Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Magnetometer Calibration (HMC5883L)

Magnetometer Calibration HMC5883L Soft Iron Hard Iron

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Has anyone written or found any C# based classes for calibrating a magnetometer? Specifically the HMC5883L would be great.  Just wanted to check before I start writing the tools to do it.

In the end, what I'm shooting for is to have a calibration mode on Pandora's Box where I can prompt the user to do the figure 8/S pattern like a cellphone in order to calibrate the magnetometer by determining the proper Bias and Scale based on any Hard Iron or Soft Iron that may be affecting it.

Anyone who's read about my Pandora's Box project may be wonder why I'm looking for such accuracy from the Magnetometer if I'm only calculating out the Magnitude of the EMF (Electromagnetic Field) and logging it.  Well we've advanced the project to the point where we are using the Magnetometer to detect EM Flux (basically anything magnetic or electromagnetic passing through the magnetic field).  We are then taking these readings and plotting the readings on a 3D Scatter Graph.  The theory behind this is that it represents an energy or magnetic field change in 3D space.  For the "Believers" it theoretically could represent either a spirit/ghost/entity or even a portal forming or manifesting in 3D space.

So, the more accurately the Magnetometer is calibrated, the more accurately we can determine where these things are occurring in reference to Pandora's Box.  To give you an idea what we are doing, attached is a PDF of a scatter graph from a session.  You can see there are 4 blobs of EM flux.  We theorize these could be two people who were energetically communicating with two spirits that were in the room.

Attached Files

#2 trobson

trobson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hello Dave,

I am looking at interfacing the HMC5883L with a program for a RFID robot written in C#.   I was wondering if you ended up following through with your project and if you would mind sharing the classes if you did?

Many thanks,

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.