Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

(Dis)Connecting while running, Restarting, Shutting Down

reset shut down connect

Best Answer Chris Walker, 10 May 2015 - 09:50 PM

Hi tridy.net,

Regarding shutdown of the Netduino: unlike a desktop OS, there's no need to "shut down" NETMF. Just be sure not to leave files in an invalid state on your SD card (i.e. flush after writing).

For connecting/disconnecting shields and other components: unfortunately I personally plug and unplug things from my Netduino all the time while it's running...but that's not exactly best practice.

GoBus doesn't support hot-plug; we typically recommend that you plug/unplug modules with the board turned off.

Chris Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tridy

tridy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

I was wondering if there is any danger in disconnecting (or connecting) a GoBus (or any external board) from Netduino while it's running? For the case when I need to attach a board, do I need to unplug Netduino from power first, plug in the board and then plug the power back into Netduino? Or will connect and button restart work?

Is there such thing as "safe" reset, shutdown? Maybe a deployment tool has some "close and shutdown" command? Are there any cases that could potentially damage Netduino and should be avoided?

Thanks.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:50 PM   Best Answer

Hi tridy.net,

Regarding shutdown of the Netduino: unlike a desktop OS, there's no need to "shut down" NETMF. Just be sure not to leave files in an invalid state on your SD card (i.e. flush after writing).

For connecting/disconnecting shields and other components: unfortunately I personally plug and unplug things from my Netduino all the time while it's running...but that's not exactly best practice.

GoBus doesn't support hot-plug; we typically recommend that you plug/unplug modules with the board turned off.

Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reset, shut down, connect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.