How to validate connectivity to ethernet? - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

How to validate connectivity to ethernet?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:39 AM

Wellll, new to netduino and networking... and trying to get netduino+ talking to a server app.... But on netduino all I get are 10053 socket errors. Since I can't ping to or from netduino, makes it very hard to pursue... Suggestions? (ultimate goal is to do http get/post ops from netduino)

#2 ColinR

ColinR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

Confirm you have received an IP Address - better yet, set your Netduino to a static IP. Then do a normal GET request, and work from there. There are examples on the forum, and in the SDK. Start small, and work your way up - I have found that most of my issues have been RAM related.

#3 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

It's certainly not perfect, but maybe my simple GsiotDiagnostics program helps:

Download page

As Colin said, try it with a static IP address if it doesn't work with DHCP.

Best regards

Cuno

#4 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:46 AM

Confirm you have received an IP Address - better yet, set your Netduino to a static IP.
Then do a normal GET request, and work from there. There are examples on the forum, and in the SDK.

We got it working!

Start small, and work your way up - I have found that most of my issues have been RAM related.

You mean your app is too large to run in RAM?

Or ?

#5 ColinR

ColinR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

You mean your app is too large to run in RAM? Or ?

I find that when the amount of free RAM gets lower than 32KB, network activity starts to fail more regularly - by no means a scientific measurement, just from observation.

#6 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

Colin, How do you measure free RAM? (Sorry, I am new to all this...)

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hi samjones,

I don't mean to beat Colin to the reply here, but I thought I'd help out...

The following function will force garbage collection and return the amount of free RAM:
int freemem = Debug.GC(true);

Chris

#8 NeonMika / Markus VV.

NeonMika / Markus VV.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationUpper Austria

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

The following function will force garbage collection and return the amount of free RAM:

int freemem = Debug.GC(true);

Nice, didn't know that :)

@samjones: If you are interested in GET/POST methods to/from Netduino, have a look at my Webserver (look at my signature) or at Stephans HTTP Client http://forums.netdui...0244#entry20244...

I think you can get good ideas by looking at these projects =)

Greets, Markus

NeonMika.Webserver
> Control your N+ and write webservice methods easyily
> Receive data from you N+ (in XML or JSON)
> Browse the SD on your N+ directly in the browser and d
own - and upload files

If you need help with NeonMika.Webserver, please just leave a note in the thread and/or contact me via Skype :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- Mistakes teach you important lessons. Every time you make one, you are one step closer to your goal. ----
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.