Balancing scooter project - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Balancing scooter project

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

So, I have been thinking about doing a balancing scooter/robot project for a while now, and I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any experience with these things. At least for right now, I don't want to carry people, but I do want something that can carry somewhere around 10-15lbs, since I figure that's a good weight for my laptop as well as some other stuff. Questions: * What motors to use? I'd like to stay as far away from brushed motors as I possibly can, and I'm not really sure stepper motors will work for this. If I use a hobby brushless setup, I need to then worry about cogging at low speeds. That sortof leaves my last choice as a hobby RC car sensored brushless setup. * What wheels to use? I'd kinda like it to be a bit rugged, be able to go over grass and such. * Weight distribution? It seems like I have seen two ideals on this, one where there is a lot of weight at the top of scooter and one where there is a lot of weight at the bottom. Any input on this? As for the base, I was just gonna made a flat platform out of PVC and mount the motors on that. I'd like to avoid gear/chain drivetrains as much as possible. as I have limited MechE resources (though I do have a CNC and full workshop occasionally provided by a friend), I'd like to keep the mechanical part of this as simple as possible. The control theory part is easy, no questions about that at all.

#2 Adam Clifford

Adam Clifford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:24 AM

Hi Chris, Saw this and thought you might like http://stuffandymake...e-geared-motor/ Adam

#3 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, I've seen stuff like that, but the issue with servos is that they're far to slow to make for a very stable balance.

#4 Quiche31

Quiche31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Chris, are you aware of Chris Khrohne's ElektorWheelie project? It's pretty much an open-source Segway.

For starters, it uses two 500W/24V DC motors, PWM-driven via two MOFFSETs H-Bridges. But you have all required information, mechanics, electronics and firwmare, here. I known that this one carries more than what you'd like, but nevertheless could be a source of inspiration for you.

JP

#5 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

Chris, are you aware of Chris Khrohne's ElektorWheelie project? It's pretty much an open-source Segway.

It looks similar to Trevor Blackwell's Balancing scooter, one of the best DIY segways I've seen. Regarding the weight distribution, I think I read a paper from a university class where students made various versions of scooters and control algorithms, including the analysis and simulation, and the former one (center of mass 'at the top' = inverted pendulum) was much better for control. Unfortunately, I cannot find it now...

#6 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hi Chris,

Did you ever work in this project? How's is it going?

I always wanted to build my own, so I got the book below:

[*]Arduino Robotics
    [*]

By: John-David Warren; Josh Adams; Harald Molle

[/list]

Chapter 11. The Seg-Bot

Now, this is a full size seg-way that you can build yourself for about $429.

I need to order the motors and wheels, once I have them, I will finally start building it but instead of the Arduino I will be using an NGo of course.

Do you want to join forces?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.