Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

ShVerni's Content

There have been 13 items by ShVerni (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#60783 Simple switch detection circuit - don't want to fry board

Posted by ShVerni on 23 November 2014 - 05:47 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Rob,

You're perfectly on point that your circuit it will work just fine. The Netduio's digital pins are 5V tolerant even though they operate at 3.3V. That is to say, they output 3.3V signals, but will accept 5V or 3.3V signals as input. That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to go with 3.3V, it will even save a miniscule amount of power (though really, not enough be worthwhile is all but the most power sensitive applications). As a word of caution: the Netduino's analog pins, when not operating as digital pins, are NOT 5V tolerant, and using a 5V signal could damage them. To be safe, I try to only use 3.3V signals with the analog pins.

As a point of nomenclature, a resister tied to ground is a pull-down (down to 0) and a resistor tied to VCC is a pull-up.

Good luck!

#60932 BLUETOOTH Module

Posted by ShVerni on 10 December 2014 - 01:06 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hello,

I've had success using these modules to connect to phones via Bluetooth:

http://www.dx.com/p/...t-module-104299

They're cheap, easy modules to get a serial Bluetooth connection going, but keep in mind they are slave only, so they won't allow two Netduino's to talk to each other; you need a phone, tablet, or computer to act as a master.

I used them in my urban garden project, and you can find the source code for the Netduino using the Bluetooth controller in that project's source code here:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

It's in the "Controllers" sub folder. That code also shows how the Bluetooth class is used.

I hope that helps!

#61127 First project advice for hardware: Temperature, humidity and wifi

Posted by ShVerni on 03 January 2015 - 03:59 AM in General Discussion

Hello and welcome!

If you want to get accurate, and easy, temperature and humidity readings I recommend HIH6130. It's not the cheapest out there, but it easy and quick to get up and running:

http://forums.netdui...er-hih6130-i2c/

You could also try the cheaper HTU1D, but I have no experience with that, so I can't tell you how it would work, but it looks simple enough.

http://forums.netdui...umidity-sensor/

Good luck!

#61139 First project advice for hardware: Temperature, humidity and wifi

Posted by ShVerni on 04 January 2015 - 04:10 AM in General Discussion

I don't know much about that sensor, but that looks good. You won't need a soldering iron to do breadboard work, but if you want to make something more permanent, they're indispensable. The only thing is, you'll need a good amount of jumper wires (upwards of a dozen at least), so as long as you have that it looks like you're off to a great start. Please do keep us informed of how things go!

Best of luck!

#61177 First project advice for hardware: Temperature, humidity and wifi

Posted by ShVerni on 05 January 2015 - 10:35 PM in General Discussion

Agreed. I have a large supply of every possible type of jumper, and the all come in handy. Still, for just starting out, the male-male will be most useful if everything is being done on a breadboard, but it never hurts to have more jumpers!

#63013 Automated Urban Garden

Posted by ShVerni on 02 June 2015 - 11:15 AM in Project Showcase

I do use a digital output to keep the moisture sensor mostly unpowered, but I like your idea of tinning them with solder.

Your project sounds interesting, and I like the idea of flood fill, be sure to share how that all works once it's up and running!

#63268 Automated Urban Garden

Posted by ShVerni on 26 June 2015 - 11:29 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Giuliano,

I'm sorry you're having trouble accessing the drive, it seems to have public access set up, but who knows what the whims of Google are. Anyway, the moisture sensor I use is this one.

If you need access to any of the code or materials that you can't access in the Google Drive folder, PM me and I'll try to send it to you.

I've also been drooling over the Netduino WiFi, I think it'd make a great addition to the project, you'll have to let us know how it goes!

#63415 Automated Urban Garden

Posted by ShVerni on 07 July 2015 - 07:22 PM in Project Showcase

Hello,

This is the pump I'm using:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B009X6ADCM/

You'll need a 12V power supply for it, but really, any pump will work as long as it can be plugged in.

#64222 More Digital I/O

Posted by ShVerni on 04 October 2015 - 12:19 AM in Netduino 3

Hello,

I agree completely with Mark, if you just need a few extra outputs or inputs, 74H shift-registers are excellent and simple. If you want something that's a bit more capable (ports can be configured as inputs or outputs, they have pull-up resistors, and there are interrupts), I've found MCP23S08/MCP23S17 to be very useful, and they don't require any additional components, just like a 74HC595, it only needs a few extra pin connections to the Netduino, and you can add sixteen extra ports with one chip.

If you do use one of the expanders and have any questions let me know, and good luck!

#64288 More Digital I/O

Posted by ShVerni on 12 October 2015 - 04:01 PM in Netduino 3

I'm afraid I don't, but here's the hookups you need for the MCP23S08:

MCP23S08       Netduino

SCK (1)     -->  13 (SPCK)

SI (2)         -->  11 (MOSI)

SO (3)       -->  12 (MISO)

A1 (4)        -->  GND

A0 (5)        -->  GND

RESET (6) -->  3.3V

CS (7)        --> 10

INT (8) Not connected (optional)

VSS (9)      --> GND

VDD (18)   --> 3.3V

The MCP23S17 is much the same (except the pin numbers are different) but it has an additional address pin A2 that is connected to ground. The address pins (A0, A1) define the address of the chip, and are used when initializing the chip like so:

// Use "new MCP23S08(CS pin, address)" to initialize an expander 
MCP23S08 expander = new MCP23S08(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D10, 0x00);

When A0 and A1 are both connected to ground, the address is 0x00. Here's a table of addresses for the MCP23S08:

A0       A1      Address

GND   GND   0x00

3.3V   GND   0x01

GND   3.3V   0x02

3.3V   3.3V   0x03

#64323 Automated Urban Garden

Posted by ShVerni on 17 October 2015 - 06:57 PM in Project Showcase

For my simple needs I don't use  pH sensor. I couldn't find a simple pH soil probe, and anyway the solution pH meters are generally pretty expensive. Sorry I can't be more help, but if you do find a soil pH probe, I'd like to hear about it!

#64436 More Digital I/O

Posted by ShVerni on 02 November 2015 - 10:25 PM in Netduino 3

Please do keep us posted, I'd be interested to see what changes you make to the driver, as I'm certain it could use some improvements!

#64445 More Digital I/O

Posted by ShVerni on 03 November 2015 - 10:23 PM in Netduino 3

I really like to use OSH Park, and have had excellent results from them. They prefer you use Eagle from Cadsoft, but they accept gerber files from any PCB design program. You can find details here:

https://oshpark.com/guidelines

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.