• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 woof_woof_bark_bark

woof_woof_bark_bark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hello World, I'm working on a driver and the basic gist/setup of the method is :

public enum

{

cat = 0,

dog = 1

}

public void SpecificChipFunctionality(int x, animals y)
        {

}

I want to make the driver so that the user - when calling the method gets some sort of prompt from intellisense suggesting that "cat" should be used. The only way that I know how to do that is:

public void SpecificChipFunctionality(int x, animals y = animals.cat)
        {

}

My issue with doing this is I have another method with the same name that takes in a byte, and if I want to call the byte form, Visual Studio converts my input (ex. 0x16) to an int and executes the wrong method.

Is there a way to suggest that a specific value is used without having to set it equal?

Thanks, 
woof_woof_bark_bark

#2 Miha Markic

Miha Markic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNova Gorica, Slovenia

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

One solution could be that you name your methods differently. Or cast your value to byte when calling method. Other than that, C# will find most suitable method overload and if you are passing an int then the method will be the one with a default value.

Miha Markic, Microsoft MVP C#
Righthand .net consulting and software development
http://blog.rthand.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.