Magpie's Content - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Magpie's Content

There have been 156 items by Magpie (Search limited from 20-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#39235 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 13 November 2012 - 02:24 AM in General Discussion

PCB pre manufacture check list. Done with Kicad and Seeed in mind but should be applicable to most boards. TODO update as I think of more things to check. SCHEMATIC: schematic DRC passes ok. FOOTPRINTS: pcb foot prints are correct. PCB: design rules are set to match the manufacturer. Current general settings: Minimum value for tracks width: 0.2032 mm Minimum value for vias diameter: 0.8890 mm No microvias. all tracks, set min clearance .2 if possible then .17 if possible otherwise .15 as absolute min. do mount holes do flooded zones. add version and name of board. add order number if necessary add image? add info to silkscreen for all connectors, but not underneath. make sure silkscreen has orientation of all unipolar items. check mechanical clearances DRC passes. in preferences->dimensions->pad mask clearance. set global solder mask 0.3mm for very small check drill sizes are all standard (somehow) PLOT: probably turn component values off when generating gerbers. dont invert y axis Files: .drl Back.gbl front.gtl Mask_Back.gbs (dont confuse Mask with SolderPMask. (solder paste))_ Mask_Front.gts SilkS_Back.gbo SilkS_Front.gto subtract silkscreen from mask plot board outlines on layers GERBERS: Make sure all align. Make sure zones don't flood kelvin connections. make sure one via looks right. make sure one through hole pin looks right. make sure one top smd looks right. look at the smallest smd. check silkscreen isn't confusing and has all required details. check each layer individually to make sure clearance is ok. SENDING: Add Readme.txt with order/quote number Zip: 6 files + drill file + readme.txt make sure that the board outline is in gerbers

#39441 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 16 November 2012 - 02:02 AM in General Discussion

Had a 5 minute look, I couldn't see any problems. You could spend the rest of your life adjusting the silkscreen, it looks good enough. Seeed has changed its ordering method, it is a bit more straight forward. Basically rename your drl file to .txt and zip it up. I did Steff4 last night which just fixed the disaster that was steff3( where I didn't really look at the Gerbers). It was $32 10x10 posted. (Green, I have lost my confidence).

#39224 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 12 November 2012 - 11:29 PM in General Discussion

Have you assigned all nets to track types that have the min clearance of 0.2? Try and investigate one DRC error, you should be able to reduce it to 0 errors. Recently I have only been using 1 track type, and assign every net to it. Then when I want to adjust the track or segment width I change the default width. It is because many of my tracks have different thicknesses. I go small as I approach the pins. I don't think this is how you are supposed to work, but it is quicker for me. I made another mistake with my boards, I think I sent the solder paste mask instead of the solder mask. Who knows what will come back, but it will be wrong. The solder paste mask is for making the stencils. Completely wrong. Fail. $50 dollars worth of Landfill. I don't know if you can find a bigger chip that has so much ADC. 3 differential channels is pretty darn good for a 20 pin chip. Addressing them using spi wont be such a problem but there is a bit of code to write and debug. Damp basement can probably be fixed with a fan or some fancy passive ventilation. If you can get the damp air out, you have a good chance. It iwll be good for the foundations to be a bit drier. Still it is a worry. Let me check the gerbers before manufacture.

#39127 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 12 November 2012 - 05:42 AM in General Discussion

Hi I found and fixed a new problem. I am learning as I go, I just noticed this. The problem is also on my expensive black boards for steff 3. damn it. Any work around I do is going to take a bit of work. The problem is the flooded zone on the ground plane, floods the ground kelvin connection, thereby negating its kelviness. I fixed it on your board by doing cutouts of the zones where it interferes with the kelvin connection. Attached is the repaired board. The Kelvin connection enables us to ADC some very low voltages. So it needs to be as noise and bias free as possible. I have checked drc, It said some tracks were too close. I didn't change them I just set the DRC clearance of all tracks to 0.2mm from 0.25mm and everything passed. Seeed studio should be ok with a clearance of 6mil or 0.15mm. the inductors seem to have the right footprint, they will solder fine. Good luck with the house.

Attached Files

#38215 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 30 October 2012 - 01:42 AM in General Discussion

thats an important cap. the digikey part will be fine. The only two sizes I used are 805 and 1206 so the big ones are 1206. I think all the caps are 805 but the resistors are mostly 1206. the 0.1ohm are 1206 I think. different board houses have different ordering requirements I have been using Seeed Studio (very very cheap but they have a few hoops to jump through). Make sure after plotting you view in Gerber viewer. It should be 6 layers + the drill file. Put them all in the gerber veiwer together and check alignment of the holes and tracks. Make sure everything sits on top of one another. the layers are. Copper top and bottom solder mask top and bottom. this layor covers most of the board except where you need to solder. silkscreen top and bottom. To plot gerbers press plot and use defaults. There is a tute on this out there. Basically I just use defaults. Dont invert the Y axis. Also put the board edges onto the plots. plotting is actually quite easy. I just sent off steff3 to Seeed. ( 2channels, 36V, 100mm x 50mm board, black) Hopefully this is the One. Steff2 was too big and too green. Hard to put into a light fitting. Edit : oh and dont forget to put mount holes in, like they did with raspberry pi. I use a model called '1pin' which has a drill hole of 1/8 inch. This will let you use 3mm screws and rivets.

#40419 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 29 November 2012 - 12:53 PM in General Discussion

I will get some low blow fuses like you recommended 100ma or so.

Second thoughts I think they are a bit low to be useful. Dont worry about them but do wire up a current limited wall wart or something.

I'm going to test with the 1A 5v I have and will probably run the boards at a lower output for testing, maybe 200ma or so?

Something like that , turn on with the current limit set to say 40mA and the lights dim. then wind it up checking for too much warmth in the various components.

This being said I will need to add a few extra resistors for testing, I guess you would recommend creating some form of regulator then for the boards especially whilst using the wall wart.

I meant power resistors to initially sub in place of the leds. Just a few 2, 5 or 10W wired up to be one or two ohms. Until you get the control circuitry and firmware correct and tested you don't want to blow the leds.

I think I am going to get a 5v 20amp switching supply eventually with build in protection as listed above, so it will give me some scope for expansion or if I really wanted to push the leds. Plus I guess the fact its switching should make it a little more efficient when running at lower output right?

I would wait until you are happy with the boards. I still dont like the 5v and also I think I have made a layout mistake with the 5 volt tracks. I don't know how critical it will be but it isn't optimal. We should really have two separate rails for the 5v. So the noise from the leds switching doesn't upset the micro or the analogue. The analogue 5v is already separate from the micro 5v but the micro is sharing a supply with the fets and therefore will be subject to unnecessary noise. Sorry about that, It only recently occurred to me. Ideally we would supply the micro with an output from a linear regulator which is nice and clean. Have you got a cro? Anyway we will see when the boards come back.

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Power/add-on.html

This seems good enough. But you may need to beef up the transistor and lessen the resistance to give say 500mA.

But you will loose a volt with this the current limiting, so just for testing start with 8-12v, put the current limiter, then put a standard LM7805 (or 317 + 2 resistors) and then you project.
the current limit should be selectable so maybe switch in/out a resistor. Make on setting 30mA to limit damage on board faults. and the other one 500mA, so you can actually test you channels and firmware, without burning anything.

#40485 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 30 November 2012 - 09:12 AM in General Discussion

Hi BD131 should be ok or even BC337 should be ok for the current limiter. Just need Ic max > 500mA. For the diodes In4004 or In914 or In4148 should be ok. Get at least one LM317 as it will give a very clean supply. Some vero board. A resistor pack? There are no component changes for the separate rails except having 3 input power connectors onto the board 1: Gnd both supplies. 2: +5v for fets and bjts. can be switched mode. 3: +5v for attiny. maybe a linear regulated ie. Nice and clean. On a side note, I was made redundant today. It came as a bit of a shock but I am not so worried, I have a few options, my wife has a job and I need a long holiday. Might do a bit of fishing. I want to stay in electronics but may have to do programming or electricians work.

#46554 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 02 March 2013 - 11:39 PM in General Discussion

It's a shame I live on the other side of the planet, I am a sparky too so I could help with the wiring.

I have been scratching around for Electrical work and it has been a bit slow, but I have also been given a job reviewing somebodies embedded electrical project, It is quite interesting but I'm afraid my assessment is a bit damning. I didn't want this as I know how hard it is to finish projects let alone make them perfect. Anyway my client says don't hold back, they want the truth, and there have been more than a few failures in the field.

Hopefully this will lead into a replacement board, I want to go Arm m3 or maybe m4. 32 bit code yay. 8bit does get a bit annoying.

Node Zero, I'm not familiar with this term.

Sounds like you have big plans, you might have to resign your day job to implement them.

I made up 5 x Steff 0.4 they all work, my production techniques need refining, but each time I try a different way and learn a bit.

You have to manage it so that the solder pasted doesn't dry out before you finish placing. I think the vacuum pick up idea is good but I haven't managed to do it. RE. Mikes Electric Stuff.

All the boards work well, I have only mounted one of the version 0.4s. My lab has 3 led lights now, more than bright enough.

I added a switch to them so when they are turned off they draw just about 10uA.

#44356 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 28 January 2013 - 04:28 AM in General Discussion

I guess you have noticed on the current limiter ps that the negative input is not connected to the negative output. Which is a bit unusual I suppose, but in this case it is correct. Remove RLoad from the circuit and replace it with your boards for testing. Your boards should have an input jumper with two wires, these connect to where the load resister was. If you are worried about polarity, don't, we should have reverse polarity protection, give it a try. If it is wrong the current limiter should kick in. If that fails then the fuse should blow. If the fuse doesn't blow and you have 5 volts on the input pins, then it will mean that you can start testing firmware. Initially you dont even need to insert the Attiny chip. However when you insert a chip make sure the power is off. As to what size wall wart you will need 9-12V dc, regulated or not wont matter. The current limiting psu should be ok with anything under 20v. Dont use a battery!!! use a wall wart 500mA to 1A is best. Batteries can really damage stuff and start fires if there is a short. A car battery is capable of 100s of amps whereas a wall wart will only give 1 or so amps. I have never built this circuit myself mind you, but I am sure it will work if you have the wiring right. While the circuit is switched on use your fingers to check for abnormal heat output from the different components, also if you hear or smell something strange then turn power off and check things.

I cant seem to get motivated to solder my own Steff4 boards yet. Maybe soon. I think I am going to do it in two steps. All the numerous hardy components first and reflow them. Then all the rest and reflow the entire board a second time. I find if you are too slow the paste dries out and isn't as sticky. Also have a quick reference board already done, so you don't spend too much time wondering which resister goes where.

I don't actually use the liquid flux, but I think it is good for difficult ICs. Did I give you a link to Mikes Electric Stuff? Hes a one man SMD factory.

#43131 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 10 January 2013 - 09:22 PM in General Discussion

For some reason we don't pay our VAT (10%) on items below $1000. And buying overseas is the norm for any serious purchases.

House negotiations are not going my way, out of the £11k devaluation the bank imposed, I'm currently fitting 8 of the 11

Sorry I dont understand, but then I don't know much about buying houses. I would take care as it is such a huge purchase.

Get some reflow practice on the hardier components first,

If you want a challenge try DFN with a thermal pad and no solder mask between the pads. That's what I did for the Solar charger. Each one took about 5 goes. Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier.

I must admit I found 2 soldering irons easiest for the big inductors.

#41311 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 10 December 2012 - 09:49 AM in General Discussion

It's not so bad being retrenched, I already have a few small electrical jobs come up and I got a few months pay. I am enjoying the different time scale and being at home.
I am hoping to get more electronics than software for a change.

My only beef with losing my job is the fear they gave my main project, which was software, back to the consultants who will F**K it up.

A Little software saga about my work project (not actually a quote):

Project Design done with the consultants me and one other staff member. difficult software but good design outcome. Consultants did great job here.

The project was basically an Autocad plugin that talks to a SQL database which synchronises with our CRM Server which loads data from our Quickbooks.
Data is also held in the autocad design files that get updated as changes are made in CRM or in another Windows forms app.
Sales guys request designs through CRM and are returned the PDFs of the plotted designs through CRM.
Autocad designer does risk assessment and then design to meet the assessment. Autocad releases design back to DB which synchronises back to CRM.
Sounds complicated, it was and I was hoping CRM would come to the party and it actually did. When I first heard of what we were doing I thought this project has fail written all over it, but didn't say anything as I wanted the job, and this project was why I was hired.

Then we got the consultants to tender for the project, They tendered $45000 and said they could do it in 3 months. I said it wasn't possible for me to do it in 3 months. So I couldn't compete, I would just manage them. Which isn't my strongest suit.
So they get the tender and after 6 weeks I check progress and they haven't started. 3 months and the Winforms app is sent to me but it is just a hollow shell of an app they once sold to someone else. One year later and it doesn't work and the winforms app doesn't even make sense so I don't know how to use it. the Synchronizer has the code written but not tested so obviously it has at least a month of debugging to get it going.
The CRM modifications were done, but probably only at Alpha stage.

So at that point I took the app back because they were too busy to do it anyway and in 6-12 months it finally did work and was being used. We have done about 50 designs in the last couple of months.
Stage One was finished.
I manage to throw most of there code away. Not out of spite but anything I don't understand has to go, anything that is hard to debug also has to go, such as those annoying .Net Visually designed DataSets.

So now I am on the outer, but I am hoping my project doesn't die from neglect.
The other guy I worked with on this project is an extremely good BA but a dodgy coder, but I think he can handle it, if he gets it given back.

Anyway that's my rant. Apart from that life is very good.

Tell me when your boards arrive. And how they work out.

I got my boards back for a Solar mppt charger based on the Attiny861a and I was checking the current measurement, it only uses 100mOhm sense resistor and the attiny firmware control loop, it is rock solid, doesn't move a bit. That is good as your boards have the exact same control loop.

When you need some firmware I can give you the basics.
I have one chip programmed to test each channel initially. So you just plug them in and check it on the Cro see if it's all ok.
Only then put the real firmware in.
Once that is solid you can make some descisions about comms from the Netduino, and what Netduino.

#37736 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 21 October 2012 - 11:09 PM in General Discussion

Last time I used Seeed Studio but they do boards in certain sizes which may not fit your board. They do boards in multiples of 5cm dimensions. See what fits! They are a truly minimilist service. The advantage of these guys is they are super cheap. 10 boards for $50 or something. itead is the other very cheap one. I also used Olimex? Bulgaria. They were good and but a bit more expensive, but based in Europe so may be faster. (Actually they have suspended their service because they are at full capacity.) So much for the Euro zone economic calamity. You could try Fritzing and just get one board done and see if it works. Take some time to get the silkscreen right, it makes soldering much easier. Also dont expect zero mistakes first board, aim for no critical mistakes. I haven't really done much layout so I am learning too. But trying to explain the Kelvin connections to someone is hard, so I thought I would just do them.

#37418 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 19 October 2012 - 08:48 AM in General Discussion

Fixed 5 volts as best I could, still needs mount holes.

Attached Files

#32016 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 14 July 2012 - 01:03 PM in General Discussion

Hi

Please can you confirm that I haven't made any mistakes?

I made some changes, added to new column that flags the changes.

For the 5v version, you mentioned I need a smaller inductor, can you recommend any that would be good for the job? Or will either of the ones I all ready have do the trick which seem to be 100uh and 330uh?

I left the inductors at 100u you can probably go smaller as well, probably down to around 10u. So many variables to choose these. 100 will be fine if you have them but say 33u might be better, but only marginally.

You also said I need a different TVS diode, what would you recommend for this? PS I am probably going to order from Mouser in the UK.

Look for operating voltage of 5v, but since you are providing a regulated low noise supply off board, the only thing this will do is protect against reverse polarity.
Also bear in mind that you need to provide the regulated low noise supply off board because this is what the 12->5v part of the supply was doing.

I guess the current sense will change in value right? Do you have the equation for 700ma from a 5v input?

No the sense resistor is about right, it will be ridiculously efficient but may be prone to noise.
You may want to try 200mOhms. I tried to layout my board inputs as "kelvin" inputs. Unless you do this well your current sense inputs will be prone to noise.
Any prototypes you may want to use up to 500mOhms.

Calcs: 100mOhms at around 700mA the current sense should read .7 x .1 = 0.07 volts at full load.
We are not getting all that 700ma through the sense resistor so say we get 500mA. ( Some goes through the Shottky). = 0.05v
then we multiply by 32 in the internal gain stage = 1.6 volts. our full scale may be 3.3 volts so we get a reading of 500/1024 at full current.

Finally the parts for the dimmer channels, are these already on the BOM and do the values still stand for 5v?

Your pwm outputs should feed straight in to these as long as they are 5v full scale. Dont connect the 5v but connect the rest.

Have you recieved your boards yet and got one soldered up?

Apparently they are in transit.
I have the parts from Digikey. The murata inductors look a mess, they must've been made by the apprentice. The last ones looked great.
I have also got some really fine prismatic diffusing glass on order, it breaks up the leds nicely. The plastic ones are good too but they look shit when they are turned off.

Good luck

Attached Files

#32580 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 23 July 2012 - 11:44 PM in General Discussion

I got my boards back last night from Seeed Studio As usual I can see a couple of small things I would change. Especially the Silkscreen. I lost my +- on my connectors, Also the solder mask where the tracks join the pads was a bit uncovered. I don't know why I didn't see them before. Any way the footprints all seem to fit. this is only actually my third board that I have laid out ever. My bosses never gave me Layout jobs, It's normally one guy gets Altium and does all the Layout. I might be able to solder up something tomorrow. Then I have to refactor/ create some code to match it. I should've done it by now. I have used Kicad for the layout, it's a bit of a beast until you get used to it. Then there are the library files. for the foot prints. I can send you them but it might be a big file. If you are not using KIcad, then working off the pdf would be good. Most of the work is in the thinking and the tidying up. The actual track placement, if you know where you are routing is quick. I think in your case you can use any similar inductance inductor. first what inductor do you need. At 5V and one led and say 64 khz you could get away with 33u easy. The inductors job is to limit the instaneous current through the led, if your load were resistors then you wouldn't need the inductor, and you would have a chopper circuit. It also reduces em issues, by reducing ripple through your wire to the led. The only disadvantages of it are the price, space and the series resistance. So for 5v, 1 led, choose 33u and be done with it. Then choose a foot print, I don't think you need the torroids but they are cheap and huge, my ten year old son thinks they look like nuclear reactors, you could go for one of the more conventional SMD packages. Just look for a reasonable low series resistance and good price as it is probably the most expensive component. Yes the digikey bom upload was a bit of a joke. But I got my order in less than 4 days. It got here so fast that I had no idea what it was till I saw the box. the only MVC I know is the Model View Controller user interface design paradigm. Nice idea but I have never seen it implemented well. I saw it in Web Java, Visual Studio and XCode (apple) and maybe in python. Entity Framework : such general terms, seen them near each other many times but I can't place it. (Looked it up, MS's version of hibernate, object to relational DB mapping framework) Kendo: Hitting each other with bamboo sticks then bowing. I would be careful puttng MVC and entity framework together, I had this project in Java given to me once and it was totally out of my control, the MVC(JSF) and the Hibernate would talk to each other, it had a life of it's own, like Frankenstein. Errors were generating call stacks of 70 deep of which only 5 or so of the calls were code that I had access too. I was no longer a programmer I was a configurer. Yuck. Tell me what software you want to do the layout in, I will send the pdfs or the whole kicad directory accordingly. I think get inductors with a ferrite core, not powdered. resonant freq > 1mhz

#30125 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 02 June 2012 - 11:17 PM in General Discussion

Hi Andrew I have been running my SteffShield for a week now and I am having trouble with flickering at low duty cycles, I think you will have to watch em noise between channels. I do have three channels in close proximity. I am going to go back to the Attiny model for my domestic lights project. At least it doesn't flicker.

#29304 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 16 May 2012 - 11:06 PM in General Discussion

The Steff Shield is working, I am running off 24 volts and have the TVS diodes in.
I haven't damaged one chip. I need more properly heatsinked leds before I can run at > 350mA.

SteffShield

The main thing with the 2uF and 4.7uf caps is that they respond fast, to do this they need minimal inline inductance.
You must use ceramic caps and you should place them as close as possible to the legs of the chip. Surface mount ceramics are even better.

Here you will have competing requirements as almost everything needs to be close.
This is the advantage of surface mount if you are going to route a board.
In order of proximity to the chip I would put
Caps, diode, inductor, sense resistor, other resistors.
the other importan thing is to work out the high current paths and put thick tracks where necessary. I think some of my power tracks are 3-4 mm wide.

You dont need to change the sense values depending on the number of leds, this is the beauty of your current driver.

You just need to be sure that you have enough voltage for the number of leds. ie. Voltage Supply > 3.1(vf) * number of leds.

As I mentioned before I would leave spots for at least 2 and preferably 3 resistors in parrallel for your current sense resistor. You could even make them switchable.
for 700mA you need R = V/I = 200/700 = 285mOhms. I found that even if your resistors are exact your current wont be so this is why it needs to be tweaked.

Also On Semi told me that you need to short pin 1 and 2 externally.

#28258 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 28 April 2012 - 10:47 AM in General Discussion

Hi Here's some info cap 4.7uF 50volt ceramic mount close to pins C3216Y5V1H475Z 33uh inductor resonant freq > 3 Mhz, low series resistance < 100mOhms, shielded or toroid, min 2.5 amps murata 32330C or wurth 744770133, I must admit I like the toroids as you feel the weight of them, you mean business. somehow get down to 290mOhms, it might be cheaper to parrallel up about 4x 1.0 and 1.something resistors. use 1% tolerance cost effective. definitely use at least 2x parallel resistors for flexibility and accuracy. Total power rating of each the resistors should be met by a factor of at least 4 just so they don't run too hot. Watts = (180mV ^2) / R. the diode can be 5819 rated at 40-60 volts but there are many others including MBRS340 which is 3 amps 40 volts, don't go higher than 60 volts you will lose somewhere else. Rt just needs to be a standard 1% resistor, I haven't done the calcs , try 50k, 100K or 200K . low power is fine. 30 x 0.1uf or should this be 2uf? caps (please can you provide specific characteristics thats what I really am terrible at) I seem to remember some ambiguity in the datasheet here but I can only see the 2uF now. So use that. I think I used .22uF, don't ask me why, and it failed. As usual ceramic, very close to pins and say 25-50 volts. If I have forgotten something just tell me. Good luck. I am wait on my replacement NCL30160s, but I have the rest of the shield going okay, which is only the step down power supply, powering an arduino. ( Lower cost of failure)

#32606 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 24 July 2012 - 10:32 AM in General Discussion

Hi

You can't use the FDB3502 at all! Not at 5v.

This is a N Channel normal level mosfet. I am driving this at about 11 volts on, 0 volts off.

You need an N Channel logic level mosfet. You will drive this at 5 volts on, and 0 volts off.
Get one in the same package size (DPak, D2Pak)
, with a roughly similar Gate Charge Qg ( 10-30nC) lower is better.
and a low RDS on. I marked it in yellow because it needed changing. Sorry for not making this clearer.

If you used the FDB3502s they would still work, but they wouldn't switch fully on so they would have a higher Rds.
The net result is they would run hot and waste energy.

I added in the capacitor that was a 1u to my BOM

I can't remember what you want the 1u for, it probably wont hurt. Is it C1? For decoupling the power input pins of the attiny. If it is I have used 1u ceramic.
I don't follow your question. Sorry did I leave it out of the BOM I sent you? It definitely needs to be there.

Edit: Confused gate capacitance with Gate Charge

#32731 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 26 July 2012 - 10:46 PM in General Discussion

Hi,

I have it down to 5 mosfets, which do you think would be best for the job? I have tried to fit your suggestions above:

MTD3055VLCT-ND
MTD3055VLDKR-ND
497-4335-1-ND
497-4335-6-ND
IRLR014PBF-ND

Finally will these do for the inductors? 811-1222-ND or These?

Many thanks,

Andy

I have assembled the board, I had one big mistake, one of my Black regulator transistors was around the wrong way, And I also put the wrong package on for my mosfets.
Luckily they just squeeze in.
the Black regulator is working.
I need to write the firmware to test the actual dirvers, and especially the current sense part. I should be able to get some results this weekend. Things have been a bit hectic lately.
I'll look at the Fets now.

#37401 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 18 October 2012 - 10:03 PM in General Discussion

I just remembered, I didn't put in any drill holes for mounting. And I made a mistake with the 5v rail. I will redo the 5v, it should fork at the bulk capacitor with one trace going to the attiny and the other trace going everywhere else. This should give better noise immunity. I think I prefer the 12volt version though. Noise may be a problem with the 5v version, it is hard to say. Although I think you are using the internally regulated reference for the ADC so it might be ok. The 12v version gets 5 volts by using a linear regulator, this give it a very clean 5v. Whereas the 5v rail in your circuit has noise from the switching of the Fets straight onto it.

#32993 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 02 August 2012 - 01:51 AM in General Discussion

Hi Andrew Good news I have fixed the init problem by setting the brown out fuse to 4.3 volts. I have three channels current sensing. Controlled by the dimmer. the differential sensing works and so I can just touch the slider and the output will correspondingly change, the output is quite stable. I will do more accurate tests later. All channels are behaving the same way. I have almost no flickering, maybe the tiniest bit at very low light settings. I have tons of scope to tighten the feedback loop, this will be the major factor of any flickering. I have written it in C. But have been told that assembler is better for this job. I am using Amtel Studio 6, which should be familiar if you us a netduino. I will give you the project now but I will probably change things before you are ready to program. the only thing not planned is I am using the 2.56 vref for the dimmer as well as the current sense. there is a good chance it will work with 5v as planned. Also I don't think we need Attiny461a as the code and ram requirements are very small, you can probably save your cents and get the 261a instead. I can give you help in the layout. not that I am an expert I've only done 3 boards but no abject failures yet. Apart from the silkscreen layers. Have you sorted out your tlc5940 stuff yet? NB I haven't tested the 3 channels independently yet, I am worried the current sense may be subject to cross talk, hence the strange track layout.

Attached Files

#32978 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 01 August 2012 - 01:29 PM in General Discussion

Found these they seem relatively cheap and available what do you think?

they seemed to be $6.00 each or was that a pack of something.
Try PCE3340CT-ND I think you should be able to get something for around 50 cents, you can probably go smaller 33uF on these if you want.

In terms of the cap symbol, which library do I need to look in?

from memory it is in devices and called cp1

Also you mentioned in terms of the library that I may need some files? Do you think this is the case and is this for the PCB design as opposed to the actual schematic?

more so in pcb editor, these is an excellent pdf that is built into the toolbar on pcbeditor. use that to help find footprint names

I have the channels 1 and 2 current sensing and stable.
Now I have init/boot problems and channel 3 I cannot get to current sense.

#32960 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 31 July 2012 - 11:44 PM in General Discussion

C21 larger electrolytic capacitor of 50uF, I have been unable to find a suitable part even in stock on digikey, am I missing something or is this a fairly heavty cap? Can you suggest any examples any where?

This is just a bypass capacitor for the whole board. It's size depends on the power used by the board and the length of wire to to power supply and the power of your power supply.
Anything from 10uF to 220uF would be fine, I suggest 50uF but it wont make a difference.
Also its voltage rating doesn't need any high voltage either. 16v is fine but 25v is good too. Remeber it is electrolytic not ceramic. For a computer analogy, the ceramic is like your ram and the electrolytic is like your hard drive. They are often in parrallel. It should be easy to find. The pdf schematic component is wrong is should show a curve on one of the plates and a plus sign. They are unipolar and need to be orientated correctly.

Almost there with the schematic, although I have just been changing the values of the components is this ok?

Yes that is fine.
The diagram looks good otherwise,
dont worry about the DRC on those last things, you can safely ignore it.
If you really want to fix it you can edit the module and then edit the pins to be power in or whatever satisfies DRC.

On the topic of foot prints is there a standard for all the resistors I remember you mentioning an issue you had 0805 and 1206 I think?

Both of those are standard (12 mils x 6 mils) and (8mils x 5mils) dimensions with mils being 1 thousandth of an inch.
Don't go any smaller than 0805 and I would use 1206 out of choice as it will be easier to measure and fix. I used 805 on the caps so I could fit them in nice and close to the ATTiny,
and 1206 on most of the resistors. When buying another thing to watch is the tolerance, but in this case it doesn't matter too much. Though it is easy to get 10% on ceramic caps and 1% on resistors so I wouldn't settle for less, incase you have spare and want to use them on another job.

After that I reckon you are done.

Now assign and/or make footprints and do the pcb layout. I find there is a fair bit of back and forth between metric and imperial while I do and check foot prints.

But I still haven't got the firmware to do the differential ADC inputs, with the 32 x Gain,
I have measured current but only as a one sided input, and because you get no gain I only get a tiny voltage.
I will try again tonight. My feeling is that it should work so it is only a matter of time.

#26779 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by Magpie on 09 April 2012 - 02:15 PM in General Discussion

I am thinking for your purposes, you can get away without current sensing.
You just need over current protection.
This will give you
less losses
very simple circuit
excellent linearity, good for colour.
but at a cost of

fair bit of software fiddling if you change the leds per circuit, or supply voltage, if this is the case you will have to reset the max pwm
you will need fuses too, to protect your leds. make sure the fuses blow before the leds.

Have you worked out how many channels of how many leds?
Is it 32 channels of 1 led?
For the single led channels I don't think I would bother getting an inductor either.

just something like.
tlc -> PMD3001D -> nfet gate.(logic level fet, or maybe STN3NF06L) 

and VCC - fuse - leds - nfet drain and nfet source to ground.

or VCC - fuse - leds - inductor - nfet drain and nfet source to ground.
              |              	|
              |--- diode --------|
Obviously prototype first.

For my purposes ( domestic lighting 10 leds in series) I am going to rejig the Attiny461a, finish, improve the code, and choose the best transistors, and fet.
Maybe even go synchronous.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.