Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

USB input from barcode scanner to N2+

Best Answer jrlyman3, 30 December 2013 - 04:35 AM

I got the Host USB shield from Sparkfun.  I hooked it up to an Arduino UNO (after installing the appropriate libraries, and adding a wire to the shield as described in the documentation) and it worked great with my generic barcode reader.  I then started to look at the Arduino code in preparation for porting it to the Netduino.  I decided that it was going to be quite a bit of work to port, and I put it on the back burner.

If you just want to support the scanner you don't have as much to port ... but, you have to figure out how it all works to know what you need and what you don't.

I suggest that you buy an Arduino and hook it up to the Netduino with a serial port.  It's a way to start, and who knows maybe someone will get around to porting the USB host library to C# in 2014 :-).

John

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mbargar13

mbargar13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

We are looking to hook up a USB barcode scanner to a N2+ and are not 100% sure what to use (USB-host shield, FTDI breakout board). Are there any suggestions. The scanner we are using is Honeywell 3800g (here is a link to the data sheet http://www.honeywell...evC_0110_EN.pdf) It is a USB connector and supports "TTL level RS232" and "Keyboard Wedge" and "USB" (whihc i am guessing that it would act like a USB keyboard). We are looking at this USB-host shield http://store-juoflv6...sb-host-shield/) and also saw a "FT232RL USB to Serial" on the netduino wiki. Any idea which one would work for our situation?

#2 mbargar13

mbargar13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

No ideas? Does the Netduino even support USB anything? All of the answers anywhere about USB are very vague. Has anybody implemented hooking anything USB up to the Netduino (i.e. keyboard) using a FTDI board or a USB shield?

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

Hi mbargar13, USB Host is a pretty complicated peripheral feature. If a shield exists which can communicate with USB devices and translate a specific USB profile (like USB HID for keyboards) to something that your app can process via SPI or UART...then that's a good way to go for this type of application. Typically Netduino is on the other side of USB...the device side rather than the host side. Chris

#4 jrlyman3

jrlyman3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth St Paul. MN

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:35 AM   Best Answer

I got the Host USB shield from Sparkfun.  I hooked it up to an Arduino UNO (after installing the appropriate libraries, and adding a wire to the shield as described in the documentation) and it worked great with my generic barcode reader.  I then started to look at the Arduino code in preparation for porting it to the Netduino.  I decided that it was going to be quite a bit of work to port, and I put it on the back burner.

If you just want to support the scanner you don't have as much to port ... but, you have to figure out how it all works to know what you need and what you don't.

I suggest that you buy an Arduino and hook it up to the Netduino with a serial port.  It's a way to start, and who knows maybe someone will get around to porting the USB host library to C# in 2014 :-).

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.