Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

opcode Warnings

VB Netduino + opcode warning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Woodlands-Glen

Woodlands-Glen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Can anyone help with these opcode warnings that I get?

I get an opcode 'conv.ovf.i4 for each serial.write statement.

I get an opcode 'conv.ovf.u1.un for the Next statement that is part of a For Next loop

I get an opcode 'add.ovf for the Next statement that is part of a different For Next Loop

The only ill side effect that I see is that the serial.write is dropping the last character in the write buffer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

Hi Glen, Can you reduce this down to a small sample (<=10 lines of code) that we can reproduce here and submit as a bug report? Thank you, Chris

#3 Woodlands-Glen

Woodlands-Glen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Chris,

I would if you point me in the direction of bug submissions.  I don't know how to submit a bug.

Here are some examples:

Message = Message.Substring(0, Message.Length-2)

Causes

opcode 'sub.ovf' -- overflow will not throw exception

EndPosition = Message.Length-1

Cases the same warning

Dim NewMessageArray(EndPosition-StartPosition) as byte

Causes the same warning and

opcode 'add.ovf' -- overflow will not throw exception

For Position = StartPosition to EndPosition

Next

The 'Next' causes opcode 'add.ovf' -- overflow will not throw exception

And there are many more.  They have not causes a problem in execution yet, will all of the warning messaged, it is difficult to see what really needs to be addressed and what may cause problems in the future.

Glen

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

I would if you point me in the direction of bug submissions.  I don't know how to submit a bug.

The bug was submitted two years ago, see Overflow warning occurs only on every other build (weird), closed on 1/24/2012 with no comment, so it was most likely not fixed. According to the information in the original thread, these are probably caused by a bug in VB.NET implementation for .NET Micro Framework; if you use 'long' numeric types, you could be able to eliminate the errors by casting to 'int', before the numeric variables are used in expressions, array indices etc.

#5 Woodlands-Glen

Woodlands-Glen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

I read through the original thread but since it wasn't resolved and 2 years had gone by, I hoped that someone would have looked at it by now.  For all I know these are normal compiler warning and can be suppressed somewhere, but I don't know and that is what I need help on.

I develop desktop apps, Windows Store apps, Windows Phone apps and NETMF.  Keeping all of these straight is sometimes a real chore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.