Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sfugarino

sfugarino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

I bought a FTDI Basic Breakout from Sparkfun and wanted to hook it up to a COM port on my Netduino.I got a little confused about whether to use the FTDI CDM or VCP drivers. I have another device that uses the CDM drivers. Think I went about it wrong and ended up with CDM and VCP drivers. Anyway the other device still works and the FTDI Breakout works except for a minor issue.

I have the breakout attached to my Netduino by connecting Pin 0 to TX on the breakout, Pin 1 to RX on the breakout and ground to CTS(pull down). I did not connect the GRND and VIN pins on the breakout. I got scared I might damage the Netduino. Don't know why, I just hesitated. Hooked the usb cable to my PC, fired up Putty and it worked. That is with one problem described below. Should I connect VIN and GRND?

When I plug the breakout into Windows, Windows 7 installs USB Serial, COM Port, and Microsoft Serial BallPoint drivers. The BallPoint driver makes my mouse jusp whenever data is sent to the PC. The work around is to disable the BallPoint device in Device manager.

The main thing I want to find out is whether I should attach VIN and GRND. But, why in the world is that dang Mouse driver getting installed?

#2 rharding64

rharding64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:15 AM

1.  The FTDI driver comes with both VCP and D2XX drivers.  It automatically switches between them as needed. In the past, you did have to manually indicate whether you were using VCP, and before that, the drivers were offered separately. 

So no need to worry about this issue. 

2.  connecting Vin and GROUND, -- quickly looking at the ftdi breakout schematic, i do not see a Vin line on the i/o connector. I notice that there are a few different versions of this breakout; 3.3V,  5V , and 3.3V/5.5V Arduino compatible; Since the Netduino is 5V compatible, it will work with 5V or 3.3V.  In any case, the ground should be connected to complete the circuit. 

3.  ballpoint driver, uninstall the ballpoint driver,   uninstall the FTDI driver, reboot and reinstall FTDI driver. plug in your module. 

Ron 

#3 sfugarino

sfugarino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:31 AM

Man, thought I just bricked my Netduino. Messing around in the dark plugging wires in. Damn thing froze with power and user light on. Rebooted to no avail. Finally put it in bootloader mode and reflashed the firmware. Had to reinstall the drivers. That was a close one.

The VIN is labeled 5V on the breakout. I don't think it needs to be connected because I'm not going to be [or can't] power the board from the breakout.

#4 sfugarino

sfugarino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:14 AM

It works with the RX and TX alone. Of course, I'm only sending data from the Netduino to the PC.

#5 rharding64

rharding64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:21 AM

on the Vin, yes, you can have bus power or self power.  So when powered on the bus, Vin is disconnected because Vin comes from the PC host.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.