More GoBus news: DIP chips for STM8S modules - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

More GoBus news: DIP chips for STM8S modules

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:17 AM

To develop GoBus modules today, most tinkerers use a surface-mount STM8S chip soldered onto a DIP adapter.

We thought it was important to get a DIP version of the STM8S chip. We worked with ST and our distribution partners, and I'm happy to announce that we'll have a solution for this soon.

In about 8 weeks, we'll be receiving a large box of ST STM8S105K4B6 chips. This is a higher-end chip than the STM8S we use on most of the GoBus modules, but it's great for prototyping and for hand-built GoBus modules.

You will have at least two options to get these chips:
1. Arrow is offering them for purchase for $1.45 each (quantity of 16). Wait time is 12 weeks.
2. We will have these available in 5-packs for $12.95. [In stock, starting in October. We bought a lot of them.]

Alongside the new chips, we are also working on firmware for them which lets you expose their pins as virtual IO with simple software settings. Plug one into a breadboard along with Add a few capacitors and a Komodex GoBus breakout module...and you can easily add IOs and features to your Netduino Go. Or design a module to share with friends. It should be pretty slick.

We received 10 of these today, which we'll be using to get the firmware ready. I've attached a photo. We'll also make it really easy to move from these to SMD chips for inexpensive production modules.

Chris

UPDATE: these chips are SDIP (Shrink DIP) chips, with 0.07" pitch pins. These will be good for through-hole soldering on custom PCBs, but they require an adapter to use on a standard 0.1" pitch breadboard. For prototyping we recommend using a surface-mount STM8S chip on a DIP adapter.

Attached Files

Edited by Chris Walker, 24 November 2012 - 03:01 AM.
SDIP update

#2 Matt Isenhower

Matt Isenhower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

Plug one into a breadboard along with a few capacitors and a Komodex GoBus breakout module...and you can easily add IOs and features to your Netduino Go. Or design a module to share with friends. It should be pretty slick.

Quick update regarding the GoBus Breakout Module, I should have some more of these in stock within the next few weeks. I'll post an update in the forums when it's available again :)
Komodex Labs
Follow me on Twitter: @mattisenhower

#3 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

Alongside the new chips, we are also working on firmware for them which lets you expose their pins as virtual IO with simple software settings.

Any news on delivery of the firmware?

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:57 AM

Hi Mark,

Any news on delivery of the firmware?

We're working on the STM32 firmware right now, but will be back onto the STM8S firmware soon.

The goal is to start sharing standard firmware for both STM32 and STM8S this autumn...so we're moving quickly to make that happen.

Chris

#5 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Is this same SOIC STM8S105K4B6 on button module?

#6 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Is this same SOIC STM8S105K4B6 on button module?

Nope, the button module doesn't have an STM8 on it, it has a 74HC589 on it. Which is also available in DIP I believe (or at least, I got a few in DIP)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#7 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Nope, the button module doesn't have an STM8 on it, it has a 74HC589 on it. Which is also available in DIP I believe (or at least, I got a few in DIP)

Thank you, stefan

#8 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Sweet will have to get myself a few of those :D Nak.

#9 Anthony Glenwright

Anthony Glenwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Will we be ordering the STM8S105K4B6 5-packs direct from Secret Labs, or through the regular distributors? Also: Do you have any plans to do something similar for a through-hole version of the 10 pin 1.27mm IDC sockets (http://au.mouser.com...kTNcJ8wnslDRg==)? Mouser has them but you have to buy 990 at once :-)

#10 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

Will we be ordering the STM8S105K4B6 5-packs direct from Secret Labs, or through the regular distributors?

Also: Do you have any plans to do something similar for a through-hole version of the 10 pin 1.27mm IDC sockets (http://au.mouser.com...kTNcJ8wnslDRg==)? Mouser has them but you have to buy 990 at once :-)

Depends how many you wanted, but i managed to get a few as free samples from samtec, so icould prototype some modules. You need to use the part builder on the site to build this code SHF-105-01-L-D-TH

Nak.

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi Anthony,

Will we be ordering the STM8S105K4B6 5-packs direct from Secret Labs, or through the regular distributors?

You can order them through Amazon and through select Netduino Authorized Resellers. Once they are available, please reach out to your favorite reseller.

Also: Do you have any plans to do something similar for a through-hole version of the 10 pin 1.27mm IDC sockets (http://au.mouser.com...kTNcJ8wnslDRg==)? Mouser has them but you have to buy 990 at once :-)

We were saving that surprise for today :) Hot off the press... GoPort IDC Headers (through hole) announcement. Also available through your favorite Netduino Authorized Reseller in about 6 weeks.

Chris

#12 Anthony Glenwright

Anthony Glenwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

That's good news, thanks. FYI amazon won't ship anything netduino to me in Australia, and our local distributor seems to work with sparkfun who aren't stocking netduino go or the modules yet. I'll go with nwazet for now but was wondering if we can expect sparkfun to start selling nd-go and modules any time soon? (I don't mind buying overseas but it means I have to wait about 3 weeks every time)

#13 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hi Anthony, you have PM.

#14 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

I also hope that Nwazet is going to stock things, they seems to be cheaper on sending stuff to europe, it looks like they have everything so far, except the buzzer.

--
Asbjørn

#15 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

I don't mind buying overseas but it means I have to wait about 3 weeks every time

I feel your pain Anthony. Unfortunately being a little closer to the US doesn't seem to make a huge difference either. Generally it takes a little over 2 weeks for something to arrive here in Canada. And shipping from most US retailers make small orders like this one cost prohibitive at $15 (I dislike buying something that costs less than the shipping for some reason). In any case, I think we really do need to push our local resellers to carry more Netduino stock including the many new accessories.

Steve

#16 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

at my place I don't think we have any who carry electronic stuff anymore, last shop sold everything atleast 10x++ price from mouser etc, but atleast you could pick it up, instead of paying $30 in shipping for nothing. Regardint this dip thing, I bought one from Proto-advantage, exact same as the one in the first picture here: http://blog.mark-stevens.co.uk/?p=664 Ordered 14. sept, they shipped it the 19., and I got it 24.september.. THAT's very fast, considering they ordered item from digikey, soldered it, and shipped it from US to Norway.. And I payd only $6 in shippingcost, and with that I had some stackingheaders etc.. So some companies knows how to do things.. If only others could do the same. Nwazet was also very cheap, $15 for shipping Gomodule+shieldbase, but for some reason, it did take very long time, but that was not Nwazet's fault, usps tracking showed that it was stuck somewhere. (And my customs kept it some days, to calculate %25 extra in taxes.. :( ) But, Secretlabs only sells through amazon?, not sure how well that will turn out for me, so I'm really hoping that protoadvantage (yes, they have lot of netduino stuff) or nwazet stock lot of the stuff that is coming.. please..

--
Asbjørn

#17 Geancarlo2

Geancarlo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

You guys have it way too easy, try being a geek in Brazil :lol:

#18 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

You will have at least two options to get these chips:
1. Arrow is offering them for purchase for $1.45 each (quantity of 16). Wait time is 12 weeks.
2. We will have these available in 5-packs for $12.95. [In stock, starting in October. We bought a lot of them.]

Any news here?
Is this the only place to find out what can be bought?
http://www.amazon.co...=A15S1YSPRYIXOQ

--
Asbjørn

#19 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hi neslekkim,

Any news here?
Is this the only place to find out what can be bought?

These are sold out at the moment. We've ordered more: the next batch should arrive around the end of October.

Here's the direct link for the product page at Amazon:

Chris

#20 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

shit... how did that happen?, I have newer seen that link before, I thought it was you who were going to sell it.. :(

--
Asbjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.