Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

"No valid processor ID" with SAM-BA and RS232

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iukpo

iukpo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:09 AM

I finally got my hands on an RS232 shifter. I am one of the lucky few to still have a serial port on my computer. I tested the RS232 with my serial cable and it works fine: when I short RX to TX and run Termite, I see that everything is fine: I get proper echoes.

I have followed the instructions listed on Stefan's wiki:

http://wiki.netduino...duino-Mini.ashx

Attached is a picture of my current setup, and yes, I have shorted the gold pad near pin 12 with 5V.

Whenever I run SAM-BA to connect via pins 1 and 2, I get "No valid processor ID" found. I tried SAM-BA 2.10 and "AT91-ISP.exe (Windows XP - v1.13 current release)"-same result (actually, Samb-2.10 gives some long error message about I/O, but I am convinced it is just a more verbose way of saying the same thing). I had heard that some others who have SAM-BA 2.11 have had better luck. I have registered with Atmel to get a copy. I have not received anything back yet. I was hoping that the registration was some automated thing, but it looks otherwise: maybe Monday I will get a response and a link to download. >_>

Anyone have any other ideas? I hear that those pins are supposed to be 12V. Am I not supplying enough voltage to those two pins? I am powering the RS232 with 5V.

Attached Files

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi iukpo,

A few thoughts:
  • Can you double-check the voltage that you're providing to the Netduino Mini? Also, make sure that it's connected to the proper pin; it may be the angle but it looks like none of the four power pins on the right are connected in the photo.
  • Use the latest version of SAM-BA. Earlier versions had some troubles with various PCs. The newest version should work better.
  • Some RS232 adapters work well with SAM-BA, and some do not. MFDeploy and Visual Studio seem to work with all of them...but SAM-BA tends to be a bit specific in what it wants to work with. I think there are precise timing issues there.

Please let us know if any of these does or does not help... We want to see your Netduino Mini get reflashed properly and have a chance to play :)

Chris

#3 iukpo

iukpo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thanks again Chris for your reply! :) 1) Can you double-check the voltage that you're providing to the Netduino Mini? Also, make sure that it's connected to the proper pin; it may be the angle but it looks like none of the four power pins on the right are connected in the photo. --I checked by confirming that the 5V out is working...I am getting voltage, so I am presuming that the processor is receiving power. 2) Use the latest version of SAM-BA. Earlier versions had some troubles with various PCs. The newest version should work better. --I got a hold of SAM-BA 2.11. Same result-no processor ID found. 3) Some RS232 adapters work well with SAM-BA, and some do not. MFDeploy and Visual Studio seem to work with all of them...but SAM-BA tends to be a bit specific in what it wants to work with. I think there are precise timing issues there. --I've tried two RS232 connections, one of which is the RS232 SMD Shifter from SparkFun. This is supposedly the one depicted in Stefan's tutorial, which makes this all the more frustrating. I've heard good things about the MAX232, but at this rate, I am really doubtful it will make a difference.

#4 iukpo

iukpo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

Actually, could it be possible that SAM-BA cannot use actual serial ports, only USB/Serial ones?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.