Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus 2 GPS Laptimer

Netduino GPS Lap Timer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jwvolschenk

jwvolschenk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

I am fairly new to the Netduino community, but after browsing and learning from the more experienced people I thought I would attempt a project of my own. 

I want to create a Lap and Sector timer for my karting endeavors. There are existing systems that can do this but I wanted to create my own. Besides the updates of your sector times I want to add any other external measurements like throttle postition, brake position, G forces, engine temperature etc which will greatly enhance the experience.

So after doing some research I decided upon the Adafruit Ultimate GPS shield to be my GPS receiver of choice. So first steps were to just get GPS signal and later on determine sectors and intersections of coordinates.

It is still a work in progress project. Hopefully get some decent testing this weekend and data to continue this development.

Just like to thank the Netduino team for all their great work in giving us a powerfull framework to work with. As well as the developers of NETMF Toolbox. This library is such a great tool and help!  :)

Any suggestions or criticism is welcome. Follow the project on Codeplex

Update (2014-03-12): Tested the GPS point calculation to a predefined sector and it worked.

Attached Files

#2 thepilotfish

thepilotfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hello,

Cool idea. Although it might not live up to GT Academy standards... (nice fire suit!) 

My guess: the GPS shield with the patch antenna has a limited spatial resolution which will affect the precision of your measurement (depends on conditions but it's safe to assume +/- 10m error). In addition you are limited to maximum of 10 samples / second refresh rate. Add those two together and you are probably looking at half second resolution or worse.

Still an interesting project though. You can throw in some interpolation and compare with a beacon-based lap timer to see how close you can get the results... Or maybe add a 9-axis gyro/accelerometer/magnetometer to capture kart dynamics around the track?

Good luck! 

Chris

www.projectpilotfish.com

#3 jwvolschenk

jwvolschenk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

;) Thanx about the suit!

Well I know there will be some precision issues at first but I am hoping to get accurate to about 0.1s at the end. With the limited refresh intervals I am sure it won't be able to get any better than that. Hopefully with some clever math it can be solved. Now it is just learning it and testing.

But is that the allure of these projects? Building projects to make the improbable probable... 

In the end I want to incorporate a GSM module as well to provide live updates to the pit crew so they can monitor the karts and driver performance and hopefully result in a better setup.

#4 briankeithsmith

briankeithsmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

This is a project that I want to do as well, for my car at the road course racetracks I go to (VIR, CMP, Road Atlanta mainly).  I have a RacePak datalogger, but want to build my own.  Thanks for posting your code, because yesterday I selected the Adafruit Ultimate GPS module that you used!

#5 jwvolschenk

jwvolschenk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

Yeah I have been making some progress on the module but will only probably begin testing end of this month once we have the Kart up and running. I will commit the latest code once I have started testing which should be of some help :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Netduino, GPS, Lap, Timer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.