Magnetic controlled water ventil - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Magnetic controlled water ventil

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hello there! I have a nice Project idea for next spring / summer. I want to let my N+ controll 4+ water ventils and want to let it open / Close those ventiles in given intervals to create a Little water Show. Probably i want to expand this with different lights, but that would just be a Little extra. Now I hope you can help me with some questions: - Does anybody of you have experience on working with magnetic water ventils? I think I could Switch them on / off with some Relais, can you tell me how fast I can turn off and then on again? - Do you know where to buy them best? I live in Austria, but probably you can give me at least some general adivces. - Does anybody know how much one Ventil will cost? It is just a Little Project for myself in my garden, so it has not to be a high-end product, as a Student I'm always on a low Budget ;) Thanks for everybody who tries to help me, I appriciate everything :) Greets, Markus

NeonMika.Webserver
> Control your N+ and write webservice methods easyily
> Receive data from you N+ (in XML or JSON)
> Browse the SD on your N+ directly in the browser and d
own - and upload files

If you need help with NeonMika.Webserver, please just leave a note in the thread and/or contact me via Skype :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- Mistakes teach you important lessons. Every time you make one, you are one step closer to your goal. ----
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Sorry neighbor (and faaaar far far cousin since my Austro-Hungarian ancestry)...what is a "water ventil"? Any picture? Is it anything related to the water tricks in the Salzburg castle? Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

what is a "water ventil"?

A valve.

#4 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

A valve.

Thank you, Cuno.
We realized many systems using valves of various kinds, but I know only the hardware/software side, not the hydraulic one.
From what I know, a solenoid valve is not so much different from a relay, except for the greater current flow. That is not an issue hard to solve.
Anyway, I think the hardest thing to solve is the hydraulic section, because when you open/close a valve the water is involved in huge pressure/speed changes, and that can damage several parts.
Sorry for the limited info.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#5 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

I've worked with these Valves a little, but more with Pneumatics (air) for Halloween Props. You will need a relay or relay board to control them. Most of them are either 12vdc or 24vdc unless you are using High Voltage ones. Mechanical relays work well unless you are looking for high speed switching. If you are looking for High Speed switching I would recommend going with SSRs (Solid State Relays). They are more expensive but have no mechanical delay. For valves, a good place to start simply is the Hardware Store. If you have a local Hardware Store or Hardware Chain, you can look into Lawn Sprinkler control valves. I've used these for water as well as air. Hope this gives you a starting point. I don't have specific part numbers to recommend, but you should have no problem getting a relay board from someone like SeeedStudio (who is in Australia I believe) and I'm sure you must have hardware stores around that hopefully carry Lawn Sprinkler Systems. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

#6 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hey guys, thanks for your help. Sorry for the misleading naming. I'm no native speaker, so I try my best. I live in a very small town, so nothing near to me. But since I study in a big city now, I think I will take one afternoon off and will look for vaults in a hardware store. Do I understand you right? Your "Lawn Sprinkler control valves" let the water flow when current runs through, an closes when the currents stops flowing? And one little thing more to mention: It's Austria, not Australia. Mozart and Alps, no kangaroos :D Greets, Markus

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

If you need help with NeonMika.Webserver, please just leave a note in the thread and/or contact me via Skype :)

--- Mistakes teach you important lessons. Every time you make one, you are one step closer to your goal. ----

#7 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hey guys, thanks for your help.
Sorry for the misleading naming. I'm no native speaker, so I try my best.

I live in a very small town, so nothing near to me. But since I study in a big city now, I think I will take one afternoon off and will look for vaults in a hardware store.
Do I understand you right? Your "Lawn Sprinkler control valves" let the water flow when current runs through, an closes when the currents stops flowing?

And one little thing more to mention: It's Austria, not Australia. Mozart and Alps, no kangaroos :D

Greets, Markus

Yes, you are right about the valve. When voltage is supplied the solenoid inside opens the valve. When current stops it closes. They may also be called Irrigation Valves.

Sorry about the country mishap... Spell-check corrected it to the wrong country, then stupid me re-read my post and saw Australia and added SeeedStudio. :(

#8 pounce

pounce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

http://stores.ebay.com/valves4projects Have used these with water and propane for interesting projects. No relation to the seller.

#9 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hey guys (and probably Girls): You are amazing! Dave, it's no Problem, it's a common mistake. One of my favourite Austrian online Shops posted some days ago, that their new items which should be deliever on this day are now chilling in the sun of Australia :D pounce, your idea with ebay was great, i found a reseller for the german-speaking regions. and now i know how to call them exactly: Solenoid Valve / Elektromagnetventil :) I have to admit: I'm Kind of a Hardware noob. So can you give me advise on how to use Relais (do you have a tutorial?) or can you reccomend some Relais boards (I don't know how to call them, just a board with 4+ Relais on it)... I think it's good to know for you that it won't be more than 8 valves i want to use (for the beginning i want to start with 4) Greets, Markus PS: Sorry for the big word beginnings, just switched to Windows 8 and be using Internet Explorer. Everthing's fine except the English auto-correct (at least when you are Austrian :P)

NeonMika.Webserver
own - and upload files

#10 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have to admit: I'm Kind of a Hardware noob. So can you give me advise on how to use Relais (do you have a tutorial?) or can you reccomend some Relais boards (I don't know how to call them, just a board with 4+ Relais on it)... I think it's good to know for you that it won't be more than 8 valves i want to use (for the beginning i want to start with 4)

Markus,

Here is a link to some relays that I am using. Relay Boards

Connecting them is easy, I use the 12vdc relay boards with a Wall Power Supply. You tie the negative terminal on the relay board to the ground on the Netduino, then wire from the IN terminal on the relay board to a DIO on the Netduino one digital pin per relay. Each Relay is driven by a transistor on the relay board and pulls .33 milli amps from the Netduino.

The attached picture shows a 4 relay board attached to a Netduino Go and shieldbase, but connections would be the same for the other Netduinos.

Code for the attached picture may need some changes for the current firmware but is listed in this thread. Thread with Code for thermostat control, 2 stages cooling, 2 stages of heat and LCD display

By the way the relay boards are made in Bulgaria so the postage maybe cheaper.

Chuck

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.