Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

icabodcam's Content

There have been 5 items by icabodcam (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#62272 NetworkInterface.OperationalStatus

Posted by icabodcam on 28 April 2015 - 03:41 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I've got a project which provides sensor information through a web interface.  Basic stuff really, but I'm running into an issue where, through no fault of the netduino, I'm losing the network connection at the device.  The only current soluition is to reboot the device, and this is really impractical, so I'm looking for ways to handle this in the code.  I initially thought to reboot the device in the code if the network drops, but that's not great either because I can image a situation where it will get into a reboot loop.   

So, I've just added error handling using the NetworkAvailablityChanged event of the NetworkChange class of the Microsoft.SPOT.Net.NetworkInformation namespace.  This allows me to handle when the device has had connection but loses it temporarially.  The problem, though, is that the device has a static IP address.  I need a way to determine if it is connected to the network at boot up to prevent errors, and just checking that it's IP isn't 0.0.0.0 won't work.  

It appears that the OperationalStatus property isn't available for the NetworkInterface in the framework, so I'm looking for another idea. 

#62275 NetworkInterface.OperationalStatus

Posted by icabodcam on 28 April 2015 - 05:54 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I believe that I've got a solution. 

Reminded in this thread by Nobby, the Socket.Poll method was the solution. 

So the solution looks something like this in the constructor for the listener class:

try
            {
                Debug.Print(NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces()[0].IPAddress);
                listeningSocket.Bind(new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, portNumber));
                listeningSocket.Listen(10);
                bool testConnection = listeningSocket.Poll(500,SelectMode.SelectRead);
            }
            catch (SocketException)
            {
                isNetworkAvailable = false;
                listeningSocket.Close();
            }

Then in the method or thread that handles the listener, test the status of isNetworkAvailable before using the socket, kind of like:

if (isNetworkAvailable)
                {
                    try
                    {
                        using (Socket clientSocket = listeningSocket.Accept())
                        {
                        }

...and in the
NetworkAvailabilityChanged handler if network not available then close the socket, else recreate the socket, bind, and start listening.

I hope that helps someone else. 

#64475 Minimum Vin Power

Posted by icabodcam on 10 November 2015 - 02:13 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm prototyping a power meter for an unattended remote system.  The power system in the device is 24VDC, and I've got some other 12VDC items in there, but I really don't want to put any more drain on the battery system.  So I'm thinking of powering the ND+2 with a LiPo system.  I've been looking at Adafruit's PowerBoost 500 shield as a pretty good plug and go solution, with the exception that if I'm not wrong the Vin pin requires a minimum of 7.5VDC, and the powerboost is providing only 5VDC.   Can someone verify if I can power the ND+2 from Vin with as little as 5V? 

---EDIT---

I just remembered that I've experienced this before.  5V won't work, so I'm changing my question. 

Has anyone else found a solution for powering from a rechargeable battery?

#65084 New Machine--no drivers

Posted by icabodcam on 12 April 2016 - 07:46 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

So I've been through several machines in the last few weeks, and on top of everything else, now I cannot seem to get an install that includes the drivers. 

Can someone please direct me to a location at which I can get these drivers? 

#65088 New Machine--no drivers

Posted by icabodcam on 13 April 2016 - 07:10 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

No, not in the 4.3.2.1.  I don't know if the drivers would work that are in the 4.2.2 listed for the Netduino (not +) and mini.

We should probably look into storing some of this stuff in a cloud location if needed in the future...

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.