifi - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

First project advice for hardware: Temperature, humidity and wifi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donkraft

donkraft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:23 AM

After many years of lurking (and some drooling), I think it is about time that I get my hands dirty with something simple and actually useful in this space. But I can see that so much has happened since I was last looking into this a few years ago, and it seems picking the right hardware is a bit of a jungle, so I really would appreciate some help with that to get the first project off the ground.

My first project will be a simple logger of temperature and humidity. Something along the lines of:

- Every 10 minutes, read temperature and humidity

- Send it to a URL I config (http://heat.mydomain...=35&humidity=61)

Version 1: 

- Ethernet and battery (I understand this is the simplest (or at least used to be))

Version 2:

- Wifi and battery

Version 3: 

- Wifi and outlet power (230v)

Requirements: 

- .Net code

- 100$/€ budget

Priorities:

1. I want to get an easy win under my belt with as little hassle as possible.

2. Cost is less important, I don't want to save money and have to spend more time fiddling with drivers etc

The question: 

Which specific devices should I buy to achieve this in the easiest way possible? 

#2 ShVerni

ShVerni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew York, New York

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:59 AM

Hello and welcome!

If you want to get accurate, and easy, temperature and humidity readings I recommend HIH6130. It's not the cheapest out there, but it easy and quick to get up and running:

http://forums.netdui...er-hih6130-i2c/

You could also try the cheaper HTU1D, but I have no experience with that, so I can't tell you how it would work, but it looks simple enough.

http://forums.netdui...umidity-sensor/

Good luck!

#3 donkraft

donkraft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

I had to order what I could find in coolcomponents.co.uk, as I did not want to ship from many places, and it was more practical to order from inside EU..

I picked the NetDuino Plus 2 Starter Kit, some extra small stuff and I then picked a cheaper temparature sensor to begin with -the TMP012. Then I can add the much more expensive HIH6130 if I need the extra precision later. :)

#4 donkraft

donkraft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

This is the stuff I ordered:

Digital Temperature Sensor Breakout - TMP102 478 1 €4.84 Breadboard Deluxe 720 1 €5.29 NetDuino Plus 2 Starter Kit 764 1 €68.71 Netduino Plus 2 .NET / C# Development Board       1 x Netduino Plus 2 .NET / C# Development Board €0.00 1074     Breadboard Mini (Blue)       2 x Breadboard Mini (Linkable, Blue) €0.00 1187     Jumper Wires - Female to Female       1 x Jumper Wires - Female to Female €0.00 199     Jumper Wires - Male to Male       1 x Jumper Wires - Male to Male €0.00 175     Piezo Buzzer       1 x Piezo Buzzer €0.00 341     Tilt Switch - 15 degrees       2 x Tilt Switch - 15 degrees €0.00 340     Component Box 6B       1 x Component Box 6B €0.00 668     USB A to micro B Cable       1 x USB A to micro B Cable €0.00 625     LED - Red 3mm       2 x LED - Red 3mm €0.00 213     LED - Yellow 3mm       2 x LED - Yellow 3mm €0.00 215     LED - Green 3mm       2 x LED - Green 3mm €0.00 214     Transistor NPN BC547B       2 x Transistor NPN BC547B €0.00 327     Switch - Mini Tactile PCB       2 x Switch - Mini Tactile PCB €0.00 202     Resistor 220K 0.25W       5 x Resistor 220K 0.25W €0.00 338     Resistor 220R 0.25W       5 x Resistor 220R 0.25W €0.00 336     Resistor 10K 0.25W       5 x Resistor 10K 0.25W €0.00 339     Diode 1N4001       2 x Diode 1N4001 €0.00 343     Opto Isolator 4N35       2 x Opto Isolator 4N35 €0.00 342     Hitec Servo Motor HS-422 235 1 €15.26 Alligator Test Leads - Multicolored 10 Pack 1347 1 €2.34 Getting Started with Netduino 960 1 €12.91

Is there anything else I need to get started? Do I need a soldering iron for example?

Edit: Formatting fucked, sorry :(

#5 ShVerni

ShVerni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

I don't know much about that sensor, but that looks good. You won't need a soldering iron to do breadboard work, but if you want to make something more permanent, they're indispensable. The only thing is, you'll need a good amount of jumper wires (upwards of a dozen at least), so as long as you have that it looks like you're off to a great start. Please do keep us informed of how things go!

Best of luck!

#6 donkraft

donkraft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

Thanks! :)

The stuff is backordered with Coolcomponents.co.uk, so I have time to add a few extra things.

Starting from completely blank slate and knowing less than nothing about this whole area, so I am sure this is a stupid question, but here goes:

Would The jumper cables you talk about, would that be something like these:

Male to Male Jumper Wire Variety Pack

jumper2500.jpg

https://www.coolcomp...riety-pack.html

Do I need some female ones as well?

#7 Spiked

Spiked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

Yes.  If you think you are going to stick with it, invest in good crimpers, and get some female ends, and just make a few as you need them.

The thing is, from a practical point of view, you can make a female male by adding a pin, not so much the other way around. But a male will have a more solid connection, so I dont know if I would get all females.  I ended up with a bunch of both.  Last project needed male to female :|

#8 ShVerni

ShVerni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

Agreed. I have a large supply of every possible type of jumper, and the all come in handy. Still, for just starting out, the male-male will be most useful if everything is being done on a breadboard, but it never hurts to have more jumpers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.