Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

LCD panel from old 8.5" Philips TV (a085fw01 v7)

lcd panel auo a085fw01 v7 a085fw01 i2c driver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Esben

Esben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

Hi,

My small Philips TV broke (DVD drive malfunction), and upon disassembly I found a AUO a085fw01 v7 LCD panel inside.

From the datasheet (Attached File  a085fw01 datasheet.pdf   908.1KB   4 downloads), it looks like quite a job to get it to do anything meaningful :)

How would I go about using this with a Netduino, is it even remotely possible for a hobbyist like me?

I believe I would need some sort of controller and a .netMF driver (can these be some kind of generic or does it have to be tailor made for the specific panel)?

Lots of novice questions :) I just want to know if I should put the LCD in the thrash.

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

IMVHO it will be rather hard - as you can see in the datasheet, the LCD requires complex driving signals with precise timing (e.g. tCPH is 99 .. 107 ns) and multiple voltages (for an overview how to drive LCD with a microcontroller have a look for example at AN658). You'd also need some serious tools for troubleshooting, like oscilloscope and/or logic analyzer.

There are microcontrollers with dedicated (hardware) LCD drivers, e.g. STM32F427/37, which makes it a little bit easier, but still it is going to be a lot of work...

Much easier is to use the existing driver board from the TV and hope it has some usable interface. Almost certainly undocumented, so you'd need to decode the protocol...

#3 Esben

Esben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

Hi CW2,

Thank you for the feedback.

It seems I might be a bit over my head in this :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lcd panel, auo, a085fw01 v7, a085fw01, i2c, driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.