What extra features would you like in the XBee GoModule? - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

What extra features would you like in the XBee GoModule?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

We're currently working on the spec for our new XBee GoModule. We'd like to enable a wide variety of scenarios using both traditional XBee modules and other "XBee form factor" devices. The module is powered by an STM8S micro using GoBus 1.5. It adds a wireless SerialPort to your Netduino Go (with flow control--important for XBee) along with an OutputPort behind the scenes to control the /RESET line. Of course XBee modules also have a series of digital, analog, and function (sleep, etc.) pins--in addition to the serial pins. Since the STM8S has a few unused pins...are there use case scenarios where connecting to additional XBee pins provides some extra value for your projects? If so, which pins in particular are the most interesting? Also to remember: there are several modules which can plug into an XBee slot (Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.) and these may use the pins for other special features such as pairing. Right now we're planning to connect pins RX, TX, RTS, CTS, and /RESET. What other things would you like to see in an XBee GoModule? Any other XBee GoModule thoughts are welcome as well. Thank you for your feedback, Chris

#2 ErikN

ErikN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:16 AM

I haven't worked with them but if the modules do have the ability to be put into a sleep mode, exposing the ability to control that would seem pretty useful. I'd think waking up to do a status burst every so often would be a common scenario.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hi Erik,

I haven't worked with them but if the modules do have the ability to be put into a sleep mode, exposing the ability to control that would seem pretty useful. I'd think waking up to do a status burst every so often would be a common scenario.

Good feedback.

Now, so far we have:
UART (TX, RX, RTS/CTS)
DTR (for reflashing)
SLEEP/ON
/RESET

Anything else?

Chris

#4 Anthony Glenwright

Anthony Glenwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

How about an LED for the associate pin (pin 15) and a pushbutton for the commissioning pin (20) - or at least some holes in the PCB so that we can add those if required. I only know about the Digi xbee modules, so apologies if this doesnt make sense for other brands of xbee modules.

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

How about an LED for the associate pin (pin 15) and a pushbutton for the commissioning pin (20) - or at least some holes in the PCB so that we can add those if required. I only know about the Digi xbee modules, so apologies if this doesnt make sense for other brands of xbee modules.

Also great ideas. We can use the pushbutton on Netduino Go (or any other Button on the gobus) as a software commissioning pin, so we should definitely hook up the commissioning/linking feature to the STM8S.

We're thinking of putting an ACT LED on the module, so perhaps we could have it serve double-duty as an ASSOCIATE LED. We'll have to work through the use case scenarios on that.

Thanks for the input. Please keep it coming!

Chris

#6 Anthony Glenwright

Anthony Glenwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

>> We can use the pushbutton on Netduino Go (or any other Button on the gobus) as a software commissioning pin Are you thinking along the lines of sending an XBEE AT "CB" command to emulate the software commissioning pushbutton? Or using an output pin from the STM8S to control pin 20 on the XBEE? If you were using the software method, I would just leave that out of the firmware/driver and let people code it themselves, based on whether they are using transparent or API mode.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hi Anthony,

>> We can use the pushbutton on Netduino Go (or any other Button on the gobus) as a software commissioning pin
Are you thinking along the lines of sending an XBEE AT "CB" command to emulate the software commissioning pushbutton? Or using an output pin from the STM8S to control pin 20 on the XBEE? If you were using the software method, I would just leave that out of the firmware/driver and let people code it themselves, based on whether they are using transparent or API mode.

Good thinking. We can actually support both methods. How about we connect pin 20 of the XBee to a pin on the STM8S (which will then become a virtual pin) and also enable the user to manually leverage the AT command set?

Our goal is to create a simple yet flexible module so that users can simply plug it in and use it as a wireless SerialPort--while still exposing some of the more raw advanced features of XBee (for users who want to take advantage of all XBee has to offer).

The STM8S itself will use pure GoBus Virtual I/O to expose a serial port and a number of IOs to the mainboard. It'll handle the ACT LED, but that's about it. We can abstract away some of the XBee usage model on the mainboard...or simply leave that up to the user.

What types of XBee (or XBee-form-factor) modules do you envision using with your XBee GoModule?

Chris

#8 Anthony Glenwright

Anthony Glenwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

How about we connect pin 20 of the XBee to a pin on the STM8S (which will then become a virtual pin) and also enable the user to manually leverage the AT command set?

That sounds like the best plan to me.

What types of XBee (or XBee-form-factor) modules do you envision using with your XBee GoModule?

I'm using Digi Series 2 with the Zigbee firmware.

#9 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

Chris

I am currently using Xbee Series 1 but I plan on trying RN-XV WiFly in the near future. Perhaps the Netduino Go would be a perfect opportunity to do so :)

I think DFRRobot and Seeed Studio also have a Bluetooth Bee that uses the Xbee form factor that could be very useful.

Steve

#10 Graeme

Graeme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

A nice to have would be a LED for the RSSI PWM on pin 6.

#11 Livercool

Livercool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Hello, how far are you from completing this module? I'm already using zigbee in a project with arduino based hardware, but I'd be very keen to try netduino go instead.

#12 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hi Chris, any update on this module?

#13 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hi Chris, any updates when this Xbee module would be available?

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hi Guiliano, The XBee module is second in line behind the STM32F0-powered modules (Ethernet, Gadgeteer Adapter). We're focused on the STM32 firmware right now, and then we can build out a bunch of smaller STM8S-based modules (including the XBee Adapter module). Thank you, Chris

#15 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

That's great news, I am looking forward on getting one, hopefully I don't have to wait too long :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.