• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Woodlands-Glen

Woodlands-Glen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Can anyone help with these opcode warnings that I get?

I get an opcode 'conv.ovf.i4 for each serial.write statement.

I get an opcode 'conv.ovf.u1.un for the Next statement that is part of a For Next loop

I get an opcode 'add.ovf for the Next statement that is part of a different For Next Loop

The only ill side effect that I see is that the serial.write is dropping the last character in the write buffer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

Hi Glen, Can you reduce this down to a small sample (<=10 lines of code) that we can reproduce here and submit as a bug report? Thank you, Chris

#3 Woodlands-Glen

Woodlands-Glen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Chris,

I would if you point me in the direction of bug submissions.  I don't know how to submit a bug.

Here are some examples:

Message = Message.Substring(0, Message.Length-2)

Causes

opcode 'sub.ovf' -- overflow will not throw exception

EndPosition = Message.Length-1

Cases the same warning

Dim NewMessageArray(EndPosition-StartPosition) as byte

Causes the same warning and

opcode 'add.ovf' -- overflow will not throw exception

For Position = StartPosition to EndPosition

Next

The 'Next' causes opcode 'add.ovf' -- overflow will not throw exception

And there are many more.  They have not causes a problem in execution yet, will all of the warning messaged, it is difficult to see what really needs to be addressed and what may cause problems in the future.

Glen

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

I would if you point me in the direction of bug submissions.  I don't know how to submit a bug.

The bug was submitted two years ago, see Overflow warning occurs only on every other build (weird), closed on 1/24/2012 with no comment, so it was most likely not fixed. According to the information in the original thread, these are probably caused by a bug in VB.NET implementation for .NET Micro Framework; if you use 'long' numeric types, you could be able to eliminate the errors by casting to 'int', before the numeric variables are used in expressions, array indices etc.

#5 Woodlands-Glen

Woodlands-Glen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

I read through the original thread but since it wasn't resolved and 2 years had gone by, I hoped that someone would have looked at it by now.  For all I know these are normal compiler warning and can be suppressed somewhere, but I don't know and that is what I need help on.

I develop desktop apps, Windows Store apps, Windows Phone apps and NETMF.  Keeping all of these straight is sometimes a real chore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.