emg's Content - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

emg's Content

There have been 62 items by emg (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#39581 Mounting Hole Woes Netduino Plus 2

Posted by emg on 18 November 2012 - 12:57 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Have you thought about using the nylon PCB stand off type mounts?

I've used these: Mini Locking Circuit Board Support
They have a self adhesive base and work well for me...

#40247 Netduino Plus 2 Pinout Reference Sheet

Posted by emg on 26 November 2012 - 06:38 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

* Ethernet is 10/100 Mbps

AFAIK it is only 10Mbps...

#40248 Monitor & Control your Garage Door with Android App

Posted by emg on 26 November 2012 - 06:43 PM in Project Showcase

I think there are still unresolved issues with 4.2 ethernet on N+2, see other threads about MAC address and fixed IP/DHCP problems...

#40325 Monitor & Control your Garage Door with Android App

Posted by emg on 27 November 2012 - 05:59 PM in Project Showcase

Sorry, don't know the specifics of the issue(s) but your description seems to match others trouble-shooting attempts and results. I have a brand new N+2 still sitting in the box waiting for the firmware update that was due out last weekend. This is supposed to resolve this and SPI issues. Here's hoping... I would wait for the next firmware before changing any of your code and/or other devices.

#40844 Any ETAs for Netduino Plus 2 Fixes?

Posted by emg on 03 December 2012 - 02:25 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Well, that settles it. Handbags at dawn...

#42238 Service note: updates to forums

Posted by emg on 27 December 2012 - 03:53 AM in General Discussion

Seems ok Added edit. Using a goTab 7" el cheapo tablet running android ICS. Another edit via mobile theme.

#42275 Service note: updates to forums

Posted by emg on 27 December 2012 - 05:19 PM in General Discussion

HI Steve,

I used to use Chrome and it worked fairly well, until about a month or so ago when there was an update. Now I get "Unfortunately, Chrome has stopped" when ever I try and start it. Even after a factory reset and re-install!

I just tried Dolphin (recomended by a friend), that does the same as the default browser - half the page disapears when I try and add text to the reply box.

Given the others on this forum who have responded that their browser's are working, I think it must be this tablet that is at fault. I'll have to add "SUMVISION" to the home electronics black list.

Thanks everyone - keep unwrapping those presents.

Have you tried resetting the tablet back to defaults? What about the latest firmware updates like these:

http://www.sum-visio...upportastro.asp

I purchased this for £65 last week:

http://www.ergoelect...tablet-gbt740rs

and it seems OK. I have noticed that it struggles with big websites and can sometimes pause for a few seconds before updating. I plan on using it to control some home automation tasks so it should be sufficient.

Good luck!

#42285 Service note: updates to forums

Posted by emg on 27 December 2012 - 08:56 PM in General Discussion

I am plucking up the courage to do the firmware re-install.

On mine there is a button for 'Factory data reset' under Settings|Personal. I've done this already after messing about and it works well. Right back to square one.

#42342 Visual Basic support for Netduino and .NET MF now in beta

Posted by emg on 28 December 2012 - 11:36 AM in Visual Basic Support

I must have missed this too, does VB now implement System.Convert.ToUInt64, Decimal, etc? (try decoding a NTP time byte string in VB only!) 

#42353 RF remote for Hunter light/fan?

Posted by emg on 28 December 2012 - 06:04 PM in General Discussion

I used this as a guide doing something similar...

http://www.instructa...ome-automation/

Range was about 10-15m

#43038 Declare pins as an array

Posted by emg on 09 January 2013 - 10:49 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Or Developer Fusion...

#43705 Advice on measuring the time delta among pulses on as many as 6 inputs

Posted by emg on 18 January 2013 - 11:22 PM in General Discussion

If you are trying to locate by using TDOA (time difference of arrival), would the sensors not need to be a few feet apart to get a measurable time difference?  How far are the sensors apart?

What about sensing peak intensity or how 'loud' the chirp is to derive a general directional bearing? So you would poll their last reading and adjust heading so the front sensor has the highest reading? You could then use an ultrasonic rangefinder to provide a distance measurement and collision avoidance.

#43744 Advice on measuring the time delta among pulses on as many as 6 inputs

Posted by emg on 19 January 2013 - 11:41 AM in General Discussion

Would you not get a large attenuation between the sensor closest to facing the emitter and the one farthest away, facing the opposite direction, masked by the body of the robot?

#43880 Library for HC_SR04 Ultrasonic Rangefinder

Posted by emg on 21 January 2013 - 05:27 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

HAH, now that would be a great Netduino video to post :)

Yes, that's exactly what the internet needs, more cat videos.  B)

#44023 Memory leak

Posted by emg on 23 January 2013 - 03:27 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Have looked at any other WiFi options? I have played about with an OpenPicus Flyport and it has lots of configuration options, send data via FTP, email, UDP, etc or has a built in webserver. 49 euros. I've tested mine with sending/receiving UDP packets to my PC via Wifi and it seems solid.

http://wiki.openpicu...le=Flyport_WiFi

http://www.openpicus.com/

#44026 Memory leak

Posted by emg on 23 January 2013 - 05:11 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

It could be either, really.  I plan on using mine as a WiFi Ethernet to SPI bridge. I guess it depends how smart your counter devices need to be. If you want to 'process' or manipulate the data, cache it locally onto SD card, etc or just count and send totals. You might get way with just the Flyport if you don't need all the power of a N2+.

Here are some more links to libraries and sample applications:

http://wiki.openpicu...title=Tutorials

http://wiki.openpicu...munity_Projects

http://wiki.openpicu...title=Libraries

#44186 Netduino Plus 2 Firmware v4.2.2

Posted by emg on 25 January 2013 - 05:30 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi cranberry,Are you looking for 4.3 firmware...or VS2012 support? We're working on both. It's not a big upgrade, feature-wise. But it's a big upgrade, firmware-integration-wise.  

Chris, does 4.3 have ethernet unicast/multicast support? 

#44236 Selling N+ (v1) Rev B

Posted by emg on 26 January 2013 - 03:42 PM in General Discussion

£2. To me.

That seems reasonable to me!  :D

#44247 Selling N+ (v1) Rev B

Posted by emg on 26 January 2013 - 04:59 PM in General Discussion

Is this a Rev B board? If so, I'll offer £20...

#44267 Selling N+ (v1) Rev B

Posted by emg on 26 January 2013 - 09:37 PM in General Discussion

Yup the rev B board.

Well then, I'll offer £20.

#44293 Selling N+ (v1) Rev B

Posted by emg on 27 January 2013 - 10:13 AM in General Discussion

Sure, £25 sounds good to me. PM me with payment method details.

#44297 DFROBOT Buggy

Posted by emg on 27 January 2013 - 11:23 AM in Project Showcase

Hi Paul,

All you needs it a WiFi access point (that has some spare ethernet ports) or an ethernet switch. Each device connects to your common switch via cable or WiFi. As long as each device has a discreet MAC and IP address, each Netduino and rPi can 'see' and communicate with each other. I assume the rPi is not able to handle having Ethernet port and Wifi USB dongle at the same time.

As for UDP, I choose to use it specifically because it >was< so simple. Using a N+ at 4.2, (with fixed IP address and MAC set) it was easy to communicate via UDP with my PC on the same network. I also have a rPi that I hope to use as a 'controller' using a visual studio application running under Mono (right now Mono only runs under soft float Debian, not Raspbian).

My strategy for using UDP was to use 2 queue's, 2 threads and 2 UDP ports, one for sending, one for receiving. 

Private Sub sendUDP()  'looks to contents of dataQ and cmdQ and sends. Priority given to cmdQ items  Try    sendQ.commands.Clear()    sendQ.sensorData.Clear()    Dim ep As New IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse("192.168.0.9"), 11000)    Dim xmitUDP As New Socket(AddressFamily.InterNetwork, SocketType.Dgram, ProtocolType.Udp)    Do      SyncLock (sendQ)        If sendQ.commands.Count > 0 Then          xmitUDP.SendTo(Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(sendQ.commands.Dequeue.ToString), ep)        ElseIf sendQ.sensorData.Count > 0 Then          xmitUDP.SendTo(Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(sendQ.sensorData.Dequeue.ToString), ep)        End If        'keep queues to 15/5        If sendQ.commands.Count > 15 Then          sendQ.commands.Dequeue()        End If        If sendQ.sensorData.Count > 5 Then          sendQ.sensorData.Dequeue()        End If      End SyncLock      Thread.Sleep(500)    Loop  Catch ex As Exception    rebootNetduino(True, False)  End Try  End Sub

So in the above example I de-queue and send a string of text that is either parsed out as sensor data or commands.

To Receive:

Private Sub RECVctrl()  Try    Dim anyEP As New IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, 11001)    Dim recvUDP As New Socket(AddressFamily.InterNetwork, SocketType.Dgram, ProtocolType.Udp)    Dim recvbuf() As Byte = New [Byte](200) {} 'was 255    Dim sender As New IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, 0)    Dim senderRemote As EndPoint = CType(sender, EndPoint)    recvUDP.Bind(anyEP)    Do	  recvUDP.ReceiveFrom(recvbuf, senderRemote)	  runCommand(New String(Encoding.UTF8.GetChars(recvbuf, 0, recvbuf.Length)))	  Array.Clear(recvbuf, 0, 200)    Loop  Catch ex As Exception    sendMSG(MC.ERR, MP.Sub_RECVctrl, MT.REBOOT, ex.Message.ToString)    Thread.Sleep(1000)    rebootNetduino(True, True)  End TryEnd Sub

In the above receive example, I have a 200 byte array as a receive buffer and the received 'commands' are parsed and acted on in another Sub (runCommand).

So in my configuration, I am sending text strings via UDP to IP 192.168.0.9 on port 11000 and I am listening for text string sent from any IP on port 11001. This is done this way as the N+ is sending sensor data to my PC (or rPi eventually when they get HF Mono sorted) and can be commanded from any other device on the same 192.168.0.x network by listening on port 11001. The N+ is used to drive a DHW circulating pump in my house and collect temp readings and pump status.

HTH

#44327 DFROBOT Buggy

Posted by emg on 27 January 2013 - 10:14 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Paul,
Sorry, yes HTH = Hope This Helps

Yes, it looks like you are correct with the rPi running multiple network interfaces. I don't know enough about the rPi to say if the limitation is specific to the rPi hardware or the OS just needs tweaking. I've plugged nothing else except a keyboard/mouse during initial setup (now just use puTTY and VNC) into mine.

My day job is servers, networks, routers, etc I'm used to fixed IP addressing so it's no big deal for me. As for WiFi, I prefer cabled Ethernet over WiFi as it will always be faster and more reliable (less to break/configure), assuming it is convenient to run a cable.

One point though, you mentioned wanting to direct cable devices without using a switch. This requires a crossover cable or NIC's that Auto-MDIX. I would stay away from this configuration and always use an Ethernet switch (4-8 port white box brand 10/100Mbit switch is £10-15). Your home broadband router may already have a few spare open ports. Ethernet switches provide some buffering and seem to work better vs direct cable with modern NIC's. If you have a BT Home hub (or similar WiFi ADSL router that has a few Ethernet ports) you can still run the rPi via WiFi and cable the N+ devices to the same network. You should probably set a DHCP range exclusion so the router DHCP does not hand out an IP you have configured with a fixed IP address. Let me know if you have specific questions on networking and I can be of help.

For testing, I found it very easy to test on my PC to either itself (running 2 copies of the 'client' application) or using the client to talk to the N+. I can test with 2 clients on the same PC as I am using 2 separate ports to send/receive.

As for my examples, sorry it was confusing - I tried to strip out all the non-essential code not directly related to UDP. SendQ is a simple class:

Public Class sendingQ  Public sensorData As New Queue  Public commands As New QueueEnd Class

I stripped out all of the rest of the code that writes to SendQ - sensor threads, a command thread, etc so it was not shown. SyncLock (sendQ) locks the object while data is being de-queued. BTW, you can run the code though a C#/VB converter and I assume it will be OK.

It has been a while since I wrote the code, but I do remember having issues with Receive vs ReceiveFrom. The MSDN help states that ReceiveFrom is intended for connectionless protocols (UDP) and in the end found it easier to work with. I used IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, 0) to specify any sender.

http://msdn.microsof...(v=vs.100).aspx

Like I mentioned above, you can write and test all of this on your PC, pointing back to itself. I remember writing a small testing application with 2 threads when developing the example code and just copied/pasted into my N+ project when done. Run the above code though a VB/C# converter and adjust port, IP address to suit your local PC and queue/dequeue your text to each thread and you should be GTG.  :)

Edit Add: If testing on your PC and if it has a fairly modern OS (Windows 7/8, Server 2008) you will probably need to open the specific ports you using on your firewall or they will get blocked!

#44463 DFROBOT Buggy

Posted by emg on 29 January 2013 - 12:41 AM in Project Showcase

Ahh, I see. I did not read your previous posts up-thread about the vehicle.You are short of GPIO on the N+, that's why you want to try Ethernet between the rPi and N+? That really is a shame about the rPi unable to use 2 network interfaces at the same time - this would have been perfect.

#44511 Finding all Netduino Plus(s) on a network

Posted by emg on 29 January 2013 - 05:07 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Won't step 2a trigger some firewalls that block port scanning (and be slow)? Why not have an 'announce' at startup or part of a reset button?

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.