Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Niels R.'s Content

There have been 10 items by Niels R. (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#48687 Safely ejecting SD card (and other problems)

Posted by Niels R. on 24 April 2013 - 11:59 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

No crazy magnetic fields, no NMR, no MRI, no nuclear explosions, no supermassive stellar remnants.

The corruption seems purely random. Sometimes I can eject and happily read the memory card. Other times I can open the memory card, but the file won't open. Other times it tells me it has a problem the instant I put it in my computer.

Could it be that the corruption takes place when ejecting the SD card while writing to it?

Niels

#51082 N+ 2 "hangs" after a while. How to debug?

Posted by Niels R. on 04 July 2013 - 01:47 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Anyone?

#51099 N+ 2 "hangs" after a while. How to debug?

Posted by Niels R. on 05 July 2013 - 06:28 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

ziggurat29: Thank you very very much for the lengthy answer. This gives me a lot to work with!!! I really appriciate it.

I was thinking in the direction of the network stack as I had these kind of "hang ups" during early development when I was fiddling with the network cables etc... I have spend some time writing code to avoid this kind of situations, but it looks like it isn't failsave at all.

Do you mind sharing the "detection code" you use? Or give me some pointers to work with?

Chris: As stated above I'm indeed suspecting the network stack. Do you have any info or example code regarding watchdogs?

Niels

#51102 N+ 2 "hangs" after a while. How to debug?

Posted by Niels R. on 05 July 2013 - 07:05 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Niels, which firmware does your ND running on? Which version of the .NET SDK do you have installed?

My experience is that the .NET Framework SDK 4.3 is very buggy. I'm using code for measuring my Power Consumption and Generation and also send data to a webservice. I'm running FW 4.2.2.2 and version 4.2 of the SDKs.

I don't use beta firmware as I don't want to spend to much time running into undocumented problems. My devices have firmware v4.2.2.2 and are using the v4.2 SDKs (as you do).

#51039 N+ 2 "hangs" after a while. How to debug?

Posted by Niels R. on 03 July 2013 - 06:24 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have a N+ 2 running a simple program: get the values of 2 sensors every 30 seconds and send it to a web service.

After a while the web service stops receiving requests from the N+. When I look at the N+ I still see the LAN LED flicker from time to time.

I've deployed the same code with some additional Debug.Print() lines to another N+ an ran it connected to VS.

After a while I see the debug messages (and requests at the web service) have stopped, but no Exception message is shown in the debugger window.

How do I start debugging this? Any tips?

Additionally: How can I monitor the memory/CPU usage of my device?

Niels

#49338 Wifi bridge (e.g. Vonets VAP11G)

Posted by Niels R. on 10 May 2013 - 04:03 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Do you really need DHCP for a (i assume) home network? Personally i always keep at least 20 ip's out of the DHCP for static and/or multiple ip's etc. typically 192.168.1.234 - 192.168.1.254 Even if you dont take the IP out of the DHCP pool if you set your ND to have an IP of 192.168.1.253 its highly unlikely that your router would ever allocate that IP (unless you manage to get 252 other devices connected to your network) as SOHO routers tend to always allocate up the range i.e. lowest numbers first

Even a static IP results in the same socket exceptions. Since I'm going to open source the project I want both DHCP and static IP solutions to work. Niels

#49191 Wifi bridge (e.g. Vonets VAP11G)

Posted by Niels R. on 07 May 2013 - 07:24 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'm currently building a device to monitor and control the fermentation of our home brewed beer using a Netduino Plus 2.

Since I don't want to drag an ethernet cable to the cellar I was planning on using a wifi bridge. After some searching I've bought a Vonets VAP11G. I tested the device using a desktop PC without a wifi adapter (also, a Windows computer is needed to set up the wifi bridge. It worked flawless, although the range is bit disappointing.

The next step is testing the wifi bridge with my little Fermentator project. And here started the frustration...

Although I see DHCP requests on my router log, the IP on the device is reported as 0.0.0.0. Opening a socket for listening or sending results in a SocketException. Changing the IP to static doesn't change a thing.

Once I was able to perform some network stuff, but the next reboot of the device resulted in the above behaviour.

Plugging in a ethernet cable makes the device run my code happily...

My question: does anyone have experience using a wifi bridge on a Netduino Plus? If so, which one did work for you?

Kind regards,

Niels

PS: I've found one mention of "Vonets" on the forum, but nothing useful.

#49216 Wifi bridge (e.g. Vonets VAP11G)

Posted by Niels R. on 08 May 2013 - 07:42 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Hanzibal,

I can't seem to find a European dealer for the Edimax, but I've ordered an Asus WL-330N for about 34 EUR.

So... let's hope this works better than the Vonets VAP11G I already have.

Niels

#49332 Wifi bridge (e.g. Vonets VAP11G)

Posted by Niels R. on 10 May 2013 - 12:33 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have used the older version (ASUS WL-330gE) and it works just fine. Some setup instructions for the Xbox, but basically the same procedure for all ethernet bridging with this adapter,

http://www.theicecav...a-wireless.html

A bit of searching shows,

http://www.h-online....8n-a630263.html

Baxter

Thanks for the H-Online link, but if you click through you'll notice that the Edimax is either out of stock or totally overpriced (2x,00 EUR + 20,00 EUR shipping or 5x,00 EUR and 5 EUR shipping, etc).

I'm awaiting the arrival of my Asus and I'll see how it goes.

Niels

#51701 Hardware watchdog support

Posted by Niels R. on 26 July 2013 - 08:12 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi,

I was wondering when the hardware watchdog on de N2+ will be supported.

As the network stack is a bit buggy, this really needs to be implemented. I have to manually reset my device twice a day as the network thread has blocked all other threads (and a software watchdog is unusable).

I'm currently looking at an external watchdog circuit using the 74HC4060, but I don't see the point adding hardware complexity when it is already there...

Kind regards,

Niels R.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.