Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Mounting Hole Woes Netduino Plus 2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Today I am finding that I have mounting hole woes. I cant manage to get a 4-40 screw with any head type to work in the hole near the I2C header. The Netduino is difficult enough to mount with 3 instead of 4 holes. This now leaves us with 2 holes that are usable. Anyone working on any mounting solutions? Maybe a 3D printed shell that the board can be clipped into and that can be screwed inside an enclosure.

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Today I am finding that I have mounting hole woes. I cant manage to get a 4-40 screw with any head type to work in the hole near the I2C header. The Netduino is difficult enough to mount with 3 instead of 4 holes. This now leaves us with 2 holes that are usable.

Anyone working on any mounting solutions? Maybe a 3D printed shell that the board can be clipped into and that can be screwed inside an enclosure.

Have you thought about using the nylon PCB stand off type mounts?

Regards,
Mark

Edit - changed PC to PCB.

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Dave,

If you use Nylon 4-40 socket head cap screws say 1/4", it will fit (tite) but it does go through the hole. I tried it with a Nylon 4-40 x 3/8 hex thread standoff which is against the solder joint but being nylon should not be a problem.

Try Amazon Black 4-40 x 3/8" Socket Head Caps Screws from Small Parts, They are a Prime dealer so if you are a Prime member its 2 day shipping free (I joined because of all the Netduino stuff I was buying and shipping 2 -day costs to much). They also have the white Nylon.

The nice thing is it has some give without breaking and is insulated so you don't short anything out. The 3/8" is about $5.00 for 100.

Chuck

#4 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Dave,

If you use Nylon 4-40 socket head cap screws say 1/4", it will fit (tite) but it does go through the hole. I tried it with a Nylon 4-40 x 3/8 hex thread standoff which is against the solder joint but being nylon should not be a problem.

Try Amazon Black 4-40 x 3/8" Socket Head Caps Screws from Small Parts, They are a Prime dealer so if you are a Prime member its 2 day shipping free (I joined because of all the Netduino stuff I was buying and shipping 2 -day costs to much). They also have the white Nylon.

The nice thing is it has some give without breaking and is insulated so you don't short anything out. The 3/8" is about $5.00 for 100.

Chuck

I'll order some and give it a shot. At least with the Nylon it could easily be sanded down a bit if needed.

#5 emg

emg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Have you thought about using the nylon PCB stand off type mounts?

I've used these: Mini Locking Circuit Board Support
They have a self adhesive base and work well for me...

#6 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I've used these: Mini Locking Circuit Board Support
They have a self adhesive base and work well for me...

They were the ones I was thinking of as they did not need screws to fix the board in place.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#7 caEstrada

caEstrada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

Have you seen these: http://mx.mouser.com...Keyword=spacers You can find similar with Newark. Regards, Carlos A. Estrada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.