Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

PS2 Keyboard scancodes output

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

Hello!

New project time here.

I have a widget that poses as a cradle for a Palm III device. When activated it promptly accepts PS2 keyboard scancodes and translates them into something the Palm would understand.

It can make it easier to type real text into a memo application on it for example.

Does anyone have any suggestions for having a Netduino version 1 device pose as something that when it receives a burst of binary data of any form, it then turns that burst into what a keyboard would be saying?

Oddly enough I originally got involved in this problem when someone on the forum for the Arduino family asked about having his device pose as a keyboard. I do not know if it was ever properly sorted out over there.

Never mind the fact that people have written code that once flashed onto that thing turns it into a HID device. And there's already one who's end game is behaving like that......

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#2 Zoot

Zoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

A Netduino 1 might be a little small for the task. memory wise, but you could have some digital outputs interfaced to a PS2 connector, and have whatever binary input you like with remaining pins.  You'd only need 8 bits to implement the full (basic) ASCII character table.  You could use a lookup table to convert into PS2 scan codes.  That's where the memory crunch comes in on the N1. 

If you're really adventurous, you might design a conversion algorithm to convert the binary data to PS2 codes.  Not sure how that could be implemented.  A lookup table might be the easiest way to go.

#3 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

A Netduino 1 might be a little small for the task. memory wise, but you could have some digital outputs interfaced to a PS2 connector, and have whatever binary input you like with remaining pins.  You'd only need 8 bits to implement the full (basic) ASCII character table.  You could use a lookup table to convert into PS2 scan codes.  That's where the memory crunch comes in on the N1. 

If you're really adventurous, you might design a conversion algorithm to convert the binary data to PS2 codes.  Not sure how that could be implemented.  A lookup table might be the easiest way to go.

Hello!

Now remember I have that thing who takes in scan codes. Look up, "happy hacking cradle" in Google (without the double quotes). This device is what does the heavy lifting, and is holding onto the Palm Pilot IIIX device.

As I understand it, the codes are sent in serial fashion and are clocked poorly. Oddly enough the Mouse scan codes are also. The fact that they use the same connector was to make it easier on the assembly bots...... 

For the moment I am going to be using one of my pulled logic chips to do that something else, the data to it will be coming from a second Palm with its serial port set to translate back to TTL logic using an appropriate part.

I had hoped to have a Netduino do some of the middle management functions.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.