Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

InterruptPort/Events slow the first time

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Hi guys, 

I've got some sensors that I've written drivers for which use InterruptPort to notify whenever something happens.

The problem is that the very first time the event triggers it takes one or two seconds to fire. All subsequent events are raised instantly.

I assume that this has to do with the way .NETMF runs code, so I'm not sure if there is any way around it. I've tried to manually call the eventhandlers after my board has booted, just to warm up all the bits, but the first time the event is raised it is still very slow.

Is anyone else seeing the same? Is there anything to do about it?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hi Frode,

If you run MFDeploy, connect to your board via F5 and then trigger an interrupt, do you see the same issue?

Also: while debugging in Visual Studio: if you write out a statement via Debug.Print when your project starts, do you see the same issue?

Chris

#3 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hi Chris, I've tested some more. Here is some simple code where it is slow the first time.

public class ProgramNetduino2
{
    static OutputPort blueLed = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D9, false);
    static InterruptPort button = new InterruptPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D12, true, Port.ResistorMode.Disabled, Port.InterruptMode.InterruptEdgeBoth);

public static void Main()
    {
        button.OnInterrupt += button_OnInterrupt;

Thread.Sleep(Timeout.Infinite);
    }

static void button_OnInterrupt(uint data1, uint data2, DateTime time)
    {
        Debug.Print("Button interrupt caught.");
        blueLed.Write(data2 == 0);
    }
}

When testing it seems like the first interrupt is only slow when I debug from Visual Studio. If I disconnect from Visual Studio, and just power the board, it works as intended.

I also tried starting up MFDeploy, powered up the Netduino 2 (running 4.3), pressed F5 to connect, and then clicked the button to trigger the event. It was fast there as well.

So I'm beginning to think that this is a problem only when debugging from Visual Studio.

#4 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

Here is an even simpler example - no external parts required. Just a Netduino 2 with 4.3.1 firmware.

The first time you press the onboard button the led doesn't react the same as the next times you press. But still looks like this only happens when debugging through Visual Studio (2013).

public class Program
{
    static OutputPort blueLed = new OutputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_LED, false);
    static InterruptPort button = new InterruptPort(Pins.ONBOARD_BTN, true, Port.ResistorMode.Disabled, Port.InterruptMode.InterruptEdgeBoth);

public static void Main()
    {
        button.OnInterrupt += button_OnInterrupt;

Thread.Sleep(Timeout.Infinite);
    }

static void button_OnInterrupt(uint data1, uint data2, DateTime time)
    {
        Debug.Print("Button interrupt caught.");
        blueLed.Write(data2 > 0);
    }
}

#5 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Perhaps someone else can try this simple code and confirm that they see the same...? :)

#6 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Anyone? It'll just take a couple of minutes to test the code above. No jumper wires etc required to test the simple code above.

It would be very nice to get a verification from someone.

#7 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Not VS 2013, but Using C# 2010 Express, MF4.2 and pushing the button on a Plus 2, yields nearly instantaneous debug output and led blink.

--> Button interrupt caught.

#8 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Thanks Baxter - I'm thinking it might be an 4.3.1 or a Visual Studio 2013 problem. Would be interresting to see if others could test as well.

#9 sfx

sfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Hi Frode,

I'm running VS 2013 with NETMF 4.3 QFE1, but I didn't find the interrupt port to respond slowly during debugging. I ran your code a handful of times and each time found the actuating latency to be largely uninhibited.

Hope that helps.

Nathan

#10 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hi Nathan, thanks for testing. Just to be sure - after deploying to the Netduino I'm seeing a 1-2 second delay when I click the onboard button the first time. Your not getting the same?

On all the subsequent buttonclicks the LED responds immediately, but the very first time it is sluggish for me.

#11 sfx

sfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hi Frode,

Yes, that's right. I just tested it again and found that the initial press after deploy was trapped by the debugger almost immediately.

Nathan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.