Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Optimal interface (with snubber) for a 4 ohm telegraph sounder?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 remotewizard

remotewizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

I'm finally taking Morse Code classes, trying to learn my dits and dahs.  So I naturally poked around the various Morse projects in the forums.  But now I have a more nuts-and-bolts kind of question.

I purchased a nifty antique telegraph sounder (basically a relay, when the clicking and clunking represents Morse dits and dahs).  There are several projects online to interface such a sounder with a *duino or a Raspberry Pi (such as http://sigalonhowtod...since=318825083).  What I'm looking for is the best design that will protect both my Netduino and my antique sounder.

The sounder has a 4-ohm coil, and (according to http://www.morsetele....org/wirechief/) was designed to run off an approximately one volt 'Gravity Cell.'  The same article suggests running the sounder off a D-cell battery (current draw estimated at 200 mA).

As I said, there's a lot of suggestions online for how to connect the sounder.  Most use a simple transistor to switch a 5 volt power supply to energize the sounder's coil.  This seems a bit high to me, but since the sounder is built like a concrete bulldozer, I could risk it.

More to the point, what kind of snubbing configuration would you recommend to protect the Netduino from induced EMF.  Most folks seem to use a simple diode in parallel with the coil (which would shunt the induced current safely to ground).  Some add an LC circuit; a few suggest replacing the simple snubber diode with two Zeners (diodes wired in series, cathode-to-cathode, then attached in parallel with the coil).

Since I don't want to damage my sounder unnecessarily, and it's pretty much equivalent to a big low-voltage relay, I figured I'd ask the experts for the optimal solution.

Sorry to be so long-winded!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.