Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

joystick for netduino

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eseeweb

eseeweb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

hi I am new to netduino and is looking for a joystick to work with it. Will this one work? http://www.robotshop...r-08&lang=en-US thx, Ted.

#2 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi Ted,

Welcome to the forums!

I can't find a schematic for that shield, but I suspect it is not 100% compatible.
The area that may be a problem is the voltage for the analogue outputs, I think these will be zero to 5V, rather than the zero to 3.3V the Netduino will need.
The 5V will not damage the Netduino, but you will not get the full range of the joysticks converted to a number.
For example, a reading of 0x000 may be given for full travel to the left, but full scale 0x3FF may be reported for just right of centre.

It may be possible to make an adjustment by re-routing 3.3V from the Netduinio to the 5V pin of the shield. This can work, but it would be prudent to get the schematic first or hear from someone else who has one.

Hope this helps a little- Paul

EDIT:
Stefan reviewed one in the Wiki

#3 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hi Ted,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Netduino! To add on to what Paul has suggested, Stefan has also wrote a class for just the thumb joystick alone. You can find the code and schematics here - Thumb Joystick.

You can buy the joystick from several vendors, as listed on the device list of the .NET Micro Framework Toolbox, but if Robotshop is your preferred vendor, here's the link for the joystick.

Being from Canada myself, I prefer the Montreal base Robotshop.ca for most of my purchases. It' much cheaper and faster to ship from there.

Cheers,
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.