Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino 1 internet/PC connection

netduino internet connection

Best Answer Zoot, 28 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

Yes, you can do something like that.  The Visual studio programming environment also lets you write Windows programs, so you could write a program with a button in it using C# (the same language that the Netduino uses).  You would need to use the serial port on the PC (if you have one), or else an Ethernet connection to talk to the Netduino.  To use Ethernet, you will need an Ethernet shield for the Netduino 1 so that it can talk to the Internet, or just between the PC and the Netduino.  The Netduino 1 doesn't natively support Ethernet without some extra hardware.

The serial port is a little easier, because there is no special hardware involved (actually, to use a native serial port on a PC, you would need a serial shield, or some sort of translator to change the voltage levels from the serial port to something that the Netduino can handle.  So there would be hardware involved to use the serial port), other than a serial port on the PC.  The easiest way to use a serial port is to use an FTDI USB to serial cable to talk to the Netduino.  The only tricky part is having a Windows program use the serial port.  There are serial classes for C# in Windows that you can use, and you can find plenty of examples on the web on how to use these classes to communicate with your projects.

Things to search for on the 'net:

"Using a serial port in C#"

"C# serial port"

"C# Ethernet"

"FTDI USB to serial cable"

This is a good start:

http://msdn.microsof...serialport.aspx

http://stackoverflow...port-in-c-sharp

A little research and some programming, and you'll have LEDs blinking to Windows button presses in no time.  Check out some of the information and post back.  Once you understand a little more, you'll have a clearer idea of where you need to go, and we can help you get there. :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 victorSantana09

victorSantana09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hello everyone !

I'm pretty new at netduino's world,i've just got a netduino 1 plataform.
I've been searching any way to send information from my PC (or even internet) to my netduino (and vice versa) and
till now i got a few and complex things,but nothing straight and
that could help.My question is : is there any way to do something like that? For example,turn on a led when a button is clicked on my PC?

#2 Zoot

Zoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:03 PM   Best Answer

Yes, you can do something like that.  The Visual studio programming environment also lets you write Windows programs, so you could write a program with a button in it using C# (the same language that the Netduino uses).  You would need to use the serial port on the PC (if you have one), or else an Ethernet connection to talk to the Netduino.  To use Ethernet, you will need an Ethernet shield for the Netduino 1 so that it can talk to the Internet, or just between the PC and the Netduino.  The Netduino 1 doesn't natively support Ethernet without some extra hardware.

The serial port is a little easier, because there is no special hardware involved (actually, to use a native serial port on a PC, you would need a serial shield, or some sort of translator to change the voltage levels from the serial port to something that the Netduino can handle.  So there would be hardware involved to use the serial port), other than a serial port on the PC.  The easiest way to use a serial port is to use an FTDI USB to serial cable to talk to the Netduino.  The only tricky part is having a Windows program use the serial port.  There are serial classes for C# in Windows that you can use, and you can find plenty of examples on the web on how to use these classes to communicate with your projects.

Things to search for on the 'net:

"Using a serial port in C#"

"C# serial port"

"C# Ethernet"

"FTDI USB to serial cable"

This is a good start:

http://msdn.microsof...serialport.aspx

http://stackoverflow...port-in-c-sharp

A little research and some programming, and you'll have LEDs blinking to Windows button presses in no time.  Check out some of the information and post back.  Once you understand a little more, you'll have a clearer idea of where you need to go, and we can help you get there. :)

#3 victorSantana09

victorSantana09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Many thanks Zoot! i'll keep trying the possibilities you pointed out .... but , for now , to make the things easier , i just bought a netduino plus 1. Again , many thanks ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.