Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

NetMF "Simple Storage"

netduino storage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NameOfTheDragon

NameOfTheDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCanterbury, Kent, UK

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

In forum posts elsewhere, I've seen Chris W. refer to something called "Simple Storage" that is supposed to make a portion of the flash memory available for reading and writing data without needing an SD card. This technology was introduced in NetMF 4.2, apparently.

I can't find any reference to this in the NetMF or Netduino documentation (I'm not really sure what I'm looking for)... could someone please point me to the relevant section or otherwise provide a code sample?

I need to just save a few configuration items to non-volatile storage. I could use an SD card but that's an expensive way to save about 16 bytes of data!

Thanks.

Tim Long

#2 energywave

energywave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

Chris, can you tell us about this feature please?

I'm using 4.3.1 firmware with 4.3 QFE2 sdk but I cannot find any evidence of "Simple Storage". I too have to save 14 bytes between boots with a N2 so I don't even have the SD option...

What is the status of this feature in 4.3.1 firmware? It it's implemented give us a hint to use it...

Thank you in advance.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:18 AM

Hi Tim, energywave:

Simple Storage is a flash sector configuration feature added to NETMF. It basically turns a chunk of flash into user-writeable storage. It's not a complete feature, and there are a lot of various sector/page flash issues to think about...but it may be possible for us to reconfigure a flash sector for user storage in a future firmware release.

No official plans or release dates at the moment...but I wanted to make sure I got you more info.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.