Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD - Page 2 - Netduino 3 - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:56 AM

What was that shiny new Netduino hardware seen in the keynote?It's not officially announced quite yet

Sorry to spoil the surprise. I blame Hanselman. I am at BUILD this year.

Attached Files

#22 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:06 AM

Hi neslekkim,

Ah, leaving the pins, so one can add some bodgewires is ok, I think on the Go it wasn't so?
Also noted that VBAT is connected to VDD, so that means as long as the board is connected to power, the RTC should be fine then?

If you really want to hack it, you could certainly wire up an RTC crystal (and caps) directly to the MCU pins... But I wouldn't recommend that for the less-brave-at-heart. And yes, you could deliver power via battery--but you're really not gaining much unless the MCU is in sleep mode. [You can already keep pretty accurate time just running off of power.]

Does it exists better hires pictures of the board?, front and backside?

We can take some more photos. There are also some blog posts out there already from folks who already have a Netduino 3 Wi-Fi in hand (or photographed one from the lab at BUILD).

And there is no jtag connector?, to connect stlink or something?

Oh yes, one of the details I couldn't fit in the announcement: there are SMD pads for a MiniJTAG header on the back. That's a new standard feature, and is how we debug the boards' firmware ourselves. By putting it on the back, we were able to bring back the ICSP headers for compatibility with even more Arduino shields.

Chris

#23 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:08 AM

Hi Valkyrie-MT,

No worries. It's fitting that the guy who helped inspire the new hardware helped spoiled the surprise :)

Did you happen to get any photos of the Netduino 3 Wi-Fi lab from BUILD? [With the new NETMF APIs, weather shield, and Azure connect the dots?]

Chris

#24 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

If you really want to hack it, you could certainly wire up an RTC crystal (and caps) directly to the MCU pins... But I wouldn't recommend that for the less-brave-at-heart. And yes, you could deliver power via battery--but you're really not gaining much unless the MCU is in sleep mode. [You can already keep pretty accurate time just running off of power.]

The reason for RTC is that it gives interresting possibilites for wakeup, one can make the mcu wakeup on given times/dates.

Oh yes, one of the details I couldn't fit in the announcement: there are SMD pads for a MiniJTAG header on the back. That's a new standard feature, and is how we debug the boards' firmware ourselves. By putting it on the back, we were able to bring back the ICSP headers for compatibility with even more Arduino shields.

Take a look at TagConnect next time, then one don't need to solder an connector, just press an connector with pogopins.

--
Asbjørn

#25 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:40 AM

And what about MakerShed? I can't recall how Microcenter obtained both of the earlier versions that I selected, but that's where I bought them.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#26 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:00 AM

Hi Dr Who,

And what about MakerShed? I can't recall how Microcenter obtained both of the earlier versions that I selected, but that's where I bought them.

More resellers, both US-based and international, will be coming online this month :)

If you have a favorite Netduino reseller, please let us and them know you'd like to get your new Netduino from them.

Chris

#27 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

If you have a favorite Netduino reseller, please let us and them know you'd like to get your new Netduino from them.

Anyone that can ship with reasonable prices to Europe. I kinda prefer to buy from Adafruit or Proto-Advantage since they have reasonable prices and shipping costs, compared to European resellers.

--
Asbjørn

#28 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAnne Arundel County, MD

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:14 AM

I supplied the images for the demo app Jon wrote :)

Pete Brown - http://10rem.net (NETMF, C++, Windows, C64, and general geekery) Twitter: @pete_brown
I work for Microsoft. Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer,our partners or customers.

#29 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:58 AM

Hey Pete,

I supplied the images for the demo app Jon wrote :)

It was great to see the NETMF side of Microsoft IoT represented at //build/--including in the keynote.

We'll "blame" you for the demo app images--in a "let's everyone virtually hug Pete brown" kind of way :)

Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support!

Chris

#30 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:00 AM

Hey neslekkim,

Anyone that can ship with reasonable prices to Europe. I kinda prefer to buy from Adafruit or Proto-Advantage since they have reasonable prices and shipping costs, compared to European resellers.

At least one of those resellers will have stock this week, with a little luck.

Amazon.com has been having some stock shortages, but we are fulfilling inventory out of at least five warehouses--so that is hopefully clearing up quickly. And we should have inventory at Amazon.ca and Amazon.co.uk soon too.

Chris

#31 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAnne Arundel County, MD

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:18 AM

Hey Pete,

It was great to see the NETMF side of Microsoft IoT represented at //build/--including in the keynote.

We'll "blame" you for the demo app images--in a "let's everyone virtually hug Pete brown" kind of way :)

Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support!

Chris

:)

You couldn't see it, but the robot that Colin controlled with his phone in the maker video, runs a Netduino board. I don't recall what version.

The maker video will be up soon (we couldn't upload it yesterday because someone else ripped it from the stream, and YouTube is saying our official one is a duplicate. We'll take care of that tomorrow.). In that video, colin also made some specific statements about where NETMF fits into the bigger picture.

Steve also had NETMF photos in his maker session, including Gadgeteer and Netduino 3.

Pete

Pete Brown - http://10rem.net (NETMF, C++, Windows, C64, and general geekery) Twitter: @pete_brown
I work for Microsoft. Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer,our partners or customers.

#32 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hi Dr Who,
More resellers, both US-based and international, will be coming online this month :)

Chris

Hello!

I just did in that one. Micro Center for direct sales, and online being Adafruit (Not that I buy my Netduino gadgetry from them) , I use them for the strange stuff that the stores are slow to sell direct. And finally MakerShed.

So there you go.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#33 dx9s

dx9s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

I've been sedentary on the Netduino front .. I like my original model but haven't really done anything with it. I hopped on the website and saw the model 3 (w/ WiFi) and purchased it from Amazon (should get this friday, three painfully LONG days away). I am eager to see how the WiFi works.

Is it possible to control the WiFi client settings realtime from the C# code? Or is it something that is configured while updating the code? I'd like to see the ability to have an SD card with application settings (for the project I have in mind) that also include WiFi settings and then at boot time, have the SD card read and WiFi configured/connected.

Lastly, it would be nice to have Adhoc or WiFi AP mode, but I am 99.9% the WiFi was a "near" direct replacement of the Ethernet hardware for (WiFi) client purposes only.. Not a BIG deal, just be cool in my opinion.

I look forward to tinkering and getting back into embedded hardware after a 2+ year (almost 3) hiatus.

--Doug

#34 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:13 PM

Hey Doug, welcome back!

Is it possible to control the WiFi client settings realtime from the C# code? Or is it something that is configured while updating the code? I'd like to see the ability to have an SD card with application settings (for the project I have in mind) that also include WiFi settings and then at boot time, have the SD card read and WiFi configured/connected.

Right now you need to configure your AP settings using MFDeploy. We have had a few requests to enable changing the SSID, passphrase, etc. from C# code--and are working on a short-term solution to enable that for you guys :)

[With NETMF 4.4 and beyond, we are trying to deprecate a lot of the older SPOT code and so we're a bit hesitant to implement a Microsoft.SPOT.Net namespace-based solution...but I want to make sure that our community members can accomplish their project goals.]

Lastly, it would be nice to have Adhoc or WiFi AP mode, but I am 99.9% the WiFi was a "near" direct replacement of the Ethernet hardware for (WiFi) client purposes only.. Not a BIG deal, just be cool in my opinion.

The CC3100 chip does have the ability to serve as an access point for one device. That's not implemented today--but could be added in the future. I agree that that would be cool. [I have a feeling that we need a UserVoice-like site to vote on new feature requests.]

Chris

P.S. Netduino 3 Wi-Fi uses the new hybrid Netduino.IP stack--which is a managed code stack. So if you want an extra weekend project you can actually implement things like the change to AP mode by modifying the core code. Source code is at https://github.com/n...nkLayers.CC3100

#35 dx9s

dx9s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

Hah.. fast turn around on the question... Nice.. it can have AP support.. SLICK!

I was looking at the schematic: http://www.netduino....i_schematic.pdfand wondering why there is a ground on both sides of the antenna? (J13 AH316M245001-T -- in particular PIN 1 of J13) . I need to look up the DS on that to see their reference implementation and that will probably answer my question.

As for deprecating older "SPOT" code, since I haven't written any code against that (not even sure how too), it won't hurt me -- but I don't want to speak for the community that depends on that code/API and get them angry at me for pushing newer functionality at the cost of existing working code. I guess having the ability to switch between NETMF 4.3 and 4.4+ will be an issue for some.

#36 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Hi Doug,

I was looking at the schematic: http://www.netduino....i_schematic.pdfand wondering why there is a ground on both sides of the antenna? (J13 AH316M245001-T -- in particular PIN 1 of J13) . I need to look up the DS on that to see their reference implementation and that will probably answer my question.

The antenna is actually two parts: the chip you see and the part of the chip that extends to the ground plane (surrounding by PCB stapling). The antenna feed signal is technically connected to the part of the antenna which is part of the PCB.

As for deprecating older "SPOT" code, since I haven't written any code against that (not even sure how too), it won't hurt me -- but I don't want to speak for the community that depends on that code/API and get them angry at me for pushing newer functionality at the cost of existing working code. I guess having the ability to switch between NETMF 4.3 and 4.4+ will be an issue for some.

Code reuse and code compatibility is an extremely high priority for us. So while we'll be supporting use of the new Universal API-derived APIs you will not need to rewrite your code.

Chris

#37 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

Was the Netduino 3 Ethernet supposed to be available now?

--
Asbjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.