Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Problem installing the new TinyBootloader

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GDSever

GDSever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNewark, DE

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

I was following Stefan's instructions to install the new version of the bootloader in preparation of putting the 4.2.0 framework on my Netduino (so I could start playing in VB), and I've come to an impass. When running SAM-BA 2.10 CDC, it doesn't recognize any COM ports. I thought that might have something to do with the drivers that Windows installed after reconnecting the Netduino - Screenshot is attached below.

Stefan said it should be a virtual COM port - instead I get "atm6124.Sys ATMEL AT91xxxxx test board". What's going on? Is that the reason why SAM-BA does not recognize any virtual COM ports?

Any way you look at it I need help out of this since MFDeploy.exe doesn't even recognize the board anymore, so I can't reload the Netduino firmware until I get this fixed... HELP please?

Attached Files

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hi GDSever, When you get the "atm6124.Sys" device in Device Manager, are the drivers installed properly? It sounds like you may be getting the USB drivers instead of the CDC drivers there... (\USB\ARM0 instead of COM#). Have you tried right-clicking on the device and manually selecting the SAM-BA CDC drivers (browse...)? Or "uninstalling" the drivers and then trying to load them from Windows Update instead? Also, are you running Windows XP, Vista or 7? 32-bit or 64-bit? If you have a copy of Windows XP (or Windows XP Mode on Windows 7), it may be easiest to reflash there instead. Chris

#3 GDSever

GDSever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNewark, DE

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:22 PM

When you get the "atm6124.Sys" device in Device Manager, are the drivers installed properly? It sounds like you may be getting the USB drivers instead of the CDC drivers there... (\USB\ARM0 instead of COM#).

No, I didn't do this - I let Windows automatically select the drivers. Which drivers should I point it to?

Have you tried right-clicking on the device and manually selecting the SAM-BA CDC drivers (browse...)? Or "uninstalling" the drivers and then trying to load them from Windows Update instead?

Again, I'll see if I can point it at a different set of drivers - I just need to know which ones are the right ones.

Also, are you running Windows XP, Vista or 7? 32-bit or 64-bit? If you have a copy of Windows XP (or Windows XP Mode on Windows 7), it may be easiest to reflash there instead.

I'm using Windows XP, 32 bit.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Hi GDSever, Try the drivers in: C:\Program Files (x86)\ATMEL Corporation\AT91-ISP v1.13\sam-ba 2.9\drv [You probably have a newer version of the AT91 drivers. Use the newer ones.] Also, I believe that the 2.10 CDC version may be meant for Vista/Win7. You may want the non-CDC version for Windows XP (if it still exists). I can get you a copy of 2.09 if all else fails. Chris

#5 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Downloadlink for 2.9: http://www.atmel.com...dc_xp_vista.zip Although the 2.10 should also work on Windows XP according to it's description, you'll never know :)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#6 GDSever

GDSever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNewark, DE

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

I tried the SAM-BA 2.9 drivers with the same results - when I boot up the application, it doesn't detect anything on the COM ports - Do I need to have FTDI drivers or something? I am using the Micro USB cable to connect - am I doing something wrong? I am attaching a couple screenshots - one is what the hardware profile says is installed when the Netduino is connected, the other is what the SAM-BA application looks like when I boot up. The dropdown list is blank / doesn't come up with anything at all. Am I supposed to manually type in the COM port #?

Attached Files

#7 GDSever

GDSever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNewark, DE

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

OK - I uninstalled and reinstalled a few more times, hit the gold pad with 3.3V, and a bunch of other gymnastics - and I finally got the SAM-BA (v2.10, not v2.9) application to see the Netduino board. I've got the TinyBooterDecompresser.bin and everything else all re-flashed, and I think I'm good to go. Not sure what the original problem was, but everything seems to be functional now - so time to play! Thanks for the help guys.

#8 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

good to hear it's solved. I'm still curious to what's the problem though. Too bad we can't find it out now :)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

Downloadlink for 2.9: http://www.atmel.com...dc_xp_vista.zip

I believe that's the 2.9 "CDC" version. I wonder if we can find a link to the 2.9 "USB, non-CDC" version still.

Hmm, we should set up a Wiki article on flashing using SAM-BA...with a breakoff for Windows XP vs. Vista vs. 7... Maybe I can get permission from Atmel to post the 2.9 SAM-BA version as well...

Chris

#10 Bainesbunch

Bainesbunch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hello Folks, I have a problem I can not seem to resolve and I have had a look about the forums for a solution but have not found one. My problem is that I am trying to update my Hardware using the files to be found in Firmware_Netduino_4.2.0.0_RC3.ZIP I have reset my Netduino withe the 3.3v to the pad and then used sam-ba to re-flash the TinyBooterDecompressor.bin I can only presume that it work because I don't get any error messages. I then turn of and disconnect my Netduino and fire up MFDeploy. When I ping my device I just get the message "Pinging... TinyBooter" and nothing else I then try to deploy the firmware but get the deployment progress box with the following message in it "Error: C:\Application Install Images\Netduino\Firmware_Netduino_4.2.0.0_RC3\tinyclr.hex\ER_FLASH.sig" I have been through the hoops a few times now but nothing seems to work. I have both the white and blue LED on all the time on my device. I am running windows XP pro 2002 sp3. My Netduino is a standard not the plus or the mini. Please any help would be great or a pointer to the tinybooter that was on it before so I can at least roll back. Cheers Pete. <Update> Ok I have tracked this down to an issue with FLASH image, the CONFIG image loads into the device OK. I can roll back to 4.1 with no issues. Can anyone shed light on this for me please. </Update>
I was going to change the world, then I discovered Netduino.
The world will have to wait.

#11 Emranme

Emranme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Do you have any components (mice / keyboard / etc) connected to the USB3 ports currently? If you do, move them.

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hi Bainesbunch, You can safely ignore the "no SIG" file message from MFDeploy. That pops up because the files are not signed (since they're open source, there's no need to lock anything down). After deployment, are you unable to ping TinyCLR? If not, it may be an issue in the .NET MF 4.2 beta firmware. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.