Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino plus with nitgen fingerprint scanner(fim5360)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Randyjp

Randyjp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Has anyone of you ever tried to built a project with netduino and a nitgen finger print scanner? I just got the fim5360 from sparkfun and I have no idea how to start working with it and my netduino plus. If you have any ideas or some kind of code I would really appreciate it. Attached to the you will find the datasheet and the serial protocol documentation. Should I use the max232 to the serial communication? Any ideas will help

Attached Files

#2 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hi Randy, Welcome to the forums! The data sheet is a little confusing. It does indicate that you can use an RS232 interface, so yes you can communicate with it using a MAX 232 family chip. It also says in the first pages that the level is switchable between RS232 and LVCMOS. If true, this suggests you can connect the device directly to the Netduino without using a MAX chip. BUT, I can't see any further mention of how to do this. I was expecting to see different pins for the LVCMOS serial or an input that turns the RS232 on or off. There is a diagram showing separate RS232 and LVCMOS UARTS. The final confusion is that in tables of pin connections at the end of the data sheet it also shows I2C - but that is also not mentioned. I would start off by assuming you have to use RS232, and once you start using the device try and investigate whether the LVCMOS serial connection is possible. Its a shame when the data is not clear. Have Fun - Paul

#3 Randyjp

Randyjp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

Thanks Paul! I was very disappointed with this datasheet, this could be a great device but with this kind of data is not easy to use for a first timer like me. I guess I'll try the two ways to see if it works, hope somebody else knows

#4 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

I think the lvcmos is a different part from what the sheet says that said I would be surprised if it outputted 12v as it said it had a 5v supply... Personally I would use a hex inverter to buffer the rx and TX and see what happens, if needed I would use a max232 and opto isolator to be on the safe side... Nak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.