Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Edward's Content

There have been 35 items by Edward (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#12479 More RAM

Posted by Edward on 25 April 2011 - 11:17 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Kudos to KodeDaemon for doubling the available RAM on the plus. And it made me wonder, RAM feels like it's the main constraint on the NetDuino platform, is there any way of expanding it? I know RAM almost always ends up being a key constraint on embeded devices - and for me that's part of the fun - but is the on-chip stuff (512K) a hard limit? I know you can get little-bitty (8K) SPI chips but I'm thinking of an extra 512K; preferably at the full speed of the on-chip RAM. A possible future Netduino variant? Edward

#14581 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 22 June 2011 - 10:08 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I tried the v4.2 firmware briefly. Had big problems working with SD card (256MB) on the Plus. Seemed like it would only work with files in the root directory. Trying to access anything in a sub-directory (eg, GetFiles) would throw a NotSupported exception. Same code working fine in the 4.1 beta so rolled back to that for now.

#14610 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 22 June 2011 - 10:10 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Thanks for trying to replicate. I'll install the firmware here again and retry.. Card is a 128MB SanDisk (dug out from the back of a dusty drawer, came with an old phone) Formatted as FAT32/2048 by Win7 - files were written by Win7. Path \\SD\www.

#14643 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 23 June 2011 - 09:49 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I reinstlled everything, reflashed everything and reformatted the card. And all is working fine now. Thanks for taking the time to run those tests it gave me the confidence to give 4.2 another try. Hopefully my next feedback will be more worthwhile!

#14645 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 23 June 2011 - 10:04 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Spoke to soon. The problem seems to be a power cycling one. If the netduino is powered up with the card in the slot then the exception is thrown. If I take the card out and re-insert it with the power kept on then the progtam will run. So is the problem that the card isn't being mounted at power on only on insertion?

#14698 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 24 June 2011 - 09:19 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

The code is:

using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Net;
using System.Net.Sockets;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.IO;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.IO;

namespace SD_Card_test
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {
           var fs= Directory.GetFiles(@"SD");
        }

}
}

and the exception is:
A first chance exception of type 'System.NotSupportedException' occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.IO.dll
An unhandled exception of type 'System.NotSupportedException' occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.IO.dll

By the way, remember, beta software can always contain a few flaws, it's a risk using Beta firmware.
appairently you found a flaw

yup - trying to help find them and fix them!

#14861 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 28 June 2011 - 09:35 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Thanks all for the various helpful suggestions but no change for any of them. I'm awaiting delivery of some 2GB cards to compare results against. Will update again as soon as I get my hands on them.

#14966 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 03 July 2011 - 10:07 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

My 2GB SD cards arrived but only hours before going on vacation. A quick test suggested that they do >not< exhibit the access problems described abover for the 128MB card. One question; clarification about what is in and what in not included in the 4.2 B1 release - is the tuning down of buffer sizes and counts for SD card FAT file access to alleviate memory allocation problems included in this firmware?

#15033 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 05 July 2011 - 10:13 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

We build the tuning down of buffer sizes into the v4.1.0.0 firmware, and it's now included in the v4.2 firmware as well.

What is the FAT file access count memory issue? If that has been changed in the 4.2 codebase, it's included as well.

The GC bugfixes are included for sure.

We'll be posting v4.2 beta 2 later this weekend, now with "WithEvents" support for VB programmers.

Chris

Not FAT file access count - in a previous thread (that I can't now find) relating to out of memory issues you'd said you were going to reduce both the number and size of buffers allocated by the FAT file system. You also said in that thread you were going to change the wording of the GC message "Failed to allocate..." to clarify that it was a compaction trigger rather than an out of memory situation. The old wording remains so I wondered if the memory tuning got done and whether all this is in 4.2.

Thanks for clearsing this up.

Edward

#15549 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 16 July 2011 - 02:27 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I agree, but I'm not an expert of things and like we say in Dutch: "van 't kastje naar de muur". Litteraly: "from the cupboard to the wall" but loosly translated being bounced around.
So perhaps you could reply on that issue, or take some other actions? If you need me to test anything, you know how to contact me ;)

The hang on deployment and the following BSOD on disconnect or reset is driving me crazy; makes serious development an absolute pain. It's happening to me on about 50% of deployments. Is there any known workaround? Is the 4.1 driver better than the 4.2? Is it happening only to a few people or everybody? Only 4 votes on codeplex. I'm using Win7 64bit and VS2010 Pro.

Edward

#16343 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 04 August 2011 - 11:52 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I had it happen a couple times yesterday after going to 4.2 as well.

I just spotted that this issue despite a high vote count was closed on Codeplex this Monday by "lorenzte" with no explanation. Outrageous.

Seriously considering an alternative platform for my product development as NETMF is proving too painful and unproductive at the moment. I had high hopes for it.

:-/

#16400 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Edward on 06 August 2011 - 08:53 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

No problem, I'll do that, already have the debugger installed. By the way, yes I too have had the crashes where there is no bluescreen just straight to BIOS.

#16739 Update:UDP Broadcast Send/Receive fixed for next release

Posted by Edward on 15 August 2011 - 02:59 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I've reproduced this too while porting the framework for xAP home automation to the N+. So lookes like the define set to 1 enables a filter that stops broadcasts. FYI broadcast tx and rx do work on the address 255.255.255.255 but not the local subnet broadcast eg 192.168.1.255. No xAP without broadcast. Vote added. What I'm not clear on is if this is an issue for the MF team or Secret Labs. Not quite worked out where that division of responsibility falls.

#16746 Update:UDP Broadcast Send/Receive fixed for next release

Posted by Edward on 15 August 2011 - 07:34 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

High five!

#16774 Deployment sizes

Posted by Edward on 16 August 2011 - 10:57 PM in Visual Studio

I know there have been various threads on "how big is my program?" but I don't think there is a good, clear explanation here or on the Wiki yet. I'm banging my head on the ceiling for code size at the moment. I've learned that when an application is too big to deploy all you get from VS is the error "An error has occurred. Please check your hardware" and that a little more information is shown in the output from 'Micro Framework Device Deployment' e.g.: Incrementally deploying assemblies to device Deploying assemblies for a total size of 141280 bytes Assemblies not successfully deployed to device. Deployment to the device was not successful. And I understand that 141280 is much bigger than the N+ can handle (which I assume to be 65536). In helping me get to finding what assemblies are causing such application bloat, I'm looking at the start of the debug output of a successful delpoy which appears to contain details of per assembly sizes but I don't understand how these relate to the physical constraints of the target device. For example: Attaching deployed file. Assembly: xFxMF (1.0.0.0) (2644 RAM - 31216 ROM - 11306 METADATA) Attaching deployed file. Assembly: HTTP (1.0.0.0) (2152 RAM - 26640 ROM - 8930 METADATA) Resolving. Total: (16536 RAM - 159476 ROM - 73739 METADATA) What do the figures for RAM, ROM and METADATA mean? Can they help me to trim my oversize application down?

#16776 So how does the SD card stuff work anyway?

Posted by Edward on 16 August 2011 - 11:08 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Can you post a link to some info on the VB1053 please. I tried googling it but didn't find any relevant results.

#16828 Is there a good way to tell if you are connected to a network?

Posted by Edward on 18 August 2011 - 10:42 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Are you using DHCP? Perhaps you can query the current IP address?

Also, they may be network "connect" and "disconnect" events. Worth a look...

Chris

In the desktop version of the framework there is NetworkInterface.GetIsNetworkAvailable Method which I'm finding difficult to do without.

It seems odd in MF to have envent that indicate a change in network availability but no property to indicate the current state. Is this an omission in MF or something (presumably hardware specific) that should be provided by a SecretLabs library function.

#16840 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 19 August 2011 - 10:58 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Got the driver loaded. Testing...

#16853 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 19 August 2011 - 10:41 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Nope, sorry, just got the same BSOD. cc'd CodePlex.

#16856 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 20 August 2011 - 12:50 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Feels so like a memory/resource leak. After fresh boot deplyment is fast, responsive etc. Then after a few deploy/debug cycles deplyment starts to struggle to get the devices attention, reset button works a few times but after 6-10 deployments the bug check BSOD.

I also observe that moving to a different USB port at the unresponsive stage (before the BSOD) buys more time so it's like there's a leak per port that hits some limit (hence the reference to nt!ExAllocatePoolWithTag+0x11 in the stack trace.

HTH

#16858 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 20 August 2011 - 01:08 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Done

#16916 So how does the SD card stuff work anyway?

Posted by Edward on 21 August 2011 - 01:50 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

On the Netduino Plus the SD card sits on the SPI0 bus and the SPI1 bus is available to the user. But you say you are not using the Plus so what SD card solution are you using and on which interface? How have you got the chip select lines for the SD card and the VS1053 connected?

#16924 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0 RC1

Posted by Edward on 21 August 2011 - 06:10 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

No. We're awaiting a revised build from Secret Labs. See http://netmf.codeple...m/workitem/1166

#17137 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 26 August 2011 - 11:55 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Are the symbols for the beta driver available? I caught a full dump but have no symbols so it's not very useful.

#17158 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Edward on 27 August 2011 - 04:47 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

What other files do you need?

Got it - I'd not spotted your edit with the debug version just an hour earlier.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.