Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

LCD / Ethernet Module Hardware Connection -> Driver -> .NET Micro Interface -> My Code

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tonofsteel

tonofsteel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Is there anywhere to learn more about how the interfacing of hardware to the final software is done?  I search and see lots of examples showing basic 2x20 character LCD libraries and code but not so much when things get any more complicated than that.

I have read the following:

http://highfieldtale...0-eve-microwpf/

After going through the source code it looks like the Window object is part of the library he wrote and inherits ContentControl.  There are controls and code that are part of the library and then other parts that are part of the .NET micro WPF, but it is not clear what is part of which.

Is there any good documents/books/blogs/etc that shows more details about taking a piece of hardware like a Ethernet module or LCD and interfacing it to the point of using it in the software?  the LCD can have something like the EVE FT800 as above or it could be a "bare" LCD with only a parallel interface.  An Ethernet module can have the same, a serial/SPI interface or connect to the on-board interface (is it MAC onboard with the PHY as a separate chip?)

I know the chain goes something like this:

Hardware->Comm protocol/interface->driver->OS/bare metal interface->library usage in application code

For the Netduino Plus 2 how do I learn more about this chain?  I know in many cases you may have to write the driver portion of things, but where/how does this connect into .NET micro framework?  If there is WPF available I would think that somewhere as part of the .NET micro you implement an interface that calls your driver code.  This would handle all the logistics of drawing so then when you create a new form/window the WPF part of the framework calls the interface (which you would have told .NET micro about)

I think this concept comes up with almost any platform.  If you were using a Linux based system you would still have the hardware->driver->tell the OS about it connection.

Can anyone offer any insight?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.